What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Contagion -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Steven Soderbergh is an interesting filmmaker. His work runs the gamut from genre to genre, without missing a beat.

With Contagion, a 2011 sci-fi film about a world-wide epidemic, it reaches rather far in subject matter, creating a frightening concept.

It's been out as a Blu-ray, but WB has seen fit to release a new 4k UHD variant, which takes full advantage of a "film" shot on a Red One MX, finished to a 4k DI.

Since the film was shot on stock with minimal grain, and was successfully blown up to both 70mm and IMAX, you should have some idea as to precisely how good this 4k release might look...

And it does.

It's superb.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 9

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Contagion-UH...709530436&sprefix=contagion+4k,aps,101&sr=8-8

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
From what I understand Soderbergh went back to the original Redcode files and did a new 4k DI of it.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Thanks for the review- will be picking this up eventually then since it sounds like a significant improvement over the already nice bluray.... such a great time to be collecting movies- we are really spoiled.

On a side note, I wonder if we will ever see a Soderbergh boxset- I thought there was a rumor of one a couple of years ago and read he was remastering all his catalog.

I like all his films going back to 'Bubble' (except for 'Lucky Logan'- another film ruined by Daniel Craigs awful acting...in my opinion of course).

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
No doubt this is a great film but, having lived through it after I saw the film, I don’t know that I could watch this again. Happy that they did revisit this and improve it for the 4 K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks