What's new

Amazon reduces free shipping fees (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As a prime subscriber, it is cold comfort to me. It ticks me off that the bill that triggered Amazon to start charging sales tax in AR, failed in committee. There will be no law requiring them to do this. Yet, Amazon is apparently going thru with it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You can get most of your sales tax back from Amazon if you use their credit card (issued through Chase) and are a Prime member. Amazon just increased the points percentage from 3% to 5% for everything purchased through Amazon for Prime members using this card. I use this as my primary credit card, as purchases at restaurants and gas stations is 2%, while everything else is 1%. The reward points add up in a hurry, and I buy enough at Amazon to make it worthwhile.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a prime subscriber, it is cold comfort to me. It ticks me off that the bill that triggered Amazon to start charging sales tax in AR, failed in committee. There will be no law requiring them to do this. Yet, Amazon is apparently going thru with it.
I can blame Amazon for some things, but this one I won't go there.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You can get most of your sales tax back from Amazon if you use their credit card (issued through Chase) and are a Prime member. Amazon just increased the points percentage from 3% to 5% for everything purchased through Amazon for Prime members using this card. I use this as my primary credit card, as purchases at restaurants and gas stations is 2%, while everything else is 1%. The reward points add up in a hurry, and I buy enough at Amazon to make it worthwhile.
I take it the points earned must be redeemed at Amazon? We currently have a Chase card and the Amazon card which we got to get a $40 credit. We use the other card which earns points which we redeem for a statement credit. I guess I should look at the merits of the respective cards.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, the points earned must be used at Amazon. I purchase enough through them, though, that it's just as good as cash back in my case. The only things I have not been able to use the points for are pre-orders (which makes sense somewhat) and Kindle books (which doesn't make sense).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, the points earned must be used at Amazon. I purchase enough through them, though, that it's just as good as cash back in my case. The only things I have not been able to use the points for are pre-orders (which makes sense somewhat) and Kindle books (which doesn't make sense).
I don't understand their thinking on either pre-orders or ebooks. Why should either be excluded?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With pre-orders, the logic may have something to do with if you cancel the order and having difficulty refunding the points. However, I can apply gift card balances to pre-orders, so the restriction doesn't make complete sense.

I have no idea why there is a restriction on Kindle books. I have used points to purchase an actual Kindle device in the past, but I cannot order books.

Anyway, I buy enough other stuff on Amazon that it's not a huge issue for me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
With pre-orders, the logic may have something to do with if you cancel the order and having difficulty refunding the points. However, I can apply gift card balances to pre-orders, so the restriction doesn't make complete sense.

I have no idea why there is a restriction on Kindle books. I have used points to purchase an actual Kindle device in the past, but I cannot order books.

Anyway, I buy enough other stuff on Amazon that it's not a huge issue for me.
If they are worried about pre-orders being canceled, wouldn't waiting until the order is shipped to actually charge the points, fix the problem. Boy is that a poorly written sentence.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If they are worried about pre-orders being canceled, wouldn't waiting until the order is shipped to actually charge the points, fix the problem. Boy is that a poorly written sentence.

Except there are no guarantees that the points will still be available when the order is shipped -- you could deplete your account of points on other purchases between the time the pre-order is placed and when it ships. Amazon deducts gift card balances immediately upon placing a pre-order for this reason.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I'm not impressed by the new policy of free shipping of book orders of $25 or more. I ordered two in-stock books that came to $30 on 22 February, and they didn't get around to shipping them until 8 March. That's a 14 day delay from order to shipping.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Inevitable I think.

Made a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

Not collecting the sales tax (which everyone knows is supposed to be paid anyway by the consumer via their state income tax returns) was smart when they were starting out and attracting customers.

But now that they are the 600-pound gorilla, and building new distribution centers everywhere and anywhere they can easily acquiesce on that point. It makes the states happy and customers should realize that it's just the end of a nice deal.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When there was a product sold by Amazon and also sold by Acme Inc and fulfilled by Amazon, I always picked Amazon, even if it was a couple bucks higher. On friday I ordered an item that Amazon wanted $5 more, so I went with the Acme Inc. They were $5 less and no sales tax.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
When there was a product sold by Amazon and also sold by Acme Inc and fulfilled by Amazon, I always picked Amazon, even if it was a couple bucks higher. On friday I ordered an item that Amazon wanted $5 more, so I went with the Acme Inc. They were $5 less and no sales tax.
I wonder how long it will be before all merchants using Amazon as a platform will be required to charge the state sales tax, as well?

When I started ordering via Amazon Canada in the fall of 2011, the Ontario Provincial Sales Tax was already being applied. Whether or not this was ever any different with them, I have no idea. It was only with third party merchants that sales tax wasn't collected. As it stands, some of those who weren't charging the tax in 2011, have since begun doing so within the last year or two, and this includes U.S. based Amazon Marketplace merchants that use Amazon Canada as a sales platform.

CHEERS! :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well I'm not impressed by the new policy of free shipping of book orders of $25 or more. I ordered two in-stock books that came to $30 on 22 February, and they didn't get around to shipping them until 8 March. That's a 14 day delay from order to shipping.
That is too long, even for free shipping. I would register a complaint about this, Amazon might respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks