What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Secret of the Incas – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
They have the rights, but the fact that “commercially available” recordings exist does not mean that Paramount has access to them. To simply use a commercially available recording for remastering may be available to end users under the Fair Use doctrine, but a studio would want access to original masters for best possible quality, much like you want to work from at least an IP for the video master. They’d have to pay for that access.
And, if they did take on the effort and expense to upgrade the music, Paramount/Kino would be lambasted by the audio-purists for tinkering with the original sound mix. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is a tough one. The 2023 Kino is definitely sharper, the sound is quite a bit crisper in tone, and it is free of the blue splotches that mar many scenes compared to the 2022 Imprint Blu-ray. But as far as eye-popping color goes, well… It would seem that perhaps a few more adjustments could’ve been made for the new 4K-sourced master. It’s possible some scenes should appear rather dark and bluish in keeping with the nighttime setting of some scenes, but I do wonder if perhaps a few adjustments should’ve been made throughout this new master so that the color had some of the richness (but not the oversaturation) of the prior release.

The colored halos and fringing are definitely gone. I only noticed the very different color scheme in some scenes when making this A/B comparison video, which includes a few shots at twice the size to show up the sharpness difference.

View attachment 178472
View attachment 178473
View attachment 178474
View attachment 178475

I was looking at these caps again. The blue "splotches" and other anomalies can be attributed to misalignment in the element [note the green and blue fringing on Heston's white shirt]. The Imprint also looks artificially boosted, so while the flesh tones may be more pink and other colours more bold, I'd lean towards the Kino as being more accurate to source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks