What's new

Flat Blu rays of 3D Movies (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I collect every 3D Blu ray of every 3D movie I can, especially if I have seen it theatrically. I believe if the movie was shown in the theatre in 3D, that is the way it was meant to be seen. (I wouldn’t watch a wide screen movie in Academy ratio at home either).

Increasingly however more 3D movies are only released flat on Blu ray. Most enthusiasts have been able to buy 3D discs from Europe or Hong Kong that were not available in North America, I thought it might be useful to make a list of titles shown in 3D in the theatre but not available on disc anywhere. I’ll start:

Men In Black International
Mission Impossible Fallout
X Men Dark Phoenix

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I collect every 3D Blu ray of every 3D movie I can, especially if I have seen it theatrically. I believe if the movie was shown in the theatre in 3D, that is the way it was meant to be seen. (I wouldn’t watch a wide screen movie in Academy ratio at home either).

Increasingly however more 3D movies are only released flat on Blu ray. Most enthusiasts have been able to buy 3D discs from Europe or Hong Kong that were not available in North America, I thought it might be useful to make a list of titles shown in 3D in the theatre but not available on disc anywhere. I’ll start:

Men In Black International
Mission Impossible Fallout
X Men Dark Phoenix
None of those were shot in 3D. They were post-converted. I disagree that if a movie was shown in 3D that it always means that is the way it was meant to be seen. Some 3D conversions are studio-imposed against the wishes of the filmmakers. But yeah, if the filmmakers are on board with the conversion then the studios should at least be willing to make the 3D version available for home viewing.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Wonder Park
Hotel Transylvania 3 (but is available in 3D on Vudu)
Pete's Dragon
Nutcracker and the Four Realms
Sherlock Gnomes
The Emoji Movie
Trolls
Bumblebee
Missing Link
A Wrinkle in Time
Captain Underpants
Ferdinand
Money From Home
Starchaser the Legend of Orin (was on 3D field-sequential VHD in Japan)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Money from Home - the title that could have been released while Jerry was still with us. Sigh...

Let's take a little look at the numbers -- because, after all, that's was studio execs and other rights-holders and distributors have to pay attention to.

Here are some comps on some Golden Age blu-ray releases:

Title 3D or Flat Blu? Amazon Sales Rank

The Maze 3D # 13,134
Gog 3D # 34,918
House of Wax 3D # 58,928
Dragonfly Squadron 3D # 100,279
Money from Home Flat (oops!) # 139.961

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I thought I’d resurrect this thread. I am still a 3D die hard. Of course lately I have had to buy my movies in “flat”. I hear about 3D versions being sold in other countries. In the past I have bought 3D blus from Britain and Germany. Is there any place on the internet which lists what countries may have 3D versions that are not available in North America?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I thought I’d resurrect this thread. I am still a 3D die hard. Of course lately I have had to buy my movies in “flat”. I hear about 3D versions being sold in other countries. In the past I have bought 3D blus from Britain and Germany. Is there any place on the internet which lists what countries may have 3D versions that are not available in North America?
Not the easiest thread to work through, but it is kept fairly UTD -- the first few posts list various versions. UK has been increasingly non 3D. Germany is still pretty active.

Some items released or announced recently

Japan Only --the Disney MovieNex items only seem to come in 4K/3D combo and like most JP releases are expensive. The MovieNex Digital Codes
could probably be sold to someone in Japan, but I've never quite found a place to sell them
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Shang-Chi
Black Widow

I don;t know specs and Region Codes on all of these, but the Bluray 3D forum and their database is usually is a good place to start.
Hotel Transylvania 3 -- AUS
Jumanji Next Level - AUS (via Random Space Media which also sells on Amazon.com with marketplace name PrimeDVD)
Monster Hunter -- Germany
Boss Baby - Family Business (S Korea, Germany, Hong Kong)

A number of the nWave items
Bigfoot Jr (Son of Bigfoot) -- the only English Friendly, uncropped version is from Brazil and may be OOP
Bigfoot Family (Belgium)
Corgi (Belgium/Netherlands)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Ron listed the domestic 3D of Dune in his pre-order thread. It's coming through Warner Archive (presumably, as their past few domestic new release 3D's have been issued that way).

Missed it, corrected previous post -- must have gotten washed out in all the BF/Holiday rush

New movies with no 3D disc announced yet though still far too early to know for sure with some of them

Sing 2
Venom 2
Spider-man - No Way Home
Encanto
Jungle Cruise
Luca
Ron's Gone Wrong
Eternals -- though fair hopeful on this one

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks