What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Candyman (2021) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nia DaCosta, who was given the director's megaphone for Candyman seems to be a flavor of the month, especially with The Marvels in production. The Marvels, expected in 2023 is one of only 17 MU films in production or post at the moment.

Based on the genuinely frightening short story by Clive Barker and the 1992 film, Jordan Peele's take on the subject, with nicely integrates the past film(s) with an updated tale, and nods nicely in various directions, may not be to everyone's taste.

I found it to be overall, unpleasant. But I'm still ruminating on several levels, some of which I'm unable to discuss here.

Let's just say that I'm far more a fan of the original.

Universal's 4k UHD version of the new film is a beauty, especially as the film was finished at that resolution. Everything about the imagery is beautifully rendered. There's one shot looking down at the city around the thirty minute mark that especially got my attention - it's the work of John Guleserian.

Audio is huge, and presented in Dolby Atmos.

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommend

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was an interesting sequel/reboot. Glad it didn't just remake the original.

Also thought it worked better when I saw it a second time.

IMO, a well above average horror movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The more I consider this film, and steering clear of all politics, it’s bringing to mind…

Pumpkinhead.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The more I consider this film, and steering clear of all politics, it’s bringing to mind…

Pumpkinhead.

Never saw that one, but I have a weird connection to it.

When my then-girlfriend and I went to her family reunion 10 years ago, we talked about movies with her cousin.

He yelled to his four year old son: "what's your favorite movie?"

The kid grinned and chirped back "'Pumpkinhead'!!!"

Letting your 4-year-old watch "R" rated horror: that's good parenting! :laugh:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I need to rewatch this. I really liked it first time around, but I also really enjoyed the original. While it is definitely Nia DaCosta's film, there's a definite Jordan Peele flavour to it. It's a gorgeous film.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Never saw that one, but I have a weird connection to it.

When my then-girlfriend and I went to her family reunion 10 years ago, we talked about movies with her cousin.

He yelled to his four year old son: "what's your favorite movie?"

The kid grinned and chirped back "'Pumpkinhead'!!!"

Letting your 4-year-old watch "R" rated horror: that's good parenting! :laugh:
As someone who went to the drive-in frequently with parents who believed "the kids will be asleep for the second feature", I can see how this happened. I was probably 5 when I was first exposed to Death Race 2000.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As someone who went to the drive-in frequently with parents who believed "the kids will be asleep for the second feature", I can see how this happened. I was probably 5 when I was first exposed to Death Race 2000.

My stepmother took my 4-year-old brother to see "Alien" in 1979 - and not as a double feature! Still no idea what she was thinking there! :D

But I think the "Pumpkinhead" thing wasn't "accidental exposure". The parents know the kid's watching "R" horror and encourage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks