What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not a great deal needs to be repeated about George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, except that it birthed an exultation of spin-offs and imitators.

Question at hand is whether the new 4k release from Criterion is worth an upgrade, and my eyes are telling me it is not. That noted, if one doesn't have the earlier Blu-ray, which like the 4k is filled to overflowing with extras, the 4k is the one of add to a library.

There is simply no 4k imagery here to reproduce.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - No

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Given the copyright history of this one, can't say I'm surprised. RAH, I'm trying to remember if you posted anything about the elements used when you looked at the original Criterion Blu-ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Given the copyright history of this one, can't say I'm surprised. RAH, I'm trying to remember if you posted anything about the elements used when you looked at the original Criterion Blu-ray.
According to Criterion it was almost entirely the camera negative with some damaged sections being replaced with an original 35mm fine grain.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
According to Criterion it was almost entirely the camera negative with some damaged sections being replaced with an original 35mm fine grain.
So this release should be an exhibit in the "why 4K UHD isn't necessary for EVERY release" gallery.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It might have been worth it if they had done an HDR pass back in 2015. Unfortunately neither the director nor the cinematographer are available to approve such a thing now.
I'm thinking more about the elements. Given that NOLTD was a very low budget film, the question remains whether there was any HDR data to be gleaned. I'm leaning toward the negative.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
There are many HDR releases of "low budget films", even ones shot on 16mm. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD was shot in 35mm, low budget or not. I understand why Criterion didn't include HDR here, though, as Romero signed off on the SDR restoration back before he passed away and Criterion is all about respecting the filmmaker's intent.

Vincent

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There are many HDR releases of "low budget films", even ones shot on 16mm. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD was shot in 35mm, low budget or not. I understand why Criterion didn't include HDR here, though, as Romero signed off on the SDR restoration back before he passed away and Criterion is all about respecting the filmmaker's intent.

Vincent
There also many examples of poor HDR out there. The use of HDR on pre-1970 films is up for debate and requires a VERY skilled hand at the tiller if you will. Given the choice, and the fact that there isn't 4K of information in the frame, notwithstanding the passing of Romero, Criterion made the right call.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Its one of my all-time favorites so I bought it! It came in a regular Blu-ray case which I prefer over digibooks anyway :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I still remember as a kid the evening my older brother brought home what I believe was the very first VHS release of this movie. If my memory is right, early 1980s(?). He was excited to finally watch this again as it had been years and pretty much insisted our whole family watch it that night.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Real Name
Chris
I think Carnival of Souls is a better candidate for UHD than this picture. I recall some sharp images and quality blacks that outdo the Romero film.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Not a chance. I have an old VHS I bought years ago that was in the dollar bin even back then. The fuzzy scratch picture fit the silly movie well. Ever Halloween I get that tape out and have fun, people love it and any kids around are crazy interested by the VHS. I try to explain to them just how amazing Beta and VHS were back in the day. The idea that you could hold a whole movie in your hand and play it on your own TV while watching it with a cold brew while wearing your bunny pajamas with the floppy ears and fuzzy feet. It was a revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks