What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thanks Neil. I had a feeling that was the case. I wonder if the iTunes HD versions are improved transfers or simply from the same masters used on the old blu rays?
I think if there's a 4K master, iTunes uses that across the board, for 4K, HD and SD.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I do have a 4K player, that’s true Mr. Harris. That’s an option.

Thanks Nick. Hope that’s true about iTunes!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watch 4K discs all the time with a regular old tv.
Works very well for most discs but I found that I need to turn off the hdr on my player or it looks over saturated.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I think if there's a 4K master, iTunes uses that across the board, for 4K, HD and SD.

Not quite. The master for The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games on iTunes are the old versions on the 1080p stream. The other 3 versions are the same across the board. Seems Paramount did this with the Mission: Impossible movies too. The 1080p streams on iTunes are the old versions despite them being available in 4k. It would make common sense for the same master no matter what the resolution but it seems it depends on the studio.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not quite. The master for The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games on iTunes are the old versions on the 1080p stream. The other 3 versions are the same across the board. Seems Paramount did this with the Mission: Impossible movies too. The 1080p streams on iTunes are the old versions despite them being available in 4k. It would make common sense for the same master no matter what the resolution but it seems it depends on the studio.
Are you sure you’re not talking about Vudu there, Joe? I’ve never known iTunes to have anything but a single stream scaled to whatever resolution you have access to.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Are you sure you’re not talking about Vudu there, Joe? I’ve never known iTunes to have anything but a single stream scaled to whatever resolution you have access to.
Unfortunately this is the case with iTunes. I was excited when they added the Mission Impossible and Jack Ryan films to 4k on iTunes. I have a 3rd generation Apple TV so I'm limited to the 1080p stream but my brother has a 4k Apple TV and 4k TV. I doubled checked with him and once you change settings from SDR to HDR. The transfer goes from the old Bluray master to the new UHD master for the titles I mentioned. I would say 80-85% of the time it's the same no matter the resolution but not every title will do this. It seems WB, Disney, and Sony are pretty consistent. Paramount is 50/50 whether the lower resolutions match the master used for the 4K.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Watching the first one now.

It is super dark.
Bumped up backlight and contrast and now I can seem it.

Got the set for a smidge under $40 from Amazon on Black Friday.
I got this one recently:

It is super dark and lots of the dark blooms blue. I don’t like to adjust my TV for just one movie, so I’m probably going to return it. The blu ray looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks