What's new

Bourbon Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
King’s Country Distillery pleated bourbon - I like peat so at the recommendation of the store employee, I bought this, The peat if very noticeable and I love it. Not too harsh. After if got it home I noticed it was produced in Brooklyn. “NEW YORK CITY! Had I noticed that in the store I might have missed out on a fine bourbon. Recommended.. $68

Wilderness Trail 6 year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey - Bottled in bond - Quite smooth, loved it. $77

Ardbeg Uigeadail “The Ultimate Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky” A very good scotch. It’s been a month and I forget the peat profile, but I did record it as a favorite. Don’t have price, may have been a little less than the top two, not sure.

All prices are Little Rock AR which I think tend to run high. I drink my scotch and bourbon neat, water back.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m looking for a good bourbon for making cocktails — Old Fashioned and Manhattans. Jim Beam is fine and affordable but I’m not sure I’m especially enthused about it. I need to try Knob Creek and maybe Elijah Craig and see how they are.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was a good lecture on the history of bourbon, coming up to within the last few years. Probably available through your local library’s audiobooks. It gets into a bit of the recent consolidations and how “artisanal” bourbons are now increasingly products of corporate acquisitions, with a lot of the craftsmanship being cut away. Which isn’t saying bourbons aren’t good. But a lot of the mystique is of days gone by.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m looking for a good bourbon for making cocktails — Old Fashioned and Manhattans. Jim Beam is fine and affordable but I’m not sure I’m especially enthused about it. I need to try Knob Creek and maybe Elijah Craig and see how they are.
I don't make many cocktails so when I'm buying bourbon I not thinking of that. When I end up with one I don't like it goes in the cocktail side of my cabinet. Not sure what your budget would be for cocktails. Buffalo Trace, $25 is my notes I have as a good sipper. High West Campfire, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, a high proof and bit to harsh bourbon, $55. I have a & on that price.

If you have a vendor you trust, ask them. Even the simplest cocktail is diluting the bourbon other liquid and flavors. I don't like to spend a lot for a mixer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For straight drinking, I have Auchentoschen American Oak Whiskey 🥃.

I’m comfortable in the $40 price range ($25 to $55, for 750 ml to 1L bottles). I‘ve found it’s worth buying good liquor for cocktails — Bad booze makes for a worse cocktail. But I don’t want to spend big on higher end stuff that can’t be appreciated (by me) amidst the cocktail mIxture.

Buffalo Trace, I’ve seen, and wondered about. Sounds like it’s perfect for me to try next. And the Elijah Craig might also be a good fit for my tastes and uses.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have tried the Auchentoschen 3 Wood and liked it very much. I wish my wife would ask why it’s named 3-Wood. I would explain the barrels are all made from 3-woods that angry golfers have hurled into bog. It takes sa lot of time to get enough 3-woods that are properly seasoned by the bog. She doesn’t pay attention to golf or scotch. Maybe she’ll buy it? :D

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

A good mixer bourbon is Old Forester the standard 86 proof version:

old-forester 86.jpg

This is a very nice inexpensive bourbon, that is great to make drinks with, drink neat, and is often named as the premiere entry level bourbon for those looking to get into or try bourbon. I normally always have a bottle in my bar and have converted many Jack or Jim drinkers to Old Forester when they tried it. I think they are the oldest running bourbon makers in the country. This bottle will run you between 25 to 30 dollars. This is why many people list it as the best bang for your buck bourbon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m unfamiliar with it. Is it a branding cash-in, or is it like Coppola wines (an actual and serious vineyard for pretty good wines)?

You know, I’m not sure. I think the brand is called Heaven’s Door.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Do bourbons have to be made in KY or TN?

Koenig makes good wines but I've also liked their Plum Brandy, a local Slivovitz @ 84 proof.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve heard that thing about the only true Bourbon comes from Kentucky- I assumed Jack Daniels (distilled in Lynchburg TN)
is called sour mash whiskey on the label, not Bourbon for this reason.

there is a county in Kentucky named Bourbon- northeast of Lexington, not far from my house.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last night I tasted Glenlivet 14 yrs Cognac Cask. I can’t tell you I could identify what the cognac casks did but I can tell you I loved it. A wonderful drop. I paid $71 in Little Rock. Researched it online and it was selling for mid $50’s. That’s Arkansas for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WHixson
Recent bookmarks