What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Thank you for the information on the Court Jester being in mono sound. If it was in 3-channel stereo I would have bought it. I have the front speakers behind my perforated screen so I really enjoy the titles with stereo sound. If a title with directional sound is released mono I skip it. Also a widescreen movie cropped or a 3D title in 2D.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Robert!

I picked up the digital version on iTunes and I can’t wait to see the film in 4k there.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Thank you for the information on the Court Jester being in mono sound. If it was in 3-channel stereo I would have bought it. I have the front speakers behind my perforated screen so I really enjoy the titles with stereo sound. If a title with directional sound is released mono I skip it. Also a widescreen movie cropped or a 3D title in 2D.

Outside of a non-US label picking up the title and adding a Perspecta option, I really doubt we're getting anything better than this considering it took 20 years for a new edition after the dupey 2000 DVD. I'm too big of a fan to pass on this and considering Paramount won't even re-do a blatantly fouled disc like To Catch a Thief, it's too good of a film to pass up.

It'll be nice to finally send the DVD off to the thrift shop pile.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Outside of a non-US label picking up the title and adding a Perspecta option, I really doubt we're getting anything better than this considering it took 20 years for a new edition after the dupey 2000 DVD. I'm too big of a fan to pass on this and considering Paramount won't even re-do a blatantly fouled disc like To Catch a Thief, it's too good of a film to pass up.

It'll be nice to finally send the DVD off to the thrift shop pile.

Maybe Indicator. Their versions always have more features than the US and are region free.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Maybe Indicator. Their versions always have more features than the US and are region free.
Not all Indicator blu-rays are region free, especially if there is already a US licensee (eg Sweet Charity) :cool:.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Not all Indicator blu-rays are region free, especially if there is already a US licensee (eg Sweet Charity) :cool:.

I forgot about Sweet Charity. I have First Men in The Moon, Mysterious Island, etc. and are region free. I forgot you shouldn't assume anything.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I forgot about Sweet Charity. I have First Men in The Moon, Mysterious Island, etc. and are region free. I forgot you shouldn't assume anything.
1611343519744.png
:D ;)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are watching the iTunes digital copy now. Looks pretty good to me. I have no idea if this is the new transfer but what I’m watching is well worth $4.99.

Mark

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The price also dropped to $4.99 on iTunes Canada (most HD Paramount titles tend to be around the $17.99 mark, so a decent discount). I bite the bullet and purchased in hopes it will be upgraded to 4K. I've never seen the film before, but it looks gorgeous and must be the new master.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The price also dropped to $4.99 on iTunes Canada (most HD Paramount titles tend to be around the $17.99 mark, so a decent discount). I bite the bullet and purchased in hopes it will be upgraded to 4K. I've never seen the film before, but it looks gorgeous and must be the new master.
It’s a wonderfully entertaining film.

Look for “Little Billy” Rhodes, who played the barrister in Wizard of Oz.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Andrew inspired me to also pick up the iTunes copy for $4.99 in case it upgrades shortly to 4K, but if it doesn't I will be perfectly happy with the transfer I have now - it's that good.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I pre-ordered mine at Amazon suppose to be delivered Tuesday. I've never seen this one, I'm looking forward to it!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Andrew inspired me to also pick up the iTunes copy for $4.99 in case it upgrades shortly to 4K, but if it doesn't I will be perfectly happy with the transfer I have now - it's that good.

I did the same. I’ve never seen the film before.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, I'll make it about The Court Jester again, since I watched it this evening. It's a favorite of mine - saw it many, many times when it came out, and it was the first 16mm print I bought (along with The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad - both like new IB Tech prints) - they were delivered to me on the final day of shooting for The First Nudie Musical - we were on location at the Fox Venice doing the film's final scenes. The seller, well-known, drove the prints over and I paid and put them in the car and then watched them that weekend. This new transfer has perfect color - just like Tech. So, that's good. And it looks really good, even the opticals. BTW, when one says the main title is an optical, that's not quite accurate. There are many layers in that optical, so heaven knows how many generations we are, so it looks pretty good actually. There's Kaye, there's the frame around the entire image, there are the titles themselves. Opticals on opticals. Thankfully, the opticals in the film itself aren't that many and look pretty decent here. This is, for me, the best Paramount has done so far.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, I'll make it about The Court Jester again, since I watched it this evening. It's a favorite of mine - saw it many, many times when it came out, and it was the first 16mm print I bought (along with The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad - both like new IB Tech prints) - they were delivered to me on the final day of shooting for The First Nudie Musical - we were on location at the Fox Venice doing the film's final scenes. The seller, well-known, drove the prints over and I paid and put them in the car and then watched them that weekend. This new transfer has perfect color - just like Tech. So, that's good. And it looks really good, even the opticals. BTW, when one says the main title is an optical, that's not quite accurate. There are many layers in that optical, so heaven knows how many generations we are, so it looks pretty good actually. There's Kaye, there's the frame around the entire image, there are the titles themselves. Opticals on opticals. Thankfully, the opticals in the film itself aren't that many and look pretty decent here. This is, for me, the best Paramount has done so far.
They’re certainly getting better at achieving an overall filmic appearance.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Indicator used to have a lot of region-free titles, mostly from Sony. But a year or so ago, Sony requested that they region-lock their titles.

They wouldn't likely be doing The Court Jester anyway. They've only released one Paramount title (Badge 373), and don't have any others in the pipeline at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks