What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Released in November of 1938, and starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien, the film co-stars one Humphrey Bogart, who receives billing just following The Dead End Kids.

Fortunes change rapidly.

I probably don't need to make note of this, but why guess or presume.

It's yet another home run for Warner Archive.

Gorgeous black and white cinematography by Sol Polito is perfectly reproduced.

The score is by Max Steiner.

For those unaware, Mr. Curtiz directed five films released in 1938. Most of you are probably more aware of a Robin Hood picture using that early Technicolor process.

One of the quintessential Warner gangster productions, that deserves to be in every serious library.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – You better believe it

Highly Recommended

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have the DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces from Warner Bros. and I am fine with it, it looks good to me, I don't own a blu ray player and have no desire or plans to invest in that format. If I invested in blu ray, I would be spending money on stuff I already have on DVD and I'm not going to do that. DVD produces a superb enough quality image which I am satisfied with.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Released in November of 1938, and starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien, the film co-stars one Humphrey Bogart, who receives billing just following The Dead End Kids.

Fortunes change rapidly.

I probably don't need to make note of this, but why guess or presume.

It's yet another home run for Warner Archive.

Gorgeous black and white cinematography by Sol Polito is perfectly reproduced.

The score is by Max Steiner.

For those unaware, Mr. Curtiz directed five films released in 1938. Most of you are probably more aware of a Robin Hood picture using that early Technicolor process.

One of the quintessential Warner gangster productions, that deserves to be in every serious library.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – You better believe it

Highly Recommended

RAH
Do you want source was used? The OCN?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Adventures of Robin Hood is one of the best gangster movies of all time. Since anything Curtiz did has to be worth seeing. I think I did view 'Angels' about 50 years ago so it's time to revisit.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
4K scan of the original nitrate camera negative. One of my favourite Cagney films.
GREAT - thank you! Amazingly a lot of the OCN's (nitrates) of WB's films survive - wonder on the MGM's? I thought Louis B. Mayer was the leader who was very keen on transferring their films to safety film - but then what happened to their nitrates?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Does the line, "Merry Christmas you filthy animal" appear in this film?
I'm pretty sure that line was just from fake footage made for Home Alone. I don't think it appears in any other film. It was a sort of homage to this film, as the label on the movie Kevin watches was called Angels with Filthy Souls.

The movie that Kevin watches on video tape is not a real movie, but footage specially created. It was called "Angels with Filthy Souls". Along with other similar era references in the movie, this is a play on Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I have the DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces from Warner Bros. and I am fine with it, it looks good to me, I don't own a blu ray player and have no desire or plans to invest in that format. If I invested in blu ray, I would be spending money on stuff I already have on DVD and I'm not going to do that. DVD produces a superb enough quality image which I am satisfied with.
I have some DVD (ripped to a Plex server) which look great- upsampled by the BD player and projected to 120" with the 5050UB. But most are far out-classed by their BD counterparts. You sound hostile to the BD format, and of course, there are movies on BD not released on DVD. cheers

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
GREAT - thank you! Amazingly a lot of the OCN's (nitrates) of WB's films survive - wonder on the MGM's? I thought Louis B. Mayer was the leader who was very keen on transferring their films to safety film - but then what happened to their nitrates?
Fire

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks