What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Flying Leathernecks -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I could probably end these few words right here by telling you that Warner Archive's Flying Leathernecks, a 1951 RKO production, is perfect in every respect.

But I won't do that. If for no other reason than I find that boring.

So let's talk about oddities.

The film opens with an RKO logo.

In black & white.

I have no idea why, but apparently that's the way it's always been.

The political history of the film is of interest.

It's Nick Ray's first color film, and apparently he wasn't particularly interested in the project. Robert Ryan and Ray were set against Wayne and others, who were at the opposite end of the political spectrum, especially in the time of the blacklist.

Produced by Howard Hughes.

Getting down to the look of the new Blu-ray - it merely seems to mimic the appearance of a sparkling, new 35mm dye transfer print.

If one likes that sort of thing, you'll probably feel that this is a great disc.

I like it, for no other reason that it's far lighter than a 35mm print on reels.

Score one more for Warner Archive.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could probably end these few words right here by telling you that Warner Archive's Flying Leathernecks, a 1951 RKO production, is perfect in every respect.

But I won't do that. If for no other reason than I find it boring.

So let's talk about oddities.

The film opens with an RKO logo.

In black & white.

I have no idea why, but apparently that's the way it's always been.

The political history of the film is of interest.

It's Nick Ray's first color film, and apparently he wasn't particularly interested in the project. Robert Ryan and Ray were set against Wayne and others, who were at the opposite end of the political spectrum, especially in the time of the blacklist.

Produced by Howard Hughes.

Getting down to the look of the new Blu-ray - it merely seems to mimic the appearance of a sparkling, new 35mm dye transfer print.

If one likes that sort of thing, you'll probably feel that this is a great disc.

I like it, for no other reason that it's far lighter than a 35mm print on reels.

Score one more for Warner Archive.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended.

RAH
Whatever, I love this movie from the first time I watched it when I was about ten years old. I've watched it on HBO Max and this latest transfer brought tears to my eyes because I never saw this Technicolor movie look so good. I'll be buying this BD on release date.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I should make the point that I do Not find the film boring.

I was referring to the constant perfection of Warner Archive.

The color in this release will be beyond wildest expectations.
I got your point. It's boring to keep repeating how wonderful these releases from WA are...we should just take them for granted.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I can't wait for my pre-order to come as this is one of my favorite WW2 films. Usually don't do too much pre-ordering when it comes to WAC titles but I did this time for this and Kentucky Kernels. Now, I can't wait until we get some information about Tex Avery Vol 2, I believe in the recent WAC podcast they mentioned they hope to get it out before the end of 2020.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I do love a John Wayne war film. The general consensus seems to be that he became more & more patriotic as his conscience pricked him about not joining up for WW2 (I think he did a lot more good for America by staying at home & making movies), like he was fighting that conflict in every war film he made (plus the Hollywood commie hunting stuff). Anyway, I'm a big fan & think that he was basically a decent guy (we all have feet of clay) & I do love nearly all of his films, & I do love war movies, & great looking 3-strip Technicolor films, so this will be joining the collection.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I do love a John Wayne war film. The general consensus seems to be that he became more & more patriotic as his conscience pricked him about not joining up for WW2 (I think he did a lot more good for America by staying at home & making movies), like he was fighting that conflict in every war film he made (plus the Hollywood commie hunting stuff). Anyway, I'm a big fan & think that he was basically a decent guy (we all have feet of clay) & I do love nearly all of his films, & I do love war movies, & great looking 3-strip Technicolor films, so this will be joining the collection.
I may have told this before but it bears repeating: In his Playboy interview Henry Fonda said that what really annoyed him about John Wayne and Ward Bond supporting the blacklist etc. was that they have never previously shown any major interest in politics. He went on to say that after that, he never spoke to Ward Bond again. The interviewer asked if he ever spoke to John Wayne again. Fonda replied : "Yeah, I did. He's a pretty nice guy, you know."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not nearly as boring as those posters who greet every new Warner Archive release with a complaint that their own favorite film is not yet on Blu-ray disc!
Such a disparaging remark isn't necessary, please, stop it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I should make the point that I do Not find the film boring.

I was referring to the constant perfection of Warner Archive.

The color in this release will be beyond wildest expectations.
Got it, my apologies for misunderstanding your comments.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, reading that great bio of John Ford, Searching For John Ford by Joseph McBride, it came out that Ward Bond was a real terrier when it came to hunting the commies (but I still love watching him in movies...& Wagon Train).

I haven't seen this film in decades, & hardly remember anything about it. In fact I only remember Jay C. Flippen stealing the cake for the men (& Jay C. Flippen in the cast is a plus for any film).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched this on HBO Max last night and I agree the new master looks fantastic. I prefer western Wayne to war Wayne and I’m not the biggest fan of Nicholas Ray (the pacing on Ray’s films often feels off to me), but despite my own biases on those fronts, it was a very entertaining feature. I don’t think Robert Ryan is as celebrated today as he probably should be; I always come away from one of his films very impressed.

Anyone preordering the WAC disc version will not be disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched this on HBO Max last night and I agree the new master looks fantastic. I prefer western Wayne to war Wayne and I’m not the biggest fan of Nicholas Ray (the pacing on Ray’s films often feels off to me), but despite my own biases on those fronts, it was a very entertaining feature. I don’t think Robert Ryan is as celebrated today as he probably should be; I always come away from one of his films very impressed.

Anyone preordering the WAC disc version will not be disappointed.
Robert Ryan is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood's cinematic history.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Ryan is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood's cinematic history.

I think I first saw him in Inferno - went into that film with no idea what to expect (was playing at a 3D festival some years ago) and he was just mesmerizing in it. Ever since then, I take note when I see his name in the credits of something I’m considering watching.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree completely about Robert Ryan. He was one of those ubiquitous actors that raised the quality of whatever production he was in simply by being a member of the cast.

BTW, someone might want to correct the typo in the title of this thread: "Leathenecks" to "Leathernecks." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks