What's new

Disney+ Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon

Genre: Action, Adventure

Director: Don Hall, Carlos López Estrada

Cast: Kelly Marie Tran, Awkwafina

Release: 2021-03-05

Plot: A combination of classic Disney and kung-fu movies. The film is set in a mysterious land called Kumandra. The region is split into five sections, and Raya is a warrior on the search for the last dragon in the world.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just announced at D23, the next movie from Walt Disney Animation Studios after Frozen II is a non-sequel (yay!) called Raya and the Last Dragon. It releases in the normal Disney Animation timeframe of Thanksgiving 2020. The voice cast includes Cassie Steele and Awkwafina. The directors are Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins.

Interestingly, this means Awkwafina will now be working for Disney animation on this as well as Disney live-action (as the voice of Scuttle in The Little Mermaid remake) and Marvel (in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.) How long until Lucasfilm adds her to the Star Wars universe too? Just saying.

Belated edit to correct a formatting error.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those of you online now, Disney is streaming "The Art of Disney Storytelling" panel from D23 on the D23 Facebook page. Paul Briggs (director of Raya and the Last Dragon and head of the story department on Frozen) is one of the panelists.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There have been some staffing changes on this film.

Kelly Marie Tran is now voicing the lead character of Raya. She replaces Cassie Steele, who was announced in the role at D23 last year.

Also, the film is now being directed by Don Hall (whose previous credits include the 2011 Winnie the Pooh and Big Hero 6) and Carlos López Estrada, who comes to Disney after having directed the excellent Blindspotting in 2018. Paul Briggs, who was announced as director at D23, is now listed as co-director. I have updated the information in the first post accordingly.

As of right now, the movie is maintaining its release date of March 12, 2021.

Disney has also released a new teaser image from the movie. Since it is the first thing we have from the film, I went ahead and made it the cover image at the top of this thread.

Raya.jpg

Entertainment Weekly has a couple interviews about the film.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney debuted this great teaser poster today on their social media. The trailer arrives tomorrow.

Raya.jpg

That being said, "in theaters March 2021" feels extremely optimistic at this point, given the state of the world in particular and the cratering box office specifically. If Disney doesn't want to push the film back, I would not be at all surprised to see this follow Soul to a Disney+ debut.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure what makes it look like "Disney+ material" from having only seen one low resolution image of the character's costume before we've even seen any footage or have any idea what the movie is like.

Depending on the state of the world and the movie business by March, it may very well end up there.

However, it was produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios with the intention of being a theatrical film. If there was no pandemic, it absolutely would be one. In fact, without a pandemic it was originally scheduled to be released next month, before Soul was moved to Thanksgiving. Whether or not it debuts on Disney+, I do not expect the quality to be substandard.

Disney Animation has been on a roll lately with a lot of great movies. At present, I don't see any reason to think this won't be one of them.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree. Disney Animation has produced one strong film after another for about the last 10 years. There's no reason to think that won't continue, until, of course, it doesn't. I'm more than willing to give Raya the benefit of the doubt.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What's with the giant armadillo? I thought this was about a dragon?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's with the giant armadillo?

As seen in the trailer @Sam Favate posted back on October 21, he is Raya's sidekick.

I thought this was about a dragon?

According to the trailer, Raya has to find the last dragon. If a significant portion of the movie is about searching for the dragon, perhaps they don't want to reveal his/her look in the posters.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Raya and the Last Dragon will be releasing simultaneously on Disney+ and theaters on March 5, 2021. The Disney+ release will carry a Premier Access surcharge similar to Mulan. Incidentally, its previous release date was March 12, so this actually bumps it up by a week. I would love to see this in a theater, but unless I have the vaccine by March (and I don't expect to), I'll be streaming it as soon as I can get it.

Raya.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Due to the virus, I will be seeing this on Disney+ and not in theaters. I'm glad I won't have to wait to see it. But I hate the circumstances, because I really wish I could see this on a big screen in a normal, non-COVID environment.

There's a new poster as well:

Raya.jpg

and the front cover image of The Art of Raya and the Last Dragon book:

Art of Raya.jpg

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks