What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They're intentionally dumbing down the BD to make the UHD more attractive.

Disney has already been doing this for the last several years with DVD (hitting new lows with Guardians Vol. 2 and the new Lion King DVDs not even having a single extra), so that behavior is not surprising at all, although of course, disappointing. But it certainly is consistent with their previous methods for encouraging new format adoption.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup. Guess Disney's gonna be one of those studios. Paramount and Universal have been pretty good about giving us Atmos on both formats but the other studios have started holding Atmos for UHD as a premium format, ignoring that BD is perfectly capable of handling Atmos. They're intentionally dumbing down the BD to make the UHD more attractive.
Yep which is one of the reasons why I made the jump to 4K/UHD back in January.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've got the blu-ray, which is DTS-HD 7.1 not Atmos. Is Atmos exclusive to UHD?
Yup. And there is a distinct difference between the two imo with the Atmos track more precise in sound placement.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
:(
That's annoying. Blu-ray supports Atmos. Why would they leave it out?

Studios that had previously been releasing Atmos tracks on BDs often ceased doing so when the UHD format debuted. They are apparently trying to devalue the BD and push people into buying the more expensive UHD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's annoying.

These strange emotions I'm experiencing ... they must be what 3D fans feel. ;)
This problem is not as extreme as for the fans of 3D. You've got a hardware option to get atmos back by buying a 4K TV. 3D fans have no option when their current 3D TV bites the dust.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This problem is not as extreme as for the fans of 3D. You've got a hardware option to get atmos back by buying a 4K TV. 3D fans have no option when their current 3D TV bites the dust.

Debatable whether there will be no choices since new projectors still seem to contain 3D hardware and as long as 3D disc are still being made for international buyers.

Will projectors still keep that option in the future? I don't know how much cost/technology it add, but I'm guessing that's easier for projectors than a flat screen/OLED

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Debatable whether there will be no choices since new projectors still seem to contain 3D hardware and as long as 3D disc are still being made for international buyers.

Will projectors still keep that option in the future? I don't know how much cost/technology it add, but I'm guessing that's easier for projectors than a flat screen/OLED
Just because some 3-D equipment is available doesn't make it a viable option. For many people, especially those that rent, have smaller homes they live or due to non-spousal support the projector option is not a choice for them.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe not a good choice and certainly not an option for everyone (like any option), but as long as it's available for some subset it's at least something. A choice is always preferable to dead -- SACD is in better shape than laserdisc

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe not a good choice and certainly not an option for everyone (like any option), but as long as it's available for some subset it's at least something. A choice is always preferable to dead -- SACD is in better shape than laserdisc
We can agree it's a limited option depending on your actual living arrangement circumstances.:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
WAF is a phrase with which I am all-too-familiar myself! :laugh:

NSS gives a bit of a different spin on the concept! Plus, it sounds like it could come out of the mouth of a lawyer.

"Your honor, clearly my client cannot be found guilty of setting up his Atmos sound system. His wife never signed any documents indicating non-spousal support." :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Admittedly, I'm hoisted by my own petard. I'm invested in an HTPC and so to blu-ray. If it were just a simple player swap, I could put in a 4K player for atmos and keep watching in down-res'd HD (I assume).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm hoisted by my own petard.

TbfRgo.gif

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought this thread would be worth bumping to show off this link. Spoilers involved if you still haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but if you haven't, I doubt you'd be reading to the seventh page of a thread about it, so I'm not going to bother putting it in a spoiler tag.

As a result of its appearance at the end of the film, James Gunn got a Zune and asked cast members to sign it and is auctioning it off for charity. Current bid is $3,400 as of this writing, which is way too rich for my blood, but it will make a lot of difference to the organization, and it's a cool thing to gawk at and wish you could own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-Zune-MP3-player-signed-by-James-Gunn-amp-Cast-/172886993569?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks