What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Non-Stop -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I'd not read reviews before viewing Jaume Collet-Serra's Non-Stop, I'd gotten the message.

Aging, former serious, award-winning actor, now relegated to playing second rate actions roles.

Having now seen the film, I couldn't disagree more with the reviewers, and I believe I understand where the derision and angst may be coming from.

For some unknown reason, actors who are anointed by a specific critically lauded role, are seemingly held to that mold.

But every film isn't Schindler's List, or Lawrence, or A Man for All Seasons.

The best thing that an actor can do is to constantly re-invent themselves. But Mr. Neeson seems to have struck a nerve with some that can't understand how, or why, he would do thrillers and actions films.

But it's something at which he's terrific!

One critic went to so far as to attack the entire plot line by averring that cell phones can't be used on international flights.

What we have in NON-STOP is an intelligent action thriller, with Mr. Neeson playing an air marshal under extreme duress, being allowed very little help as he does his job.

Both the cast (Julianne Moore, Scoot McNair, Michelle Dockery, Corey Stoll, Lupita Nyong'o, Omar Metwally, Jason Butler Harner, Linus Roche, Shea Whigham, Anson Mount, Corey Hawkins, Frank Deal and all the others, as well as those who did the casting, are superb.

There may be names on the list that don't immediately ring a bell, or flash before your visual Rolodex, and that's fine. What matters is that they work beautifully together. When you see their faces, you'll relate them to past works.

I've mentioned casting directors in the past, but many viewers don't realize how irreplaceable they are to a production.

Those responsible for Non-Stop are Amanda Mackey and Cathy Sandrich, aka Amanda Mackey Johnson and Cathy Sandrich-Gelfond. Together, they have six decades of experience, and together and separately, have been responsible for casting dozens of superb films.

A sampling:

Patriot Games, The Fugitive, Species, 'Round Midnight, U.S. Marshals, Ronin, The Hunt for Red October, Practical Magic, Cold Creek Manor, 27 Dresses, The Proposal, Olympus Has Fallen, Run All Night, Laws of Attraction, The Men Who Stare at Goats, and a slew of others.

Think about it.

Casting doesn't just occur, and it tends to be a house of cards.

The casting of Non-Stop is a perfect example of what occurs when everything comes together.

Non-Stop was shot on film, (35/3) and finished as a 2k DI, so the resultant Blu-ray, along with the Oppo's 4k uprez, were perfect.

Likewise, the audio, presented in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is room-filling and properly huge at times.

I'm one of those people who gives Mr. Neeson huge credit for basically re-inventing himself as an action hero in 2008, with Taken, after 30 years of superb work.

A fun thriller that does precisely what it's supposed to do for two hours.

Entertain.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]For some unknown reason, actors who are anointed by a specific critically lauded role, are seemingly held to that mold.
[...]The best thing that an actor can do is to constantly re-invent themselves.
[...]I'm one of those people who gives Mr. Neeson huge credit for basically re-inventing himself as an action hero in 2008, with Taken, after 30 years of superb work.
RAH
Damned straight, on that count. It's an impossibly tough place for critics to place an actor. After all, they're not the producer, director and writer, too. They are actors. And they like to work. It's up to others to supply the rest. I concur with you on all fronts.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
While I'd not read reviews before viewing Jaume Collet-Serra's Non-Stop, I'd gotten the message.

Aging, former serious, award-winning actor, now relegated to playing second rate actions roles.

Having now seen the film, I couldn't disagree more with the reviewers, and I believe I understand where the derision and angst may be coming from.

For some unknown reason, actors who are anointed by a specific critically lauded role, are seemingly held to that mold.

The best thing that an actor can do is to constantly re-invent themselves. But Mr. Neeson seems to have struck a nerve with some that can't understand how, or why, he would do thrillers and actions films.

But it's something at which he's terrific!

One critic went to so far as to attack the entire plot line by averring that cell phones can't be used on international flights.

What we have in NON-STOP is an intelligent action thriller, with Mr. Neeson playing an air marshal under extreme duress, being allowed very little help as he does his job.

Both the cast (Julianne Moore, Scoot McNair, Michelle Dockery, Corey Stoll, Lupita Nyong'o, Omar Metwally, Jason Butler Harner, Linus Roche, Shea Whigham, Anson Mount, Corey Hawkins, Frank Deal and all the others, as well as those who did the casting, are superb.

There may be names on the list that don't immediately ring a bell, or flash before your visual Rolodex, and that's fine. What matters is that they work beautifully together. When you see their faces, you'll relate them to past works.

I've mentioned casting directors in the past, but many viewers don't realize how irreplaceable they are to a production.

Those responsible for Non-Stop are Amanda Mackey and Cathy Sandrich, aka Amanda Mackey Johnson and Cathy Sandrich-Gelfond. Together, they have six decades of experience, and together and separately, have been responsible for casting dozens of superb films.

A sampling:

Patriot Games, The Fugitive, Species, 'Round Midnight, U.S. Marshals, Ronin, The Hunt for Red October, Practical Magic, Cold Creek Manor, 27 Dresses, The Proposal, Olympus Has Fallen, Run All Night, Laws of Attraction, The Men Who Stare at Goats, and a slew of others.

Think about it.

Casting doesn't just occur, and it tends to be a house of cards.

The casting of Non-Stop is a perfect example of what occurs when everything comes together.

Non-Stop was shot on film, (35/3) and finished as a 2k DI, so the resultant Blu-ray, along with the Oppo's 4k uprez, were perfect.

Likewise, the audio, presented in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is room-filling and properly huge at times.

I'm one of those people who gives Mr. Neeson huge credit for basically re-inventing himself as an action hero in 2008, with Taken, after 30 years of superb work.

A fun thriller that does precisely what it's supposed to do for two hours.

Entertain.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

I wish I could place the quote, but I believe it was either Michael Caine or Roger Moore who was told by Noel Coward that their goal should be to become a "working actor", i.e., an actor who is always working, never "looking" for work. Neeson has certainly achieved that and, after all, isn't being entertained our main reason for going to the movies? "Non-Stop" certainly achieves that mission.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You know you could simply change a few words around and this could be a review for Taken, Run All Night, or any of the other eurotrash thrillers that Leeson can't seem to get out of these days.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I loved the film. I showed it to my kids before their first time flying. They recently said to me "Dad, I still can't believe you showed us that movie right before we flew the first time!"

I also enjoyed Taken and The Grey. But A Walk Among the Tombstones was not as good for me. And I still haven't watched Run All Night.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Damned straight, on that count. It's an impossibly tough place for critics to place an actor. After all, they're not the producer, director and writer, too. They are actors. And they like to work. It's up to others to supply the rest. I concur with you on all fronts.

That sentiment is no less true for writers and directors. If you want to make a living these days and you're not interested in superheroes, remakes or sequels, you're out of luck.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As it is, few people know the difference between an Ibsen, an Ibid or an ISBN.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That sentiment is no less true for writers and directors. If you want to make a living these days and you're not interested in superheroes, remakes or sequels, you're out of luck.
I just thought of a quick way to making a million.
There are remakes and then there are sequels.
But has there ever been a remake of a sequel?
Hmmmm-m-m-m-m.:3dglasses:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
....what I love about Liam Neeson is that he can pull off these throwaway fun popcorn type flicks just as well as he can more serious roles. Brilliant actor and love everything he is in including Non-Stop! Great screen presence just like my other fave actors Clint Eastwood and Robert DeNiro.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wish I could place the quote, but I believe it was either Michael Caine or Roger Moore who was told by Noel Coward that their goal should be to become a "working actor", i.e., an actor who is always working, never "looking" for work [... ]
Can't help you on Caine or Moore, but Noel Coward did give advice to Peter O' Toole on his career as an actor.
I believe the quote was, "Right time, right place".
This came from a Peter O' Toole interview, found in the bonus materials on the BD of "The Stunt Man".
Mr. O' Toole attributed this advice in reference to how he came to work with Richard Rush and on being a middle-aged actor; when no longer being at the younger age for "Lawrence" leads.
Check it out in context; great stories from another Irish actor who always worked.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I just thought of a quick way to making a million.
There are remakes and then there are sequels.
But has there ever been a remake of a sequel?
Hmmmm-m-m-m-m.:3dglasses:

Well, Star Trek Into Darkness is essentially a remake of Star Trek II, which makes it a remake of a sequel and a sequel of a remake.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, Star Trek Into Darkness is essentially a remake of Star Trek II, which makes it a remake of a sequel and a sequel of a remake.
Well, it's not a first-time idea. But it did make a million bucks, right?;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I will respectfully disagree - they mirror one specific scene in tribute to Star Trek II, but the entire movie isn't a remake. Completely different story, different character motivations, different inciting actions and different endings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks