What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pauline at the Beach -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Someone once ventured the concept to me, while discussing French cinema, that to not love the works of Eric Rohmer, is to be without a soul.

While I'd not go quite that far, I'd agree that when it comes to tales of love and the human spirit, his work is extremely important, and those who have not sampled the likes of Chloe in the Afternoon, Claire's Knee, My Night at Maud's, and our subject here, Pauline at the Beach, should begin their exploration.

Another interesting point, is the difference between American coming of age films, as opposed to European, especially French.

Pauline at the Beach is a wonderful comedy about love and relationships, and I'll not go further than that.

Finally, as a Blu-ray, especially released in the Colonies, Kino Lorber's Pauline is a welcome rarity.

Foreign films released on Blu-ray are all over the map in terms of quality, but fortunately, Pauline, which takes place on the beaches of Brittany during the summer, looks as it should, which means bright and lovely.

Apparently the image was harvested from an IP, which would not be unusual, but in this case, the IP was well produced, and the resultant Blu-ray is a quality affair, down to gorgeous sub-titles. A bit of sparkle, a bit of positive dirt, a couple of processing streaks, but never anything troublesome.

For those unacquainted with the work of Eric Rohmer, this is a great place to dip one's toes into the water.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks