What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Updated 4/2/21

Cecil B. DeMille's second epic consideration of that trek across the desert, and all the surrounding hoopla has made it to 4k, with its VistaVision look intact.

The new release appears to be derived from the same restorative efforts performed c. 2008, and while 4k does add some extra resolution, those who already own the earlier Blu-ray, which is a high quality affair, may want to think twice before upgrading, unless they have a large screen.

The two variants appear the same in all areas. The single problem that I had with the Blu-ray was a lack of air in the blacks, and the 4k has precisely the same anomaly, with detail missing in virtually anything black. This does not come from HDR, which seems to have been used sparingly. The film plays nicely with projectors.

I’m also pleased to report that the matte lines are not a problem. Same as Blu.

No doubt about it. The film is historically important. Dialogue sequences still play akin to a filmed stage drama, but in the end, it's great fun.

Audio is requisitely huge for the era.

As to the set itself - It's three discs 1-4k, and the same two Blu-rays that appeared earlier. If the 1923 version could have been included, dropping the Blu-ray, and leaving the extras, this would have been a more intriguing release.

4k Image – 4.5

Audio – 5 (DTD-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film, and have a large screen

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's about time I looked at this again. It is very stagey, & downright camp, & once Moses grows that big beard & starts talking in stentorian tones, it's not so much fun, but I do enjoy it if I'm in the right mood.

...& making those mud bricks without straw, well wouldn't that be a problem more for the Egyptians than the slaves (assuming that it's the Egyptians who would be using the bricks).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Cecil B. DeMille's second epic consideration of that trek across the desert, and all the surrounding hoopla has made it to 4k, with its VistaVision look intact.

The new release appears to be derived from the same restorative efforts performed c. 2008, and while 4k does add some extra resolution, those who already own the earlier Blu-ray, which is a high quality affair, may want to think twice before upgrading, unless they have a large screen.

The two variants appear the same in all areas. The single problem that I had with the Blu-ray was a lack of air in the blacks, and the 4k has precisely the same anomaly, with detail missing in virtually anything black. This does not come from HDR, which seems to have been used sparingly. The film plays nicely with projectors.

I’m also pleased to report that the matte lines are not a problem. Same as Blu.

No doubt about it. The film is historically important. Dialogue sequences still play akin to a filmed stage drama, but in the end, it's great fun.

Audio is requisitely huge for the era.

I do have one small problem with the production, and hopefully HBO and on line streamers will attend to this when it makes its annual Easter appearance.

It should be noted that with tens of thousands of actors playing Jewish slaves, helping to build the Egyptian empire, the majority of the actors, well...

aren't.

And that's just wrong-headed.

I'm not suggesting that the film be removed from distribution, but it's time to make amends.

As to the set itself - It's three discs 1-4k, and the same two Blu-rays that appeared earlier. If the 1923 version could have been included, dropping the Blu-ray, and leaving the extras, this would have been a more intriguing release.

4k Image – 4.5

Audio – 5 (DTD-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film, and have a large screen

Highly Recommended

RAH
I'm not suggesting that the film be removed from distribution, but it's time to make amends.
It's time to "cancel" the 10 commandments!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hey, ya got Manny Goldenberg doing "Moses, I'm the big guy here, see?' Can't get more Jewish than that.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I enjoy the film more with the excellent commentary by Katherine Orrison.
Katherine Orrison really loves this film and it comes through in her commentary. Her book “Written in Stone” also gives a detailed account of the film’s production.
1615951073818.jpeg

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Paramount's press release for this 4K release stated "The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible."

Mr. Harris is his review makes mention of both the black levels and the mattes, saying that both are similar to the Blu-Ray.

Was that just PR hype from Paramount, or did Mr. Harris slip the wrong disc into his player? (Just kidding)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount's press release for this 4K release stated "The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible."

Mr. Harris is his review makes mention of both the black levels and the mattes, saying that both are similar to the Blu-Ray.

Was that just PR hype from Paramount, or did Mr. Harris slip the wrong disc into his player? (Just kidding)
I viewed the 4k vs the BD in the 4k set vs the old BD.

All appear to be the same base element, which is normal.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I canceled my pre-order and bought "The Greatest Show on Earth" instead. It sounds like my blu ray will be just fine.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I viewed the 4k vs the BD in the 4k set vs the old BD.

All appear to be the same base element, which is normal.
I knew you did, of course.

I am keeping my pre-order, since I have a fairly large projection screen. Plus, I want to lend my support to Paramount for finally resuming disc releases. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I knew you did, of course.

I am keeping my pre-order, since I have a fairly large projection screen. Plus, I want to lend my support to Paramount for finally resuming disc releases. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
In projection, and on a large screen, the advantages of 4k should come to the fore.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thought about canceling the 4K disc but i have the Ultimate Collectors box set and one of the hubs that holds the discs is broken plus to get to the discs takes some time. Will keep the pre-order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks