What's new
World Wide Stereo

4 vs 6 Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

George LL

Auditioning
Real Name
George Lerma
I’m deliberating between installing 4 or 6 Atmos speakers in my dedicated 13x18 theater room. The bigger picture here is, this decision will also help me decide whether to purchase a Denon 6700 (13 channels) or the $800 cheaper 4700 (11 channels). Does anyone know if there’s an appreciable benefit to having the extra Atmos speakers? Is the 6700 worth the extra coin?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As a quick answer, in a room that size, I would generally say that 4 Atmos speakers is plenty. Just not enough room to benefit from 6. Are you using in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers for Atmos? that's the best way to go.

George LL

Auditioning
Real Name
George Lerma
As a quick answer, in a room that size, I would generally say that 4 Atmos speakers is plenty. Just not enough room to benefit from 6. Are you using in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers for Atmos? that's the best way to go.
Yes. I’m installing the Atmos speakers in the ceiling. That’s another reason I’m doin my best to make a solid choice... once I cut those holes... I don’t have the skill to patch them up If I decide to go with 4 Atmos.

Also, the price disparity between the 4700 and 6700 is quite a lot at $800. I’ll spend it if it makes a big enough difference but saving money is alw good

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keep in mind that, if I recall correctly, you need an additional amplifier to get those receivers to that many channels. Again, as I recall, the 4700 will process 11 channels, but only drives 9 and the 6700 processes 13, but only drives 11.

George LL

Auditioning
Real Name
George Lerma
That’s part of the reason I was looking at the 6700. My setup is 7.1.4 or 7.1.6 depending on which way I go. The 6700 would power up to 4 Atmos speakers. The more I think about it, the more I think the 6700 is overkill for my purposes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just come across a lot of people who seem afraid to use an external amp, and the 4700 requires one to run a 7.x.4 system, where the 6700 doesn't. So I just figured I'd point that out. Something like an Emotiva A-300 is a good option to drive the L&R speakers and get the 4700 to 11 channels. At $400 it's only half the price difference between the receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks