What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Girl from Rio -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Short and sweet.

Jess Franco's 1968 The Girl from Rio, with Shirley Eaton in the lead, and George Sanders hanging around is a gorgeously mastered new 4k release from Blue Underground.

It is also, unfortunately, one of the worst films I've tried not to see.

A technical waste except for Francophiles, who will be extremely pleased.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD Monaural 1.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - ?

Worth your attention - 0

Slipcover rating - 1

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My ignorance about this title was bliss until you shattered it with your few words.
I am now a denizen of Paradise Lost.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Now you got me curious. Blue Underground has released some notable cult movies - Daughters Of Darkness and Zombie among them - but this particular gem isn't even listed in Jeff Franco's oeuvre on Rotten Tomatoes. Not even as one if its seven - count 'em! - alternative titles (Rio 70 / River 70 / Future Woman / Future Women / Mothers of America / The Seven Secrets of Sumuru / Die sieben Männer der Sumuru). Mr Franco, or Jesús Franco Manera, to credit him with a moniker, with which the auteur is listed on Wikipedia, seems to have beavered tirelessly away all his life, being responsible for far more productions than Martin Scorsese. The blurb on RT does state that Jeff Franco professed to openly despise most of his films, but I notice that the DVD cover of The Girl From Rio claims that the august bible of film reference, The Psychotronic Encyclopedia Of Film, has pronounced it to be "Spectacular!". Could still be worth a punt. Just saying.

2003717470.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
For a minute there I read it as Nancy Goes to Rio in 4k and thought well people put out the darndest things.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I used to hold a "Death By Taco" film evening, once a month, during university days, with two good friends. The agenda: eat tacos until we were bursting, and watch a critically derided movie, on VHS. You know, stuff like Barb Wire, just about anything starring Madonna, and more grindhouse fare. Pretty sure The Girl From Rio would fit that remit. However, $40 is a wee bit steep for trash, however beautifully produced the disc is, and I will await a bargain sale further on down the line.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With this specific 4K/UHD release, we now have further evidence that Physical Media is here to stay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks