What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Yes, he did.

"The DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track on the DVD was INTENSE! The bass would bring most subs to their knees like Blade Runner 2049 or Inception. Too bad they didn't base the Blu-ray track off that."

As far as the DVDs are compared, the DD 5.1 might not have anything wrong with it - but it is lacking in comparison to the "breathtaking" DTS-ES 6.1 via this review from 2001:

"The DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 version is from a newly created discrete 6.1 master at 24-bit depth, encoded at 754 kilobits per second. So it's a bit unfair comparing the two discs, but hey - that's life. The DTS sound of The Haunting is a breathtaking home theater audio experience. You (and all your neighbors within the same zip code) can literally feel the soundtrack deep down in the belly. The vastness of Hill House is perfectly recreated in the vast spatiality of this track. The surround speakers have to put in extra shifts, as directional sound effects hit you permanently. The discrete back surround channel is very effective and expands the sound field enormously. The DTS-ES disc sounds clearer, more detailed and powerful than any other soundtrack I know...superior...."

wouldn't you want to know that difference at the time?

recent Blu-ray Dolby 5.1 TrueHD would have been interesting to compare against the DTS-ES 6.1 ....but maybe someday:

After having the (1994) laserdisc of 1985's "Fright Night's" "Dolby Surround" completely blow away (in dynamic range and fidelity) the much more thin 1999 DVD's 5.1 audio and the Blu-ray's 5.1 audio.....it's an interesting topic.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I, too, cannot "feel" Spielberg's influence being all over The Haunting; watched my DVD copy last night and I shared that exact sentiment with my wife as the film went on. Now, something like Poltergeist? Oh, heck yes you can feel Spielberg's style all over that narrative...the camera shots, the playful "setup music" between scare sequences, et. al.

....I totally agree.
1603219122509.png

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So..Back to The Haunting, I just rewatched the 4K/Dolby Vision iTunes stream and it looks and sounded terrific, even in plain old DD 5.1.

As for the film, it has great production design and audio and visual effects, but as others have stated starts off strong and then degenerates into a generic haunted house visual effects orgy. Still fun tho. ;)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
The production design alone should have been granted an Academy Award (something I said of Wise's original, too); incredible, intricate work.

The issue with the latter half of the film was that DreamWorks got involved -- like so many studios do -- and turned it into a CGI-soaked funhouse of a mess...even the dialogue got really dumbed down at that point (Taylor bellowing "Well, I'm family too, grandpa!!"....I mean, WTF?).

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
This thread isn't about Amityville Horror II so posts regarding that movie have been moved to this thread.
...Apologies for derailing, Mr. Crawford; I am guilty.
Thank you for moving the thread and all of our conversations about AH II to better thread.

Back to 1999's "The Haunting" ....hopefully someone someday can find a review (or do a review) of the Blu-ray's 5.1 Dolby TrueHD mix vs. the DVD's 6.1 DTS-ES mix .....I would enjoy that

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the "rave" about the audio in the current review is close enough for me without needing an actual comparison. It's been my experience that DVD's are frequently "louder" on my system. Not exactly sure why, but louder is not necessarily better.

Audio: 5/5

Paramount brings The Haunting to Blu-ray with a brilliant 5.1 Dolby TrueHD track that will rattle your house to its foundation. The sound design on this film is another of its strong points. Notable from the moment Nell arrives at the gates to Hill House and honks her horn, the subtlety of the audio in the surrounds lets you know you’re in for a treat. The creaks and strains of the old house and the booms and bellows of the angry spirit of Hugh Crain work their way expertly around the sound field and tear at your floorboards with impressively deep low frequency effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks