What's new

> 45" 4:3 1080p LCD Display TV: Will it Hit Most Global Markets? (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
how displays could be modular built in days to come for the ease of replacement on repair...

notice that the modules seems to be in 4:3​

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
This assures maximize clarity for every aspect ratio presented on the screen. Black areas are simply...not there!
From your explanation, I don't see how it makes black bars virtually, much less completely, vanish from view, though no expert on this.

But I did very seriously consider pursuing a projector solution long ago: Merely, choose a model accepting interchangeable and good quality 1.85:1 and 4:3 lenses to swap out when viewing the most compatible content. But placement and hook up of associated hardware, seating and acoustical consideration and room size precluded implementing this otherwise very elegant solution.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
to be able to supply to the tablet manufacturing, i assume 2 sizes will be mass produced. 10" and 12" models. to yank out the 32inch CRT tube that wouldn't light up anymore, 9 pieces of 10inch panels will have to be bought and modularly joined up in 3x3 formation to form well... 30inch display for replacement?
Well, at least a ~ 42" 4:3 display would be my preference. Yes, lots of discussion about this solution at AVS and other forums years ago. We had hoped then that leading OLED panel maker LG and others would somehow partner to offer such user configurable panels. Conceivably, one could thereby build there own display, assuming that mounting surfaces, drive and image processing electronics and all parameters impacting picture quality could be resolved. Nice to see that the idea is still around. Maybe this time it will become a marketable display option even use by less tech minded consumers.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
From your explanation, I don't see how it makes black bars virtually, much less completely, vanish from view, though no expert on this.

But I did very seriously consider pursuing a projector solution long ago: Merely, choose a model accepting interchangeable and good quality 1.85:1 and 4:3 lenses to swap out when viewing the most compatible content. But placement and hook up of associated hardware, seating and acoustical consideration and room size precluded implementing this otherwise very elegant solution.
Sorry projection won't work in your situation.
For clarity of my discussion, vertical resolution is always constant at 2160px for 4K content as well as 2K or DVD upscaled content). All aspect ratios fill the screen top to bottom. Scope films are 5,120px wide, while 16x9 material uses 3840px of width and 4x3 imagery uses proportionally less. Every aspect ratio (including all those in-between) utilizes all 2160 vertical pixels, so there is never any reduced height and resulting horizontal black bars. The maximum screen height is alway used and never occupied by black bars...Except for material like Ben Hur...which slightly exceeds the 2.35 scope chip. In those extreme cases, the projector automatically reduces the hight slightly to allow for the extra width to be seen. This exception does create very small black bars.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The only reason I participated in this thread initially, was because I’m a bit of an aspect ratio junkie, in that I love a variety of ratios in my entertainment. This particular product would not serve me particularly well but I wouldn’t poo-poo it for everybody. I only watch movies in projection with my constant height 2.35:1 screen and side curtains so that each presentation is a custom ratio. However as for watching TV shows, I do that on a 16X9 flat panel which is the best compromise between all the various ratios. I also watch a lot of shows on my 4X3 iPad which is also ideal for vintage television. The computer monitor on my desk however is 21:9 and that is also great for streaming various TV shows in all different aspect ratios. Anyway, that’s all I have to say and I too bow out…

YANG

Screenwriter
i guess our hearts strike a chord together... 😁
my setup is now 2 displays facing opposite one another. a 50“ that serves as a daily driver not only for public broadcast but also as dedicated YouTube TV. the 50“TV was supposedly to be used as dedicated display for 1.85:1 materials, but due to the system issues, whenever another device is connected, the TV will lost its broadcast tuning functions. so now majority of the disc media play jobs will be dependent on the 75“ TV opposite the 50“. 2 players connected to the display, one set to output @ 4:3 letterbox while another, dedicated for 2.35:1 or wider aspect ratios in 16X9. such setup yields 1.85:1 picture height very close to 2.35:1 picture height in 16X9. it gives me also a clear idea what size should i consider for the next upgrade... 55inch! when the daily driver goes kaput...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BINGO??? Okay, it's not an OLED or even a 4K screen. But will a > 45" 1080p 4:3 display with HDMI input soon be available in a market near you?

But if you're fed up with having to crop and lose content from your 1:33: 1 movies and TV shows just to view them on your 16:9 display without vertical bars-or love your faithful CRT but not its puny 32" screen-this 4:3 display may be the best possible compromise.

https://www.lcdhome.live/product/digital-signage-45inch-square-screen-43-display-android-monitor/

But will it ever get an Rtings.com review?

What's the price?

And will it be available from a reputable source?

These are digital sign displays meant for inside (brightly lit) retail stores and exterior or exterior facing signage. These are going to prioritize brightness over every other image quality, particularly black levels. They will be bulky with industrial housings. Almost assured these would be terrible for home use, if you could even purchase one, as they're certainly sold business-to-business. They'll have terrible black and contrast levels. And their motion-video performance will also be inferior, prioritizing for bright static images.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
A
Agreed. In 2021, I backed up over 1000 blu-ray discs in my collection, some dating back to the 2006 format launch, and less than 5 had fallen victim to rot. (Manhattan, which someone else mentioned above, was one of the titles.)

It's much more likely that the discs are scratched or were stored improperly.

These are digital sign displays meant for inside (brightly lit) retail stores and exterior or exterior facing signage. These are going to prioritize brightness over every other image quality, particularly black levels. They will be bulky with industrial housings. Almost assured these would be terrible for home use, if you could even purchase one, as they're certainly sold business-to-business. They'll have terrible black and contrast levels. And their motion-video performance will also be inferior, prioritizing for bright static images.
The display does weigh 106 lbs, though likely no more than my 32" CRT. AVLink said they don't as yet have a North American distributor, so I certainly wouldn't be consider buying one at least until then; and I've yet to get the price for one.

But according to the specs and other details on this page https://www.lcdhome.live/product/digital-signage-45inch-square-screen-43-display-android-monitor/ , the 45" monitor can be ordered with optional brightness levels; 300nits to 500nits, or 700nits. Contrast ratio 4:000: 1. Max resolution 2880*2160; response time 5ms. Assuming all of this is s true how bad could black levels be when viewing DVDs and 1080p BDs, and in a somewhat dimly lit room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks