What's new

Outsider (HBO) Season One (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
This is based on a book by Stephen King. It's the second after Mr. Mercedes. Jason Batemen stars and produces.

Anyone watching? It is fantastic, I did not however read the book.

I did watch the Mr. Mercedes series on the Audience Network and that was very good too.

One thing that carries over is the character of Holly Gibney. Played by different actresses which is a little weird after being with the first one for three seasons.

Both play the character well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This show has very carefully walked the line of a realistic and serious police procedural, so it will be interesting to see how all the characters react when it fully enters Stephen King monster gonzo territory. I noticed this week's episode the first one where Richard Price didn't write, and also the first real manifestation of ... it. So maybe 'Mr. Hyde' takes over writer duties from here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has anyone read the book?

I’m a King fan and I loved how the book started but felt so let down by the time it ended. And it looks like the show has great talent in front of and behind the camera, but I’m concerned that it’s not worth it for me due to my story concerns.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I’m a King fan and I loved how the book started but felt so let down by the time it ended.

You could say that about almost every King book! I kid...but not really :)

Against my better judgment, I'm considering reading the book in advance of watching the show. Is it possible to describe what you didn't like about the ending (without spoilers, of course). Just as a baseline, if you're familiar with Under the Dome, I found the ending to be so unbelievably bad that if I would have been reading a physical copy I would have thrown it across the room (I was reading a digital copy)! If the ending is on the same level as Under the Dome then I'll skip it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s less about the ending and more the path the book starts down by the halfway mark. I’ve read that the show plows through the first part of the book very fast, so maybe it’s already there. Actually, if Holly Gibney has been mentioned, we’re into that territory, but I’ll use spoiler tags out of an abundance of caution - but I’m not describing the ending in them.

I felt let down that King started off the novel as a straightforward detective story, camouflaging that it was actually another book in the Mr. Mercedes series. I really enjoyed the first two books in that series and liked that King was telling a non-supernatural horror story where the real horror comes from the idea that some people do terrible things, and that man’s inhumanity is more grotesque than anything supernatural from King’s imagination. But then the third book in that series veers heavily into the supernatural. And so does The Outsider. I don’t dislike supernatural stories but I was more interested in the story I thought this book would be than the one it actually was.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am absolutely loving this show. I haven't seen this past Sunday's episode, but have found the mix of realism and supernatural to be expertly woven. Performances are terrific and the mood, but goodness, this show tonally, manages to saturate my entire house when I am watching it - that's how rich and sure it is. Great show so far.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I like that the whole narrative thrust or tension of this limited series is not waiting for they mystery to be resolved, but waiting for Ralph... to finally get it. For the strictly rational to accept the irrational. For Sculley to become Mulder. That will provide such relief.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Really loving this series. The tension level in the car with Jack & Holly was unbelievable. And that final scene, wow!

I like the idea of Ralph having to accept the irrational. Nice interpretation. Particularly liked the scene where Ralph's buddy in the other investigative group explains the difference between the two of them. I tend to gauge shows on their consistency as well as their qualitative level and this show is checking all the boxes. The best thing I'm watching right now (at least until Better Call Saul returns. :) )

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
First season?! Are you kidding? I thought this was a one and done based on the book. No wonder it was such a slow burn and it took 9 episodes for Ralph to even consider something supernatural is going on. Okay, it's my fault for not even paying attention to the name of this thread but... first season?! Give me a break.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ha, when I made the thread, I too thought there would only be one season. But I called it season one anyway.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Based on a little googling, it appears that there could be another season, but season 1 will complete the book. Do I have that right? I don’t think this amounts to a spoiler.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So as someone who has yet to jump into it and is slightly hesitant to do so - is this a limited series (one and done) or is there a second season coming? And did these episodes that just finished airing cover the entirety of the book?

I didn’t particularly like the book but I love the cast and I’d watch it if it was a one season commitment. I’m not necessarily up for years of it, though.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So as someone who has yet to jump into it and is slightly hesitant to do so - is this a limited series (one and done) or is there a second season coming? And did these episodes that just finished airing cover the entirety of the book?

I didn’t particularly like the book but I love the cast and I’d watch it if it was a one season commitment. I’m not necessarily up for years of it, though.
This series contains much of what I usually don’t like. Quiet, understated dialogue with pauses aplenty. It also is a bit too somber for what I usually like. However, I’m liking it a lot. I’m interested in the characters and all of the actors who have more than a few lines are spot on. Further, I’ve not noticed any minor actor who doesn’t get the job done. I recommend this show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The problem is, having read and not liked the book’s plot, I have little interest in the story being told. So while I’d check it out if it’s just ten episodes, I don’t want to start it and then find out it’s only a portion of the book and that the story I didn’t like will take years to complete.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

I have not read the book so I have no idea if the series covers the entirety of it or not. The series does wrap up and feels like it is complete; although there are a few small details in the final episode that leave the door open for a continuation should the powers that be decide to pursue another season. I don't think that will happen.

Anyway, very happy I watched this series. Really strong in terms of its acting, characterizations, and the overall mood the series sets for the viewer. Definitely recommended.

- Walter.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Much as I liked the book and series, I couldn't help thinking that it was a thinly disguised version of Dracula.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks