What's new

The Holdovers (2023) blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received and watched this eagerly anticipated film, on the US blu-ray, this evening. It doesn't premiere theatrically in Norway until January 26th. The film is another masterpiece from Alexander Payne. Strikingly unsentimental, even though there are some very deep moments, interspersed with the hilarious dialogue. I first noticed Paul Giamatti in American Splendor, even though he had had smaller parts in other films before that. I think he even tops his performance in Sideways, in this one.

However, one thing was glaringly obvious: the film master used for the blu-ray was speckled throughout the entire movie! I don't recall that I've ever seen a blu-ray from a new film look like it's been through its first run at the cinema! When I saw the retro "R-rating" card before the titles, I thought that the speckles were a deliberate attempt to invoke some Tarantino-esque '70's cinema vibe. But the speckles continued throughout the entire movie - not very obtrusively, mind. None of my other friends noticed. Would be interesting to hear if the streaming version is similarly affected. And I will definitely check out the DCP, when it hits the cinema. Othewise, the picture quality was fine. I wish they could have sprung for a 4K UHD - many of the darkly lit scenes were affected by crush and I reckon a 4K UHD would have handled those scenes better.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I watched the streaming version on Peacock over the weekend. The speckles were there too. I took it to be a stylistic device, along with the vintage logos, of trying to make it look like a movie from the 1970s. It didn't add anything to the movie, IMHO.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The “speckles” and black crush were deliberate and included in the DCP. The film was shot digitally and graded to look like a slightly faded/used 70s film print, contemporary to the film’s setting. Aside from more efficient encoding and higher bitrates, I doubt a UHD would benefit the film much given the intended aesthetic.

Great film, though, and a return to form for Alexander Payne. His best since Sideways IMO. In my top 10 of 2023.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Due to the humour, outstanding performances and dialogue, this is going to be a film with great repeat viewing potential, just like for many of Payne's films - particularly, Sideways. Downsizing suffered greatly from not having one of Payne's usual tight and good scripts.

I noticed in the opening titles, that the film was, initially, ready for release in 2021; it certainly took the production companies a long time to find a release window. It seems to have paid off, though. It's the first time I've seen a Miramax-produced film for eons.

IMG_6531.jpeg

Quite remarkable how much visual effects are used in smaller, low-budget films, these days. It was very obvious, when seeing one of the "deleted scenes", included as bonus material, how they've added snow, here and there, throughout the film, for continuity.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Due to the humour, outstanding performances and dialogue, this is going to be a film with great repeat viewing potential, just like for many of Payne's films - particularly, Sideways. Downsizing suffered greatly from not having one of Payne's usual tight and good scripts.

I noticed in the opening titles, that the film was, initially, ready for release in 2021; it certainly took the production companies a long time to find a release window. It seems to have paid off, though. It's the first time I've seen a Miramax-produced film for eons.

View attachment 208562

Quite remarkable how much visual effects are used in smaller, low-budget films, these days. It was very obvious, when seeing one of the "deleted scenes", included as bonus material, how they've added snow, here and there, throughout the film, for continuity.
The roman numerals are for 1971 - not 2021.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The film was completed in 2022. It was produced by Miramax and screened privately for distributors at the 2022 Toronto Film Festival. Following that screening, Focus Features bought the worldwide distribution rights for $30 million and held it for release until the 2023 awards season.

davy2

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Started watching on Peacock last night. Not a Paul Giamatti fan to be sure, probably because he's in movies I don't care to watch typically (kind of like Mark Ruffalo). TBH, I am still not sure this movie is Oscar-worthy (don't hate me) but his acting, along with the rest of the cast, is REALLY good, I have to admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks