What's new

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Last night we watched this projected, and I found it tremendously satisfying. I deliberately had NOT gone back beforehand to review RAH's comments at the top of the thread, so that I could let the movie wash over me without preconceived notions of things to look out for. We thought the colors were absolutely gorgeous, especially notable in the first part of the film, and the audio was most satisfying.

And now that I've gone back and re-read RAH's review ..... I did wonder whether the image was slightly softer than it might have been, especially in a few scenes where I couldn't zero in on what the main focus point was intended to be. (One of them was in the dungeon when all the characters are so beautifully arranged and seen from slightly above.) Sync issues would normally drive me nuts, so the ones here must lie just below my threshold. Audio seemed satisfyingly full and strong, but in my enjoyment of it I was picking up something I'd never noticed in any of my past lives -- two things, actually -- the telltale edits or takes from one line to another (with no ambient theater/audience noise to disguise that), and the decibel limiting or capping on some of Mr. O'Toole's most roaring declamations.

Overall, it confirms for me my long held impression of how great everything about the film is, from the script writing, casting, directing, pacing and editing, to the decisions on when music should be present and when it shouldn't. What a masterpiece. Now all we need is the ultimate transfer. :)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My winter lion is arriving on Tuesday with Wings (1927),The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939), Dark Victory (1939), Ninotchka (1939), Dodge City (1939) and Joan of Arc (1948). Hepburn and O'Toole leads the pack for what I want to see first, as my initial reservations concerning this transfer has finally melted away; thanks to RAH and the excellent post of comparisons to the BD #1 and BD #2 of "My Fair Lady" by davidmatychuk.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am planning on sharing this one for one of my monthly neighborhood shares, and hope I can convince a bunch of people to check it out. Attention spans are not what they used to be, and this is nothing if not a talky historical drama with almost no action. I just love the film so much and want to give others a chance to appreciate it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My winter lion is arriving on Tuesday with Wings (1927),The Hunchback of Notre Dame...

Off topic: It's not perfect, but THE HUNCHBACK (1939) has always been a favorite of mine (since I watched it on Million Dollar Movie in NY about a dozen times in one week) and it makes quite a wonderful Blu-ray from Warner Bros. It is sharp, and has good contrast and black levels, and sufficient grain. I am so glad to have this, as it is most likely the last edition of it we will see on video, at least while I'm still alive 'n' kickin'. This is the kind of stuff I wish the Archives were releasing more of, although THE SEA WOLF was stellar.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Off topic: It's not perfect, but THE HUNCHBACK (1939) has always been a favorite of mine (since I watched it on Million Dollar Movie in NY about a dozen times in one week) and it makes quite a wonderful Blu-ray from Warner Bros. It is sharp, and has good contrast and black levels, and sufficient grain. I am so glad to have this, as it is most likely the last edition of it we will see on video, at least while I'm still alive 'n' kickin'. This is the kind of stuff I wish the Archives were releasing more of, although THE SEA WOLF was stellar.
For those interested, the four titles that I mentioned are contained within a boxed-set entitled "The Golden Year: 1939"; which the other day went for 40 bucks on Amazon. Always on my list and long overdue; but, damn, there are so many films to see and buy. With that said, what's that tell us all about "The Lion in Winter"? Bought within the month of release, while so many others have been over a year in the loop and still not yet purchased. Hepburn and O'Toole commands the front burner, each and every time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I am happy to report that the 50th Anniversary of "The Lion in Winter" revealed far greater attributes than expected.
No doubt, this transfer (or restoration) will leave one wanting for more.
And why not? We know it exists.
Nonetheless, I found this disc to be well worth the price of admission.
BTW, Kudos to Kino for their extended efforts with John Barry's score;
which now sounds better than ever before.

Last edited:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I got mine yesterday. the colors were surprising - this was actually filmed uner blue skies, not gray ones.
The sound was certainly true stereo for the music.
All in all a real treat.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I got mine yesterday. the colors were surprising - this was actually filmed uner blue skies, not gray ones.
The sound was certainly true stereo for the music.
All in all a real treat.
True stereo for the music? I thought it was a mix from pure mono elements

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So what's the deal with this anyway? Kino says its a new 4K scan, RAH says its an old 2k from a dupe. People are saying the music tracks are in stereo, RAH says its faked up mono.

I'm confused.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So what's the deal with this anyway? Kino says its a new 4K scan, RAH says its an old 2k from a dupe. People are saying the music tracks are in stereo, RAH says its faked up mono.

I'm confused.
Well put; thus double-edge sword in all our responses.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What? No over-the-weekend posts from other potential viewers?
After various hair-splitting questions about scans, sound and all, I hope that others will no longer refrain from purchasing.
I support Kino and their offering of "The Lion in Winter";
so let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
In fact, I plan to watch it again this week.
Again, it's the best transfer to date; which, of course, is always a very good thing.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Finally watched this 'new blu ray. And unlike most of the folks on this forum...I was disappointed. I wanted it to be great and it was alright I guess..Sound is not stereo. That is quite clear. The 2.0 sounds as good or better than the 5.1. Though my system read 5.1 I heard only sound from the front 3 speakers placing my head agains the speakers. So much for 5.1 . Did not notice any sync issues. Colors were fine and at times vibrant. Picture certainly was not stable in a few instances..especially at the end when Kate Hepburn is leaving the dock and the camera views the castle. Wow..instant headache. I can't be alone in seeing this? Glad this was at the end of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks