What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Transformers: The Last Knight is a bloated and over-stuffed feast for the eyes and ears, but a complete  waste of a movie. In other words, a typical Michael Bay film.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
This is on SciFi right now and the flipping between three aspect ratios within the same scene really looks stupid.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is on SciFi right now and the flipping between three aspect ratios within the same scene really looks stupid.

Bay’s use of different aspect ratios is the most random and nonsensical use of that technique I’ve seen to date. I normally love that stuff but in Bay’s movies, he’s somehow found a way to rob it of its effectiveness.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Bay’s use of different aspect ratios is the most random and nonsensical use of that technique I’ve seen to date. I normally love that stuff but in Bay’s movies, he’s somehow found a way to rob it of its effectiveness.
Completely agree with both of you in this quote from my review:

For example, in the conversation between Vivian, Burton, Cogman, and Cade that begins at 1:09:55, nearly all of Vivian’s shots (except one brief reaction) are in the 2.0:1 ratio, while the men are shown almost entirely in the 2.39:1 ratio. There is no artistic reasoning that I can think of behind this, other than to show her cleavage that would have otherwise been cropped in 2.39:1.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Completely agree with both of you in this quote from my review:
You're saying it like it's a BAD thing ;).

Art and Michael Bay are seldom used in the same sentence without a negative modifier.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Back when I reviewed in 2017, I had to pick between 3D and 4K and I went 3D.

Got a cheap copy of the 4K and watched it.

Overall thought it looked amazing... except the HDR could be too "overdone".

Ie, bright shots were REALLY bright - just cranked to 11.

Does anyone else think this was a trend in early 4Ks? I can't remember the last time I dealt with a "too bright" 4K, but some of these releases from the format's early days tend to seem like they went crazy with HDR.

My impression is that those behind 4Ks were kids/candy store with HDR off the bat but they've tended to tone things down to more natural levels as the format's matured...

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Overall thought it looked amazing... except the HDR could be too "overdone".

Ie, bright shots were REALLY bright - just cranked to 11.

Does anyone else think this was a trend in early 4Ks? I can't remember the last time I dealt with a "too bright" 4K, but some of these releases from the format's early days tend to seem like they went crazy with HDR.

My impression is that those behind 4Ks were kids/candy store with HDR off the bat but they've tended to tone things down to more natural levels as the format's matured...

I don't know if this was so much a trend with 4K as it was a trend with Michael Bay. Bay's aesthetic has aways favored overcranked colors and contrasts.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this was so much a trend with 4K as it was a trend with Michael Bay. Bay's aesthetic has aways favored overcranked colors and contrasts.

No, I think it was a thing with earlier 4Ks. I noticed overcranked whites/contrast on other 4Ks of this one's era way more often than titles from the last few years.

I watched Bay's "Ambulance" 4K immediately before I screened "Last Knight" 4K and it wasn't nearly as overdone, so it's not just Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks