What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: The Departed (2006) (4k UHD SteelBook) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CleanShot 2024-03-05 at 15.06.33@2x.png

THE DEPARTED

COMES TO 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM AND DIGITAL

THE ACADEMY AWARD WINNING 2006 CRIME THRILLER FILM FROM ACCLAIMED DIRECTOR MARTIN SCORSESE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

Purchase the film on 4K Ultra HD Disc with Collectible Steelbook Packaging, 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital on April 23

Burbank, Calif., March 5, 2024 – The iconic crime thriller film The Departed from Academy Award® winning director Martin Scorsese (Raging Bull, Goodfellas) will be available for purchase on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital for the first time on April 23.

The Departed’s prestigious ensemble cast stars Academy Award winner Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant, The Wolf of Wall Street) , Academy Award winner Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting, The Martian), three time Academy Award Winner Jack Nicholson ( One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Terms of Endearment, As Good as it Gets), and Academy Award nominee Mark Wahlberg (The Fighter, Boogie Nights), with Emmy Award winner Martin Sheen (television’s “The West Wing,” Apocalypse Now), BAFTA nominee Ray Winstone (That Summer, Nil by Mouth), Academy Award nominee Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air), Academy Award nominee Alec Baldwin (The Cooler), Emmy nominee Anthony Anderson (television’s “Black-ish,” Hustle & Flow), and James Badge Dale in supporting roles.

Directed by Scorsese, the screenplay is by Academy Award Winner William Monahan and is based on the 2002 Hong Kong action thriller Internal Affairs by Alan Mak & Felix Chong. The film was produced by Brad Pitt, Brad Grey, and Graham King.

The Departed was nominated for 5 Academy Awards and won 4, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Film Editing and Best Adapted Screenplay.

The Departed will be available to purchase on April 23 on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc from online and in-store at major retailers and available for purchase Digitally from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu and more.

The Departed will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc with collectible steelbook packaging for $40.41 ERP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the theatrical version of the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital download of the film, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc for $33.99 ERP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the theatrical version of the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital download of the film. Fans can also own The Departed in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on April 23.

The 4K remaster of The Departed was completed at Warner Bros. Discovery’s Motion Picture Imaging (MPI) with the participation of the film’s Academy Award-wi nning editor Thelma Schoonmaker (Raging Bull, The Aviator).

About the Film

Martin Scorsese directs an all-star cast in this action-packed thriller set in Boston, where a long-simmering hostility between the police department and an Irish American gang led by Frank Costello is primed to explode. The fuse is lit when a gangster is chosen to infiltrate the police force – a young cop goes undercover within the gang. Now, when the two moles uncover each other’s identity, the battle begins.

The Departed Ultra HD Blu-ray disc and Digital contains the following new and previously released special features:

• Guilt and Betrayal: Looking into The Departed (new)
  • Stranger than Fiction: The True Story of Whitey Bulger, Southie, and The Departed
  • Crossing Criminal Cultures
  • 9 Deleted Scenes with introductions by Martin Scorsese

BASICS

PRODUCT ERP

The Departed 4K Ultra HD Steelbook $40.41

The Departed 4K Ultra HD $33.99

The Departed

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

Run Time: 151 minutes

Rating: R

Street Date: April 23, 2024

Digital Street Date: April 23, 2024

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Departed...11-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Pre-ordered. Even though this will likely be mastered from the 2K DI, it should be a significant improvement over the early Blu-ray, which used a filtered and bit-starved VC1 encode that was prepared for HD-DVD.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yes! One of America's greatest living directors deserves to have more space on the 4K UHD shelf, with Spielberg!

There was quite an extraordinary, and moving, profile of Scorsese in a recent GQ magazine (for Killers Of The Flower Moon release), where Scorsese reveals very personal details of his life. Like, how Scorsese's close friends are dying and how he hugs the ones who are left, for ten minutes, because it might be the last time. When did you last read something like that, in a film PR piece?

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
(except for Nicholson’s Boston accent).

As a Boston resident, what I find funny about that is that most people who live here do not have the stereotypical "Bahsten" accent. That really only comes from a very small subset of locals in the Southie and Dorchester neighborhoods. Had Nicholson used his regular speaking voice, no one would have thought twice about it. Yet every damn movie set in this city has to be inundated with "pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" dialogue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a Boston resident, what I find funny about that is that most people who live here do not have the stereotypical "Bahsten" accent. That really only comes from a very small subset of locals in the Southie and Dorchester neighborhoods. Had Nicholson used his regular speaking voice, no one would have thought twice about it. Yet every damn movie set in this city has to be inundated with "pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" dialogue.
The same with NYC accent particularly Brooklyn, Bronx or even Jersey accent.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I didn’t know what to make of the film on my first viewing, but to me it’s one of those that gets better the more often you watch it
(except for Nicholson’s Boston accent).
Cool cover art.
Worst Boston accent besides DiCaprio's in that movie, but the movie is so damn good and then there's Ray Winston don't get me started on his accent.
I wish they would just let them speak in their normal dialect

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
View attachment 212342

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Departed...11-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Also… Anybody else have an issue with this cover art?

I wish they would just use the original key art

It's beautiful, but the above why?

Just my opinion, but why not this?
IMG_4763.jpeg

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Also… Anybody else have an issue with this cover art?

I wish they would just use the original key art

It's beautiful, but the above why?

Just my opinion, but why not this?
View attachment 212412

Warner hasn't been getting accolades for their cover artwork lately. Instead of sticking to the original poster art they love to create something original which usually ends up being awful.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Warner hasn't been getting accolades for their cover artwork lately. Instead of sticking to the original poster art they love to create something original which usually ends up being awful.
Agreed Ron One hundred percent. 💯

I’m a personal fan of one-sheets
the original one-sheets.
especially on older releases.

I am just not into this whole let’s redo the artwork
I bring up the exorcist as an example of horrible artwork decision-making.
I bet the team that was in charge of that didn’t even see the film

they certainly didn’t have any respect for it

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do we have any clue how this 4K is being made? Is it being struck from the original camera negative?

The original camera negative wasn’t the master for the finished movie; the master was completed as a 2K DI, as was typical for a movie made in this particular time period. The overwhelming likelihood is that it will be sourced from the completed 2K DI. It should still represent an improvement over the original Blu-ray, as Kyle noted earlier in this thread, because the Blu-ray was created when the format was in its infancy and the early limitations of the format in disc space and compression did not allow it to be transparent to the 2K DI.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
The original camera negative wasn’t the master for the finished movie; the master was completed as a 2K DI, as was typical for a movie made in this particular time period. The overwhelming likelihood is that it will be sourced from the completed 2K DI. It should still represent an improvement over the original Blu-ray, as Kyle noted earlier in this thread, because the Blu-ray was created when the format was in its infancy and the early limitations of the format in disc space and compression did not allow it to be transparent to the 2K DI.
Disappointing, but I expected this
No, that’s not true, I was prepared for it

I figured 2006 was right around the time the 2K Digital Intermediate would be the source of this title.
I just hope the same won’t happen for the gangs of New York.
I remember buying the first departed Blu-ray, with the PCM audio track

and then I upgraded when it got a Dolby True HD 5.1 audio track I believe
I also think the original video end code was VC – I… not AVC, but I might be mistaken. I would have to check.

either way, we should see a greater level of detail and I’m excited for this

Now, if you could just get us the gangs of New York 4K, UHD, or better… If we could get a hold of the original cut by Martin Scorsese that Harvey wouldn’t allow to be distributed. The rumored four hour cut.
I have a personal work PRINT of gangs of New York that runs approximately three hours, so it’s not the full cut… It’s a VHS copy of one of the Marty submitted… Extremely blurry and hard to watch, but even so, far far superior to what was shown theatrically

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
VC-1 sounds right. Warner supported both BD and HD-DVD and both formats could use VC-1, which allowed Warner to make one home video master that could be used on both. But HD-DVD had significantly less capacity than BD, so any title prepped for both formats was capped at HD-DVD’s limitations. For a longer film like The Departed, it showed. But if you think the BD looks disappointing, it was still way better than the DVD, which I found to be surprisingly poor for a disc made at that time.

But the movie itself is so good that once it’s on, I quickly forget the technical quibbles in a way I might not have been able to for a lesser movie.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I just hope the same won’t happen for the gangs of New York.
Now, if you could just get us the gangs of New York 4K, UHD, or better…

As a 2002 production, Gangs of New York was made during the early days of the transition to the Digital Intermediate process, and I believe managed to avoid using one. At least, I don't think it had a full end-to-end DI, though it may have had a partial DI for VFX shots or scenes with digital background plates.

Gangs of New York has already had a couple Blu-ray editions. The first one had an atrocious transfer with tons of DNR and edge enhancement. Fortunately, it was remastered later in 2010 with a much better-looking disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks