What's new

Nero Wolfe TV series on Blu ray?? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A favorite series I always tuned into watch was the A&E procuction of Nero Wolf. I always wondered why the Complete series box sets are still MIA? For as popular as they were, it seems the upgrade is lomg overdue!!
Related
Original release
Production
Nero Wolfe

Title illustration and design by
Aurore Giscard d'Estaing
Also known asA Nero Wolfe Mystery
The Nero Wolfe Mysteries
GenrePeriod drama
Written by
Directed by
Starring
ComposerMichael Small
Country of originUnited States
Original languageEnglish
No. of seasons2
No. of episodes20 (list of episodes)
Executive producers
Producers
  • Susan Murdoch
  • Randi Richmond
Production locationsToronto, Ontario, Canada
Cinematography
  • Derek Rogers
  • John Berrie
Editors
Camera setupSingle-camera
Production companiesJaffe/Braunstein
Films Ltd. and
A&E Networks
in association with Pearson Television International
NetworkA&E
ReleaseApril 22, 2001 –
August 18, 2002
The Golden Spiders:
A Nero Wolfe Mystery
(2000)
Nero Wolfe is a television series adapted from Rex Stout's series of detective stories that aired for two seasons (2001–2002) on A&E. Set in New York City sometime in the 1940s–1950s, the stylized period drama stars Maury Chaykin as Nero Wolfe and Timothy Hutton as Archie Goodwin. A distinguishing feature of the series is its use of a repertory cast to play non-recurring roles. Nero Wolfe was one of the Top 10 Basic Cable Dramas for 2002.

The series won praise for its high production values and jazzy score by Michael Small, and for preserving the language and spirit of the original stories. Most of the teleplays were written by consulting producer Sharon Elizabeth Doyle and the team of William Rabkin and Lee Goldberg, whose "Prisoner's Base" was nominated for an Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America.

A total of 20 episodes were produced over the two-season run. Eight of Stout's novels were adapted into two-hour broadcasts, while 12 of his short stories were filmed as one-hour episodes.

Nero Wolfe was produced for A&E by Jaffe/Braunstein Films, one of the first production companies to use high-definition video for television. Although the second season was shot in HD, none of the several home video releases of the series has been issued in HD, and only one of the 20 episodes ("The Silent Speaker") has been issued in 16:9 widescreen format.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I have complained about the fact that the series has not been released in wide screen (it was in Europe) and the extended versions have shown in Europe are also not available.

Here is one of the extended cuts with wonderful byplay not shown on US TV or in the A&E release.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thank you Mystro....at least I'm not screaming to an empty room. This series is in dire need for a restoration and BD upgrade...of all the incarnations of the series this one with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin is the finest of the group.
I have both seasons but they're in dvd, better than nothing but someone somewhere should goive back the breath of life to this series.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Agree that Chaykin and Hutton are the best. The show had a lot of class with good supporting characters and high production values. I am not optimistic about a blu ray release, I recall Frank Tarzi saying that television shows didn't sell well. Will be interesting to see how Columbo does though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks