What's new

7.1 rear speaker placement help needed.. (1 Viewer)

midlifez

Auditioning
Real Name
kenny
Looked through prior threads and google but did not find an answer, at least not one I am comfortable with enough to start running speaker cable, etc. Awaiting delivery on a new 7.1 receiver and thus need to add two new speakers. Would like to get them wired and mounted prior to it arriving.

Our home theater is a bit odd in shape and placement of stuff. I drew a floor plan (not to scale) which I have inserted below.

The room is 17 ft (from the back wall to the projection screen) x 14 ft (width of the wall the screen is on).

Due to the limited distance to the screen from the back wall we have the couch placed about 6 inches from the back wall.

In the drawing I have put circles, colored in blue, which represent the current speakers. The screen is colored in red, the sub is green and the couch is grey. I cannot move the existing speakers as they are in wall (I know, I know, this was a concession to meet the WAF).

From looking at other sites they recommend the other two speakers (Mirage Nanosat's) it would seem that putting them where the grey X's are would be best. They will be mounted on the ceiling, again, constraint of the design of the room.

Agree? Disagree? Suggestions?

Listen to ZERO music, mostly DirecTV, Blu-Ray and HD DVD's and XBox games.

Also, originally set up as 6.1 and thus there is a rear center channel (not shown in the image below). Should I leave it disconnected or ???
Thanks!

NOTE.. the current rear L & R speakers are pretty close to aligning with the middle of the arm rest on the couch even though my pathetic drawing does not look that way. They are mounted about 6 ft off the floor. I would be mounting the 2 new speakers about the same height due to room limitations. The 2 new speakers would be about 1.5 feet closer to the screen than the existing rear speakers.

HTFloorPlan2.jpg

midlifez

Auditioning
Real Name
kenny

OK,measured and it is more like 18" away from the back wall. Did some measuring and it SEEMS (feedback appreciated) that if I move it forward another 12" (total of around 30" or so from the back wall) the rear speakers will be in much better placement and also simplify placement of the new ones. Thoughts?

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray
Please excuse my ignorance. Can you move the couch forward say 3 feet, then use the existing surround speakers as your back speakers (Just wire them up to the receiver that way), then place the new speakers as your surround at ear level next to your couch...

Looking at the date on this thread you probably already made your decision.

GL,
Ray

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

IMO, even 3 feet is not enough. Mine are about 7-8 feet behind me. I don't believe I would want them any closer. I'm also about 7-8 feet from the mains.

midlifez

Auditioning
Real Name
kenny

That is basically what I did except I decided to stay with the 6.1 setup (in wall speakers) I already had installed. Only other change was added the DynaMat EnWall system. Am VERY pleased with how it not only cut down on sound transmission to wall shared with another room but seemed to tighten the bass up as well. All in all a great product IMHO... to top it off got a great deal on 10 boxes on ebay and was able to sell the 4 I did not use for what I paid for all 10! end result is they were free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks