JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As media technology has advanced in the 21st Century, there has been the appearance of some new product categories. Music streamers are one of the most significant. Where video streamers like Roku, FireStick and Apple TV are the most common, and while they can be used for most music streaming services, dedicated audio streamers are also a significant sub-category. They include simple, “black boxes” like the BlueSound Node, and may or may not include an internal DAC (Digital to analog converter). Some are styled like conventional audio components, with a small display, like the Cambridge CXN v2, while others are much more elaborate, and expensive, with large touchscreens, like the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone...

Continue reading...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the review. Question - how are your local files being accessed? Do you have a hard drive connected directly to the unit or are you pulling from your network or a Plex-type server?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for the review. Question - how are your local files being accessed? Do you have a hard drive connected directly to the unit or are you pulling from your network or a Plex-type server?
I use an SSD connected to the rear USB port. It also has an internal M.2 SSD slot for storage, and while that sounds like a great solution, it just doesn't work as well in the real world as you'd hope. You can even connect a USB CD drive to rip from. The problem with all of that is, if you want to correct or change meta data, it has to be done using the app, which doesn't work as well as connecting the drive to a computer and doing it that way. It's also Roon ready and has AirPlay 2.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I have this unit and love it despite the occasional frustrations, such as the iOS app that has terrible lag between the app and the unit while trying to scroll through things. Using an Android tablet with the Android app also has the same issues . Unlike the Apple TV, this will play high-res files from Apple Music up to 192 khz beyond the basic lossless files that are the limit of the Apple TV. However, it will NOT pass Atmos signals, unlike the Apple TV. But the two-channel or 5.1 multichannel playback ( using iso files I have stored on the unit ) is so wonderful the loss of an Atmos option is not a deal-breaker (since I also have the Apple TV) .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have this unit and love it despite the occasional frustrations, such as the iOS app that has terrible lag between the app and the unit while trying to scroll through things. Using an Android tablet with the Android app also has the same issues .
Is that streaming, and is it with any particular service? I only use it to play back local files, so I haven't had that problem.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Is that streaming, and is it with any particular service? I only use it to play back local files, so I haven't had that problem.

Every single command, whether streaming, playing local files, using streaming services, etc...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Every single command, whether streaming, playing local files, using streaming services, etc...
Well, I don't have that problem, so it might be an issue with your network. My A6 is wired, but of course, the iPad is on WiFi.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
EverSolo released the public update with parametric and graphic equalizers, which I have installed and used. I’ll do an update regarding that, but I am quite pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks