What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I said there are two takes. You hear either depending on which take you watch. You are not mishearing.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The one I posted says Bobby. I hear Fosse in the other one. If you don't hear Bobby in mine I don't know what to say.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Well, I'll just repeat this:

"A double S and double B sound nothing alike in my opinion."

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
(...though I'm not sure why he would be calling him Fosse when his friends, Gwen included, always referred to him as "Bobby" but that's another story.)

Remember there was talk of a remake of Damn Yankees about a decade ago:

In this 2009 Playbill column by Michael Buckley, he writes, in the Various & Sundry section:

https://www.playbill.com/article/st...of-fringe-plus-lansbury-and-arcati-com-158728

Craig Zadan and Neil Meron are up to bat with a remake of "Damn Yankees", the 1958 movie version of the '56 Tony-winning musical, for New Line. The plan's for "a contemporary feel on a musical that is firmly rooted in the 1950s." Casting, so far: Jim Carrey (as Mr. Applegate) and Jake Gyllenhaal (Joe Hardy). For the manager, why not Joe Torre?

Gwen Verdon reprised her Tony-winning Lola in the film. In a 1999 interview, Verdon told me that she was nervous about doing the picture: "George Abbott wasn't really a movie director. They brought in [co-director] Stanley Donen, who really directed it."

In their only screen pairing, Verdon and husband Bob Fosse dance the comic mambo, "Who's Got the Pain?" At the end of the number, Tab Hunter (Joe Hardy) says, "That was terrific, Fosse!" Verdon explained, "That was an ad-lib that they kept in."

Producers thought that her Broadway partner in the number asked for too much money to do the movie. "Bob's fee," she said, "was a hairpiece, made by the 'Wigmaker to the Stars.'"

It's definitely Bobby.

Gwen says differently.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
In their only screen pairing, Verdon and husband Bob Fosse dance the comic mambo, "Who's Got the Pain?" At the end of the number, Tab Hunter (Joe Hardy) says, "That was terrific, Fosse!" Verdon explained, "That was an ad-lib that they kept in."

Again, we can debate this till the cows come home, but let me just say that had the interviewer said "Hey, remember when Bob comes off the stage and Tab says, "That was terrific, Bobby?" Her response would most likely have been exactly the same. The story doesn't make it seem as though Gwen offered the line TO the interviewer. I seriously doubt that Gwen Verdon obsessively watched the movie through the years and analyzed it like we're doing now, anyhow.

The DVD with the subtitled line had already been out for four years in 2009. The interviewer may very well have been using that as the basis for the question.

In the end, if you choose to hear "Fosse," hear "Fosse." If I choose to hear "Bobby" then I'm going to hear "Bobby." It's as plain as day to my ear but I don't see the point in arguing for a definitive answer any more.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There are two different takes I tell you. It is clearly Bobby in one and Fosse in the other. Why am I the only one who distinctly hears this? You guys are making me question my sanity.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Actually she doesn't say differently. She acknowledges they left in the ad-lib. The rest of that sentence is someone else saying stuff.

Your post is you saying stuff. Who are you?

So far I've posted two sources. Whether you believe it or not at least I have a source for it. An interviewer who brings it up to her, and if he brought it up to her by saying that Tab says, "Terrific job, Fosse" and she replies that they left that ad lib in, that's a pretty good source. She doesn't say she doesn't remember it. She doesn't say he's wrong.

So if you want to question her memory or the interviewer, so be it. If you want to disagree with what's said, post your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks