Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Roku Announces 2019 Streaming Device Lineup
Roku-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was waiting on somebody to post this because last week, I saw some stuff on YouTube about their new devices. I'm with you about just offering HDR and not Dolby Vision which is why I won't buy the following device.

Roku Ultra
This revised model, which can stream 4K HDR10, includes a faster processor, a USB port and microSD slot for local media, a lost remote finder, power adapter, an RF voice-enabled remote with two programmable shortcut buttons and a 3.5mm headphone jack, and “premium” JBL earbuds. HDMI cable and microSD card are not included. MSRP is $99.99, and should begin to arrive in stores on October 13, 2019. Look for model 4670R to distinguish it from previous Roku Ultra models.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was waiting on somebody to post this because last week, I saw some stuff on YouTube about their new devices. I'm with you about just offering HDR and not Dolby Vision which is why I won't buy the following device.
Roku is really only "introducing" two new models here, and it almost feels like the only reason the Express and Ultra were upgraded is possibly because the processor they were using on each model had been discontinued and they were forced to make a revision. There is no reason whatsoever for the "new" Express and Express+ to have a single-band 2.4 GHz WiFi chipset in this day and age, or the Ultra and Ultra LT (are they even the same box - I was unable to determine that) to only support HDR10 and still only have a 10/100 ethernet port. The rest of these products are 1-2 years old. If Roku wants to remain competitive in the Streaming STB market, they will really need to revamp the entire lineup from the ground up - make the Express and Premiere dual-band WiFi, add dynamic HDR to its 4K models, and make the Ultra WiFi 6 capable plus a Gigabit Ethernet port.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought a Roku Ultra earlier this year - it was about $100 less than an AppleTV, and it was to be connected to the TV we use the least so it didn’t seem worth paying the extra for a second AppleTV.

I wish I had.

The top of the line Roku is inferior in almost every way to its Apple cousin. If I could do it over again, I’d make a different choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought a Roku Ultra earlier this year - it was about $100 less than an AppleTV, and it was to be connected to the TV we use the least so it didn’t seem worth paying the extra for a second AppleTV.

I wish I had.

The top of the line Roku is inferior in almost every way to its Apple cousin. If I could do it over again, I’d make a different choice.
There is a significant issue with Amazon 4K/HDR shows using the Amazon app on the ATV4K units in which HDR or Dolby Vision don't activate correctly.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I wish I had.

There is a significant issue with Amazon 4K/HDR shows using the Amazon app on the ATV4K units in which HDR or Dolby Vision don't activate correctly.
Like I said in a previous article, sadly, you still need more than one streaming device per display to get all of your streaming services the way you are supposed to get them. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Or you just decide to care less about services that are more of a hassle, since there’s already more stuff out there than there are hours in the day.

I wish the playback (on my 2018 model) was smoother and more user friendly. I don’t really care about the menu design not being as spiffy as Apple’s. I just wish it was a better video player than it is.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 2018 model Roku Premiere 4K at $40, including a certified high speed HDMI cable, is still their best deal. I have one for the Samsung 4K display in our master bedroom (no Dolby Vision), and it works just as well as the original model Roku Ultra installed in my main home theater. The added features of the new Ultra are not worth over twice the price, IMO.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The 2018 model Roku Premiere 4K at $40, including a certified high speed HDMI cable, is still their best deal. I have one for the Samsung 4K display in our master bedroom (no Dolby Vision), and it works just as well as the original model Roku Ultra installed in my main home theater. The added features of the new Ultra are not worth over twice the price, IMO.
My big complaint about the Premiere is the single band Wifi.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The best I can ever get it to connect at is 25 Mbps, and that's with the router in the same room.
That's definitely not good. I get a solid connection that supports 4K with no issues, and the Roku is in our 2nd floor bedroom while the wireless router is in my first floor den, which is right below our bedroom. I am using the wireless router from Xfinity instead of my own - - I got tired replacing my own routers every couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks