What's new

Universal Complete Monsters 30 Film Collection $69 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just jumped on this.

Now I have to get a Creature replacement disc

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just jumped on this.

Now I have to get a Creature replacement disc
Yeah, I posted about this sale in two other threads earlier today. Unfortunately for me I already own most of these films except the Creature set which I have no interest in as I only like the first Creature film that I have on 3-D BD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How do we know?

And is Amazon blowing out the old sets at fire sale prices to make way for the new set?

Again, how do we know which version we are getting?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How do we know?

And is Amazon blowing out the old sets at fire sale prices to make way for the new set?

Again, how do we know which version we are getting?
I haven't heard if there's any way to know for sure. But either way, either you'll get the corrected disc in the set or you can send away for it later if the Revenge of the Creature 3D disc you get is still incorrect (it sounds like they fixed the 3D version, but not the 2D version).

Amazon has not been selling this set at all for several weeks, so I'd like to assume they just got new stock from Universal with the corrected 3D disc and are trying to boost sales before Halloween is over.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think it's been reported that these sets now contain the replacement disc.
Unfortunately, based on numerous posts, mostly at the Blu-ray.com website, the replacement disc has only been half corrected, with the 3-D version now sporting Blu-ray quality, but the 2-D version still looking DVD quality. It could be possible the SBS video files were left on the revised Revenge disc.

Paging Bob Furmanek?

CHEERS! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
SBS files won't play back in 2-D. If there's a problem - there are two posters reporting - that's not it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There's no way to speculate until more people get the disc and report. I'll have my set Thursday.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I missed out on the deal of the day in October, but ive been following the price on Amazon and it dropped down to $79 today. Not as good as $69, but at $2.66 per movie still a tremendous bargain.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Yep, I jumped on that. I was hoping to see a good price this month. I didn't expect that low.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Yeah, I saw that, which is why I was wondering if it would resurface.

Reading some of the reviews of the 4k discs it looks like there was some grain removal done and the end result is not pretty and that overall, the Blu-ray Discs are the better-looking viewing choice.

Just reading bits and pieces so not certain. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade the set. Maybe if this deal from GRUV is offered again or if Amazon drops the set down to $49 for Black Friday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Reading some of the reviews of the 4k discs it looks like there was some grain removal done and the end result is not pretty and that overall, the Blu-ray Discs are the better-looking viewing choice.

Just reading bits and pieces so not certain. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade the set. Maybe if this deal from GRUV is offered again or if Amazon drops the set down to $49 for Black Friday.
That's a matter of opinion that I disagree with.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Glenn Erickson (aka CineSavant, formerly DVDSavant) has quite a bit to say on the subject:

Various quotes from the review:
How do we distinguish ‘what we’ve always seen’ from ‘what is really correct?’ Watching at night in a darkened room I liked the 4K better, even if the blacks looked a little crushed. In broad daylight, in a non- ‘home theater’ situation, I’d like the Blu-ray more. The 4K in broad daylight might seem far, far too dark.

So yes, my take on this new Universal Classic Monsters Icons of Horror Collection is that the two different formats give radically different images. The Universal technical managers take their work very seriously, so I’ll accept that the darker images were chosen for a reason, perhaps to replicate a real ‘theatrical’ look — which is what 4K was meant to do. The Ultra-HD encoding indeed yields a dramatic look in Home Theater situations on larger than normal screens, with lowered lights as in a theatrical venue.

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment’s 4K Ultra-HD + Blu-ray + Digital of Universal Classic Monsters Icons of Horror Collection is a natural gift buy, should you know a horror fan with ‘home theater’ on his mind, or if you know he hasn’t seen these pictures on Blu-ray. Since both formats are present, you can’t miss. Just remember that your 4K player and your TV need to be set up properly for a 24fps film source — no ‘sports’ settings and no motion smoothing, or the on-screen action will really suffer.

Nowhere in the packaging is it claimed that these scans or restorations are new. The shows were optimized at 4K years ago when the first Blu-ray set came out, because I saw parts of two of them at TCMfest screenings back then. We’re looking at the same restorations as on the Blu-rays, but encoded at the higher resolution, with different contrast settings. They are encoded for HDR,which should improve the contrast even further, but seeing them on an SDR player shouldn’t erase detail.

After reading his comments I'd say there are, generally, no issues *if* viewed correctly. And that's a huge *if* as systems can vary so much with settings, size, etc. that it's going to be hard to quantify what people are seeing vs. what they *want* to see. He has many good things to say about the 4K discs and the way the films are presented on that format. I tend to trust his opinions and judgement.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

It's back in stock now.
$44 with GRUVLOYAL20 code which is still working as of this writing. I believe that has been the best price so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks