What's new
World Wide Stereo

7.2.4 Speaker placement in great room (1 Viewer)

Raghu K

Auditioning
Real Name
Raghu
Hi Everyone..

I m getting a new construction home and I m planning to get a 7.2.4 speaker pre-wire in the great room from the builder. My great room dimensions are 19 ft * 24 ft and it extends into the Kitchen after 24 ft.. I m planning to use the following speakers with Denon x6400 Receiver.

4 * Klipsch RP-280F Floor Standing (2 Front , 2 Rear)
2 * Klipsch RP-250S Sorround Speakers ( 2 Side )
1 * Klipsch RP-450CA Center Speaker = 1 * 850 = 850
2 * Klipsch RP-115SW SubWoofer = 2 * 720 = 1440
4 * Klipsch CDT-58000-C Ceiling Speakers = 4 * 400 = 1600

I have created a diagram of the speaker placement based on Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 diagram available online, I need insights on whether this placement is good or any changes needed. I think my main concern is Rear Speaker Distance. And the other concern is the Acoustics . Since this is the great room, I guess whole house could get very loud , I m not sure how that works as this is my first time designing a HT system..

Here is the placement diagram -

2018-08-05_21-45-11.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a few suggested modifications.

The first decision is Klipsch. Speakers are a personal choice, and if that's what you like, then that's what you like. The main benefit with Klipsch is you know they are extremely efficient, so a receiver won't have any problem driving them. They do tend to be bright, so I hope the room is carpeted, or they may be too much.

I'd go with the RP-250S for all four surrounds, rather than having the RP-280F in the back. They'll be mostly a waste for surrounds. Put your surround speakers at about seated ear level, since you'll have in-ceiling Atmos/DTS:X speakers.

DO in-ceiling height speakers, without a doubt. Don't let anyone change your mind to just height or reflecting ones. Go In-Ceiling! I think you might want to increase the angle of the in-ceiling speakers, as in, move the front ones a little further forward and the back a little more back to space everything more evenly.

I know everyone wants to go with dual subs these days, but it is my belief that a single, $1,500 sub will usually out perform two $750 ones. If it is well placed and set up, it will manage to disappear just fine. This is the one area where most of the people here will suggest you not get Klipsch, but a more dedicated Sub brand, like SVS, Power Sound or HSU. There are a lot to choose from, and consider what kind of bass you want. You'll see both sealed and ported subs, and they will tend to have a somewhat different impact. Sealed subs tend to be more "sneaky", as in they don't draw attention to themselves as much, where ported ones tend to be a little more obvious. Personally, I prefer the sneaky type. If you look at the sub offerings at Power Sound, there's a wide variety of options. I suggest you seriously consider the S3010 in the price range you're considering for sub(s). Go ahead and have wiring for dual subs, even if you go with one now.

Raghu K

Auditioning
Real Name
Raghu
Hi John, Thank you very much reply.

I have changed the diagram , that makes sense to have the ceiling speakers evenly distributed and also the RP-250S for all the surrounds.

As far as subwoofer, I ll take your suggestion and add two prewires for now. and mostly likely get the better sub..

I m planning for a tiled floor with an area rug at the sofa. so I m guessing there will be more resonance. I hope the area rug will absrob some of it.

One more question I have is whether to use 16 gauge or 14 gauge wiring? will there be any difference since , the wiring lengths would not exceed more than 50ft.

Thanks again!!
Raghu K

GreatRoomSurroundSetupDiagram.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’d just go all the way with 12ga OFC wire. There’s no negative to it. Be sure to use CL2, even if the installer says it’s not necessary. Use it anyway. I recently got a 250 ft roll from monoprice.com for $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks