What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Some filmmakers and actors took awhile to become comfortable with new technologies. Or never used them at all.

When it came to sound, and it appeared by 1929 that it was going to hang on, the hold-outs began to join and assimilate their way into talkies.

It took Douglas Fairbanks until very late in 1929, Chaplin until 1936, and Garbo 1930 (shot in late 1929) with one of the most repeated lines in all of cinema.

"Give me a whiskey baby, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy."

That was 15 minutes into the film, which until then - even though she receives star billing above the title - was a Marie Dressler / Francis Marion film.

From her first American production for M-G-M in 1926, she appeared in ten silent films, and beginning with Anna Christie (twice), and then another fourteen films, ending with Two-Faced Woman in 1941.

For those counting, that's twenty-four films in fifteen years. The studio system in high gear.

Like many of the M-G-M nitrate productions, the OCN was lost to the Great Fire, which means that Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is derived from a fine grain, but it appears fine for the era. The film has an admirable gray scale, decent grain structure, and an overall appealing texture. No problems.

The audio is still early. The camera does no swooping or other major movements. But the film, based upon the play by Eugene O'Neill, still works, and once you get over the early sound attribute still entertains.

Produced entirely on the M-G-M lot, and without a huge budget, you'll probably note the painted backing in the first sequence, including a large coil of rope. Once the camera gets out Dressler's little home, the camera picks up depths nicely.

The German language version, shot on the same sets appears as an extra in HD, derived from a 35 fine grain - unrestored, but not something I'd spend budget upon. It's wonderful reference.

Image – 7.5

Audio – 8

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Very Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Eugene O’Neill won his second of four Pulitzer Prizes for Anna Christie in 1922*.

A Must Own BD on every front.

* Beyond the Horizon (1920), Strange Interlude (1928) and posthumously with Long Days Journey into Night (1957).

Last edited:

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Thank you very much, Mr. Harris. This sounds wonderful, which only confirms my decision to pre-order it blindly. I have just one question. In the original announcement from WAC, they mentioned that the German-language version would be in HD. You note that it's in SD. Did WAC make an error in their promo materials?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you very much, Mr. Harris. This sounds wonderful, which only confirms my decision to pre-order it blindly. I have just one question. In the original announcement from WAC, they mentioned that the German-language version would be in HD. You note that it's in SD. Did WAC make an error in their promo materials?
No. An error in my notes. Corrected. It's a new HD from an unrestored safety fine grain.

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I would even go so far to say, if you’re only planning to watch just one of the two versions of the film, go with the german, which today seems more resilient to the growing pains of early talkie technique; the director and performances seem more in tune with material, more naturalistic, and apparently allowed more latitude in broaching the play’s provocative elements. Marie Dressler only appears in the english version, a performance typically full of Dressler-isms which so endeared her to audiences then, tho in fact she’s seen to much better advantage in numerous other films before her untimely exit just a few years later. This film is Garbo’s show all the way … she’s fine in the english version, and just terrific in the german.

I remember being pretty disappointed by the german copy used on the old dvd, murky-looking with burned-in subtitles. The new hi-def scan is a good one, without the usual cleanup of specs and scratches, along with a few (minor) bits of missing footage … reminds me some of the older 35mm prints which would sometimes play at revival houses or museums … I actually have a fondness for that more organic/archival appearance (while not in any way denigrating the wonderful restoration work which we’ve now come to expect via blu-ray) tho oddly the english subtitles on my copy shift from left to center screen throughout the film, so that would be the one technical glitch I found a little distracting.

For those counting, that's twenty-four films in fifteen years. The studio system in high gear.

Garbo got off easy when you compare her to Crawford's output in the same time period. I believe she was at 50+ by 1941. Unimaginable how MGM could pump this films out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks