What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pendulum -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sony has a new line of Blu-rays, about to be made available, and they're being represented as MOD product.

The first is George Schaefer's Pendulum (1969), with George Peppard, Jean Seberg and Richard Kiley, in the leads.

MOD releases have gotten a bad rep, as early on, some were problematic.

But Sony's new series seems to be different.

While it may be publicized as MOD, possibly because of limited pressings, the discs (or at least the sample that I received) are pressed.

So, for those with an aversion to burned discs, no worries here.

The other anomaly that many people seem to feel represents the MOD culture, are older, far less than stellar transfers.

Once again, possibly because it's Sony, that doesn't come into play here.

The film appears derived from a modern image harvest, with gorgeous color, perfect grain, and proper black levels and contrast.

It was shot by Lionel Lindon - Around the World in 80 Days, Grand Prix, The Manchurian Candidate.

If Sony follows through with their forthcoming schedule of product, this is a portent of very positive things to come.

As far as I'm aware, the film has never been available on (domestic) DVD.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Isn't any

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Many thanks for this review. I heard this was coming but had forgotten about it. I'll buy this disc of this little known film with great enthusiasm. I saw it when it was first released and have never seen it since.

I hope that other MIA George Peppard film from the same period, P.J. is also coming soon. (The alternative title is so much better: A New Face In Hell)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
This is good news, thanks for the review Mr. Harris! I'm a fan of many of these George Peppard starring vehicles from the late 60s, especially P.J., and their absence on video or DVD has been disappointing...hopefully someone someday will get around to releasing 1968's House of Cards (with Orson Welles and Inger Stevens). Remember that one fondly.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is good news, thanks for the review Mr. Harris! I'm a fan of many of these George Peppard starring vehicles from the late 60s, especially P.J., and their absence on video or DVD has been disappointing...hopefully someone someday will get around to releasing 1968's House of Cards (with Orson Welles and Inger Stevens). Remember that one fondly.
I have a Spanish DVD of House Of Cards, part of the Universal Cinema Classics series. All the film grain has been removed but if that does not trouble you, it might be worth buying. (In other respects it's a pretty good disc)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks