What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any love for TOYS ? (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I know this was not very popular but I think its a surrealist masterpiece. Twilight Time may be the only hope on this one.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Me either. I thought it was unwatchable.

However the trailer was terrific. Go figure. :huh:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's not that great of a movie, but it's at least fascinating for the visuals. It certainly was prophetic in the way it depicts modern warfare as waged with robots and video games. I'm curious to see how it holds up after almost 30 years.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The set design is immaculate, the casting is great, and the soundtrack is nothing to sniff at*, but the script is…off. War toys are bad because they glorify war…except when they're needed to fight other war toys? Somehow the cognitive dissonance of that message got lost underneath the production. The ending kind of reminds me of the Disney version of Babes in Toyland, also a flawed film with excellent production design, which pretty much ends the same way.

It also had the misfortune of competing with that other movie Robin Williams made in 1992, Aladdin. Everyone at my school was talking about that, and a year later, everyone was talking about Mrs. Doubtfire. No one was talking about Toys except my mother, who couldn't make hide nor hair of it.

*They actually made us dance to that Enya song in elementary school dance class.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks