What's new

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I see you just do not have all the info that they, the sound designers can make a active mix with the audio stems eg; movies that was mixed in dts mix, 2012 movie English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 , Top Gun. English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 are now in Active Dolby Atmos and there plenty more to select from. I did not say the sound track was bad, but dont call it dolby atmos when all they did was use height speakers to expand the sound stage.

I don't agree with this at all.

All an Atmos track needs to properly be called Atmos is a single bed channel or a single dynamic object. If a track engages my height speakers at all then it's an Atmos track. If it has an interesting blend of bed channels and non-gimmicky dynamic objects then it's potentially a great Atmos track. If it merely has a basic bed channel then it's simply a basic Atmos track (but it still might be effective at creating an expanded soundscape). If the engineers only use the height speakers to play what amounts to a "doubled up" background music bed channel then it's a lazy Atmos track.

Frankly--and no disrespect to Top Gun or its creators--Top Gun had a fairly obvious task before it: put the planes in the heights, make them pan, and make them loud. I'm not saying it was easy to go back into the original track and draw out a so-called "active" Atmos mix. But I don't think it was some sort of logic knot requiring months of careful audio engineering to untie (but maybe I'm wrong).

That all said, I totally enjoy a really solid Atmos track. I even have a bit of a guilt pleasure for a gimmicky object dynamic object now-and-then.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Hi all, Now I love all the Indiana Jones 4k Movie Collection but there is one problem I have with the audio been called Dolby Atmos, the sound is a static track on this 4k Movie Collection. It's not a true Dolby Atmos active track here is what I mean in this video here is the link

Why listen to a track and enjoy a movie when you can watch a YouTube video about it and complain about it on the internet?

And please, exactly how many channels do you have in your home theater that this distinction could possibly be THAT important?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Actually heard an interesting promotion on the local easy listening station here in Houston (Sunny 99.1) earlier today. They played various sound clips from the films and announced the 4k release of the films. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard of a promotion on the radio for physical visual media.

Theoone

Auditioning
Real Name
Theodoros Mademtzidis
Why listen to a track and enjoy a movie when you can watch a YouTube video about it and complain about it on the internet?

And please, exactly how many channels do you have in your home theater that this distinction could possibly be THAT important?
I just like a great surround sound mix other wise why do a dolby atmos mixing in the first place. That's just my opinion and you are all welcome to your own..

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
What is an easy listening station.
Is that like snooze Jazz?
Elevator Music?
I guess nowadays they refer to it as “adult contemporary.” It’s soft rock and 80s/90s pop type upbeat music. In my defense we were shopping for my wife and I overheard it while we were in a store. When I was a kid the station definitely was the stuff you heard in a dentist office. Think Wayne’s World when Garth is sitting in the dentist chair hearing Kenny G. They’ve progressed from that a little bit.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Financial compensation better mean we still get an old timey Paramount logo at the start of Indiana Jones 5.
Sound good but please don’t tell me it has the same Paramount &$ asking if you want “English” followed by Interpol warnings that go one to long and it won’t resume where you left off??
If so I will just stream these and won’t buy as i personally don’t find them essential to own especially with that added aggravation from Paramount when these are films I don’t necessarily need to watch from start to finish in one sitting.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just like a great surround sound mix other wise why do a dolby atmos mixing in the first place. That's just my opinion and you are all welcome to your own..
Are you Atmos equipped?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Just delivered!

df2c721076bb44bd3c74603c84548f83cc330a14-1.jpg

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I pursued the Steelbook variant of the box set last week (challenging in and of itself), which fortuitously allowed me to watch Raiders on its 40th anniversary. An exceptional experience, it looked and sounded fantastic. As always, I got lost in the movie, so didn't notice the picture or sound in any specific manner wrt technical improvements. Just that one of my favorites movies/series is available in pristine quality.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So I’ve watched these movies a million times and I don’t think I ever noticed that Dan Akroyd was in Doom.
I'd noticed, even back on the film's first release, but I'd forgotten. It was a pleasant "surprise" when he appeared. Though of course, you don't exactly notice it's him by sight...it's his voice.

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder
Sometime in mid-2007, I was able to view some 4k test scans harvested from the Raiders OCN, and got an inkling of what lay ahead for anyone attempting to bring the film to 4k. Not a simple task.

Now, spending some quality time sampling the four films:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981

Temple of Doom - 1984

The Last Crusade - 1989

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008

What becomes apparent viewing Paramount's new 4k UHD set is how much film stocks changed during almost thirty years.

Grain structure, very visible in the first couple of films, becomes extremely fine in the fourth, allowing for far more highly resolved imagery. Color becomes more organic with greater depth.

Everything about this new set is first class, which has been further aided by the upgrade to Dolby Atmos for all four productions.

A great deal of effort when into this, and it shows.

And the entire sets works beautifully with projectors.

A fifth disc contains all extras in Blu-ray format.

While I probably need to reference it, I'll not become embroiled in what the story is with light above Mr. Ford and Ms. Allen during the opening of the ark - why it was added, changed, whatever. It simply becomes an odd continuity bit.

I picked up the Best Buy steelbook package, which I presumed would follow the lead of HBO/Warners Game of Thrones set, which had each steelbook, firmly held between hard molded foam.

One might presume that the cost of that packaging was prohibitive. Indy Jones is four steelbooks (3 with single discs, 1 with two) in a outer hard paper shell, with hard paper between the four steelbooks.

A bit less elegant, but the purpose is served.

Overall a terrific 4k release that seems perfect in all regards.

When Indy 5 appears summer 2022, will it lead to a new 5-movie collection?

Is it worth holding out to hold what all presumably be the entire series in one's grasp?

Not for me.

The new 4-movie collection is a dream come true.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray -Absolutely

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

5! I disagree. The difference between Raiders and Temple are quite large. Film grain consistency is not equal and DNR work is visible. Bit-rates and also too low to resolve the film grain. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is where the DNR work gets really bad, that along with low bit-rates makes it look worse.

60 to 70 Mbps average bit-rate is not enough for film grain like this. It needs at least 84, but 94 Mbps average bit-rate like Django would be much better.

My Thoughts on Video Quality
4.5 - Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Giving 5 out of 5 for every single 4K review is not accurate information IMO. There are differences between these discs, and it's easy to see.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
5! I disagree. The difference between Raiders and Temple are quite large. Film grain consistency is not equal and DNR work is visible. Bit-rates and also too low to resolve the film grain. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is where the DNR work gets really bad, that along with low bit-rates makes it look worse.

60 to 70 Mbps average bit-rate is not enough for film grain like this. It needs at least 84, but 94 Mbps average bit-rate like Django would be much better.

My Thoughts on Video Quality
4.5 - Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4.0 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Giving 5 out of 5 for every single 4K review is not accurate information IMO. There are differences between these discs, and it's easy to see.

Maybe RAH is actually watching the disc on his high quality JVC RS3000 front projector and OLED instead of reading bit rates.

And there are almost countless discs which have lower bit rates yet are encoded better than discs with higher rates. It's also how bits are used.

Regarding the use of DNR, you are the first I've read about this even being an issue - especially on The Last Crusade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks