What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bourbon Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I looked and couldn’t find a thread to bourbon or whiskey, I thought I’d start one. I’ve been a wine and mixed drink drinker for most of my life. Several years ago I discovered cognac. A year ago I started investigating bourbon. My latest find is Angel’s Envy.
upload_2019-12-7_20-59-3.jpeg

I’m not one of those guys who can say he tasted notes of leather, cedar, mixed with just a hint of chocolate and cat snot. Basically I can tell if I liked it and if there was any complexity in the flavor and whether it has a burn or tends to be smoother. BTW, I like my bourbon neat, water back so I can add a little water to the potion. I think water not only cuts some of the fire, but releases more flavor. But it’s just a little water, may a tenth of the original volume.

I first tasted Angel’s Envy straight and realized it would need very little water. This is a smooth spirit with complex flavors. This is a really good bourbon and I recommend it. $50 for the bottle. You can spend less and much more. This is a very good value.

BTW, the glass you see in the pic is no more. Shortly after finishing the bourbon, a kitten managed to knock it off the table.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My favorite Bourbon is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked- it’s a much better and smoother
drink than their Distiller’s Select, in my opinion.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve been doing the Pepsi Challenge with Bourbons recently. One I’d recommend is Boone County Small Batch- smooth finish.
I just tried Jack Daniels Single Barrel 130.5 proof. Finishes like fire. Too strong for my tastes- my limit is 101 proof (Knob Creek is decent stuff).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I looked and couldn’t find a thread to bourbon or whiskey, I thought I’d start one. I’ve been a wine and mixed drink drinker for most of my life. Several years ago I discovered cognac. A year ago I started investigating bourbon. My latest find is Angel’s Envy.
View attachment 65853

I’m not one of those guys who can say he tasted notes of leather, cedar, mixed with just a hint of chocolate and cat snot. Basically I can tell if I liked it and if there was any complexity in the flavor and whether it has a burn or tends to be smoother. BTW, I like my bourbon neat, water back so I can add a little water to the potion. I think water not only cuts some of the fire, but releases more flavor. But it’s just a little water, may a tenth of the original volume.

I first tasted Angel’s Envy straight and realized it would need very little water. This is a smooth spirit with complex flavors. This is a really good bourbon and I recommend it. $50 for the bottle. You can spend less and much more. This is a very good value.

BTW, the glass you see in the pic is no more. Shortly after finishing the bourbon, a kitten managed to knock it off the table.
Interesting- my local Kroger liquor store has Angel’s Envy. I might have to try a Pepsi Challenge with this vs. Double Oaked and Boone County.

Update- my favorite restaurant/bar in Maysville KY has Angel’s Envy. Just compared it to Boone County Small Batch shot for shot- Angel’s is a bit stronger, and the finish lingers longer. Thanks for the recommendation Johnny.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
my , that does look tasty, how is the burn and the kick?

neat, smooth and slow, and if I can accompany it with anything it's normally a Cohiba Dominican, in the back yard

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
my , that does look tasty, how is the burn and the kick?

neat, smooth and slow, and if I can accompany it with anything it's normally a Cohiba Dominican, in the back yard

If you’re asking about Angel’s Envy, it doesn’t really burn, but the finish lingers longer than other Bourbons.

My favorites are Boone County Small Batch, and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (the stronger kick of these two is Woodford).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Nice, I grew up just across the river in Ohio. So when me and my current wife went to visit her brother in New York he took us to a Distillery and they said that they wanted me to try their Kentucky bourbon, to which I replied to the guy Kentucky style, real bourbon only comes from Kentucky. I think the guy running the place wasn't real happy with that statement. It was good but it was at a winery and they aged it in wine barrels didn't have quite a bourbon taste to it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My store only had Auchentoshan 3 Wood. I bought it and really like it. Lately I’ve discovered I prefer scotch over bourbon.
I unfortunately can't say the same, work for a bartender for a while, and now, the smell of it and Jack Daniels just are not very appealing. My other weakness lately throwing on some family heritage, is real actual moonshine, B apple pie, peach cobbler.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I unfortunately can't say the same, work for a bartender for a while, and now, the smell of it and Jack Daniels just are not very appealing. My other weakness lately throwing on some family heritage, is real actual moonshine, B apple pie, peach cobbler.
Well, those are a completely different from scotch. I get why it and bourbon turn you off.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
no I love Bourbon, the dislike of Jack Daniels is, the result of a very bad weekend in my youth, that lead to a very, very bad experience, and Scotch it's the smell, way too much bad spilt and clean it up, bartending and a night in Villa, France, Christmas Eve, 1986, in a restaurant overlooking the harbor, where myself and three other people, were waiting on a phone to call home, polished off a half gallon bottle of Johnny Walker Black in under an hour, bad night, because after a while the bar was giving away holiday punch, god know what I drank then, horrible hangover, been over 30 years maybe time to try again with a quality single malt.

it's actual my drink of choice, occasionally a nice glass of wine, but the older I get, creeping towards …. 60, I find I defiantly, prefer quality over quantity, and in moderation.

have a couple of local small batch distilleries near the Great Dismal Swamp, that do a decent old school "White Lighting". Great for a Prohibition era party.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
1661C657-BC8A-4A79-A664-FB6B43A57971.jpeg

This is a good drink. Distilled in Bardstown KY. I put it right there with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked as my favorite medium grade Bourbons.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve had Knob Creek 101, and I thought that was pretty good. I just can’t mix sweet and liquor- I drank about 8 or 9 Michelobs, then had a shot of blackberry Brandy, and then hugged the toilet for the rest of the night (my last epic hangover).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks