What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Notorious -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jim Reid

Auditioning
Yes, Vanguard is down as the production company but Selznick is nowhere in the credits. These might have been some of his "pacakges" that he sold to other studios. Would love to see all these eventually make to blu-ray, but expecially Portrait of Jennie. Love that film.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another important addition would be Since You Went Away, which is virtually unknown outside of cineaste circles.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Chas in CT said:
I opened one in my laptop's default "Windows Live Photo Gallery" application and printed from there.  The printed image was just slightly smaller than it should be, on all sides, but I'm a complete dunce when it comes to graphics programs and have no idea how to tweak it properly.  It's probably high time I learned me a little Photoshop Elements or something.
It is in your PRINT settings - you need to go in there and set it not to reduce it in size.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Several years ago GEH's original nitrate on Portrait was run for the AMIA conference.

Seeing the film on a large screen, with a very receptive audience, and in it's original form, was incredible.

The tinting worked perfectly. Love to see this make its way to the fore via MGM.

I'm with you there. I've always found Portrait of Jennie haunting, enchanting, beautiful, and I can't understand why it was met with such coolness during its initial run.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Finally had a chance to sit down this weekend and watch Notorious. I've not seen it in a while. I never noticed before the sweat beads on Bergman's forehead before when she's passing out from the poison. This has been one of my favorite Hitchcock films. Grant and Bergman are soo good in this film. I also listened to 3/4 of the first audio commentary by the film historian discussing the film's structure and typical Hitchcockian elements. The guy is pretty much non stop! Vertigo must come out soon! As well as the Universal films and Dial M.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I finally saw it, too, and it is a lovely transfer. The film has a HUGE number of opticals and most of them have long durations - some go on for minutes. This is one film where it would have been nice to have the opticals cut in short.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Patrick for the rumor that the Universal Hitchcocks could have a release in September.:) In regards to the opticals, there are a lot. It has occurred to me that there are a lot in this film, but i took it for granted. Never thought its a lot. For the most part, they all work well. But I found with each new copy I get, from laser disc, to Criterion laserdisc then DVDs on Anchor Bay and Criterion and now blu ray, I found the scenes on Alicia's balcony becoming more clear that the edges of the balcony rails are where the opticals are showing more as the image gets clearer! With the improved contrasts and image quality, the street cafe scenes and park bench scenes look better. But overall, what I really like about this film are the three leads and their performances. Really great stuff, the lovers who can't admit they don't want Alicia to do the job and the hapless victim Alexander becomes from their plot. They really don't make them like this anymore.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Nelson Au said:
Thanks Patrick for the rumor that the Universal Hitchcocks could have a release in September.:) In regards to the opticals, there are a lot. It has occurred to me that there are a lot in this film, but i took it for granted. Never thought its a lot. For the most part, they all work well. But I found with each new copy I get, from laser disc, to Criterion laserdisc then DVDs on Anchor Bay and Criterion and now blu ray, I found the scenes on Alicia's balcony becoming more clear that the edges of the balcony rails are where the opticals are showing more as the image gets clearer! With the improved contrasts and image quality, the street cafe scenes and park bench scenes look better. But overall, what I really like about this film are the three leads and their performances. Really great stuff, the lovers who can't admit they don't want Alicia to do the job and the hapless victim Alexander becomes from their plot. They really don't make them like this anymore.
You're welcome. Someone on another forum registered just to post Universal's 2012 slate. Here is the slate for September. Sept. Blu combo (9/4): Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Airport (also dvd), Double Indemnity, Jurassic Park (also dvd) Repackaged blu combo + dvd (9/4): Atonement, Bridesmaids, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Out of Africa, Scarface '83 Repackaged dvd (9/4): The Birds*, Double Indemnity*, The Incredible Shrinking Man, It Came From Outer Space, Psycho*, Scarface '32, Vertigo* Blu-ray Alfred Hitchcock set (9/4): Not certain, but thinking this will contain The Birds, Psycho, and Vertigo Standard blu (9/4): Rumble Fish, Slap Shot, Streets of Fire (all bd)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
But overall, what I really like about this film are the three leads and their performances. Really great stuff, the lovers who can't admit they don't want Alicia to do the job and the hapless victim Alexander becomes from their plot. They really don't make them like this anymore.
Agreed. And, Madame Konstantin was wonderful, too. I finally watched this BD last night, and thoroughly loved it (again). Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Patrick! September will be expensive. In addition to the Hitchcock titles, Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein and some other titles there too!

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Nelson Au said:
Thanks for the info Patrick! September will be expensive. In addition to the Hitchcock titles, Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein and some other titles there too!
It's worth noting Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend are both slated for June 25th releases from Masters of Cinema/Eureka. Although, they're region B locked discs and you'd need a region free blu-ray player.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Richard--W said:
Notorious is a perfect film. Everything about it is perfect. No flaws. Just simple brilliance.
Thank you for the art work! I've never seen this before. Agree that this is a perfect film. My absolute favorite movie of all time.
ShellOilJunior said:
Here is the slate for September. Sept. Blu combo (9/4): Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Airport (also dvd), Double Indemnity, Jurassic Park (also dvd) Repackaged blu combo + dvd (9/4): Atonement, Bridesmaids, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Out of Africa, Scarface '83 Repackaged dvd (9/4): The Birds*, Double Indemnity*, The Incredible Shrinking Man, It Came From Outer Space, Psycho*, Scarface '32, Vertigo* Blu-ray Alfred Hitchcock set (9/4): Not certain, but thinking this will contain The Birds, Psycho, and Vertigo Standard blu (9/4): Rumble Fish, Slap Shot, Streets of Fire (all bd)
Not sure if I should thank you or not. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a point of reference, to the best of my memory, the Selznick package of films is inclusive of the following:

Portrait of Jennie

The Paradine Case

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

The Farmer's Daughter

Duel in the Sun

The Spiral Staircase

Since You Went Away

Intermezzo

Made for Each Other

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Nothing Sacred

A Star is Born (1937) - rights held by WB

The Garden of Allah

Little Lord Fauntleroy

I may have overreached or left one or two out, but overall great and important films, that should be on Blu-ray.

RAH
Well RAH, this listing of yours had more titles on it released on Blu-ray since you posted it. We still have two of them missing on Blu-ray "Little Lord Fauntleroy" and "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer". Also, I hope "A Star is Born" is released again on BD with a much better transfer with the 2018 version doing so well at the box office. Warner has the negatives, but unfortunately this film is in PD hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Kino released Little Lord Fauntleroy on Blu. They also released A Farewell to Arms and Bird of Paradise, which aren't on RAH's list. Agree that Selznick is well represented on blu-ray now. Bring on The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino released Little Lord Fauntleroy on Blu. They also released A Farewell to Arms and Bird of Paradise, which aren't on RAH's list. Agree that Selznick is well represented on blu-ray now. Bring on The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer!
I stand corrected, I never bought that title on Blu-ray and I wonder why? Is it due to bad reviews.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks