What's new

Emergency breaking fourth wall (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I’m watching the first season episode where johnny is lamenting over an Adam 12 episode he missed the end of, well not talking about the obvious shameless plug of your other series, wasn’t Emergency spun off of Adam 12 or didn’t they do a crossover at some point???

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The season 5 episode of Adam-12 "Lost and Found" spends a lot of time at the Rampart Hospital. Most of the cast of Emergency makes an appearance.
vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h09m52s141.png
vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h14m22s703.png

vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h16m40s359.png

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I don't recall the show being a spinoff of Adam-12. If anything, I think Jack Webb and Robert A. Cinader simply wanted to expand out of police shows and took advantage of the newly formed paramedic programs to tell a new series of stories. In the end, the show did more to promote the benefits of paramedic teams than any other publicity campaign in existence at the time.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Back then, Universal re-used various actors for different roles among all of their shows. There were a lot of crossovers between the various shows. Emergency, Chips, Adam-12 and many of the staple Universal Studios TV shows were, possibly, the first integrated universe, before the MCU and the Arrowverse was ever a concept. It was funny becvause I think Emergency was an indirect spinoff from Chips.

I'm also aware that other studios experimented with this concept, such as The Jeffersons and Maude, which were direct spinoffs from All in the Family. It's funny when I hear people say that MCU and Arrowverse were original 'cinematic universes' when in reality, they weren't. Universal also experimented in the 80's when they engaged in crossovers between Magnum P.I., Simon and Simon and Murder She Wrote.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Reminds me of Green Acres. When that series started in 1965 the casts of that show and Petticoat Junction frequently crossed over to the other show. The characters of the first Paul Henning series The Beverly Hillbillies weren't referenced at all until the Green Acres characters did a local theatre production in 1967 based on the TV SERIES The Beverly Hillbillies (with Lisa playing Granny and Oliver playing Jethro). However, later in the series Petticoat Junction (after star Bea Benederet's death), Granny (now a real person) made an appearance to help out with Betty Jo and Steve's new baby. Less than a month later at Thanksgiving 1968 the casts of all three shows met up in Beverly Hills for Thanksgiving dinner. Now it was said the Bea Benederet's two characters (Kate on Petticoat Junction and Pearl on Beverly Hillbillies) were related since they looked so much like each other!

Attachments

• bevhillthanks.jpg
    bevhillthanks.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 109

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I doubt that considering "Emergency" premiered a few years before "Chips" did.

Well, it's been awhile since I last watched but I recall an episode early on in Chips where one of the older fire trucks appears in an episode of CHiPs that happened to be the paramedics from a fire station. The reason it stands out to me is that in the first episode of Emergency, there is a similar emergency vehicle before John and Roy are transferred to Station 51, which featured the newer fire department paramedic vehicle that became the staple of the TV series.

While it's true there was no backdoor pilot in CHiPs, it just reminds me of that episode. The older style fire trucks had come out of the late 60's before they were eventually redesigned. But, after looking for the information on the just just now, you're right in that Emergency predated CHiPs so I stand corrected. It was just odd that CHiPs featured one of the older classic 1960's fire trucks on the television series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks