What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A little drum beating for Danny Kaye and Doris Day (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to suggest new releases of the OOP Danny Kaye titles.

Also, I'd like to have the earlier Doris Day musicals, e.g., "Tea for Two" and "April in Paris".

The beginning of a new year seems like a good time to mention requests to whomever may be listening.

DG

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Danny Kaye MIAs: THE INSPECTOR GENERAL (non-pd); UP IN ARMS; A SONG IS BORN; THE KID FROM BROOKLYN; ON THE RIVIERA; ON THE DOUBLE; ME AND THE COLONEL; THE MAN FROM THE DINERS CLUB; KNOCK ON WOOD; MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT; and SKOKIE.
Doris Day MIAs: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS, MY DREAM IS YOURS; TEA FOR TWO, STORM WARNING (2006? Noir box?); I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS, ON MOONLIGHT BAY, THE WINNING TEAM (Reagan box?); BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON; THE WEST POINT STORY (Cagney box?); STARLIFT; APRIL IN PARIS; LUCKY ME; THE TUNNEL OF LOVE; MIDNIGHT LACE; WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?; DO NOT DISTURB; MOVE OVER, DARLING; CAPRICE; THE BALLAD OF JOSIE.
Danny Kaye AND Doris Day MIA: IT"S A GREAT FEELING!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I'd get all the Danny Kaye's titles mentioned above as well as the Doris Day's vehicles for WB along with Julie and Tunnel of Love.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Based on the Warner Bros. executives' blurb in the last studio chat, we should be hearing an announcement about Storm Warning before too long.

I would love to get all of Doris' remaining films, even the poorer ones.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
As far as I know we only have the Court Jester and The Five Pennies to represent Danny Kaye on dvd officially (thanks to Paramount)- although I wonder about the Inspector General and some others I have seen on Amazon - they can't be too good on the video end (public domain?). I do have The Kid From Brooklyn and Lucky Me on Laserdisc to tide me over -so hopefully more are on the way in 2006.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
You also have WHITE CHRISTMAS on DVD for Mr. Kaye....

..and if Sony/MGM is too foolish to release the Kaye Goldwyn films, we can always hope they'll end up in more capable hands when their license expires and the films revert to the Goldwyn family trust.

As for Doris Day, 2005 was a good year for her, with that sensational boxed set from WB, two releases from Paramount, and one from Sony. Since word is the WB box sold well, I'd assume they'll probably prepare another one in the future.

I'm still enjoying re-watching the offerings in their box from a few months ago. Terrific films all.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

This is actually quite acceptable, albeit public domain, if you pick up the right edition (I can't recall which one I had, but it wasn't bad, and it's probably still out there - maybe someone can recall the label). I had never seen INSPECTOR GENERAL looking good before - faded prints, bad sound - even the super 8mm feature print was terrible, with only two good reels out of five, so although it was imperfect, it was a revelation.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

How about OOP titles, such as "Wonder Man" and "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"? Maybe there are others, too???

DG

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Hans Christian Andersen.

I'd certainly buy a least some of the titles mentioned, especially Up in Arms, The Kid from Brooklyn, A Song is Born and It's a Great Feeling.

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator
Along with Knock on Wood and his Goldwyn films, I'd love to add a copy of Merry Andrew to my DVD collection (MGM/Sony, if you do release this film on DVD: OAR please!)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

Merry Andrew would be a WHV release. This is a favorite of mine as well. I believe it was released in CinemaScope and 4 track, so a widescreen and 4.0 DVD is possible.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

I believe it was Perspecta, but SILK STOCKINGS was as well and they created a beautiful track for the current DVD of that. I'll have to dig out my copy of ANDREW and check the credits.

edit:
Just checked and it does say Perspecta in the credits.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
PERSPECTA SOUND was on the credits of many MGM films that were also released in 4 Track Stereo using magnetic prints. (LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME is another example).

Just because Perspecta is on the titles doesn't mean there wasn't also a true 4 track stereo release. Then, there are other occasions where you see PERSPECTA on the credits, and it most definitely was and is a mono film that used the PERSPECTA gimmick.

MERRY ANDREW was indeed released 4 track and has been seen on TCM in true stereo. A shame it's not a better film, but as I understand it, the budget was cut in half during filming. Most likely the reason it didn't do well and is so relatively unknown today.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Merry Andrew turned up on TCM here in Australia just last week.
Unfortunately it was Pan and Scan, Mono and as soft as anything, so I too would more than welcome a nice Anamorphic, Stereo DVD.

While the Movie may not be the greatest, it is still highly enjoyable and has some effervescent Musical Sequences.

It was the only film Michael Kidd directed.

Nelson Riddle was in charge of the Music, which was unusual for an MGM Musical at that time.
I've always wondered how he got the job over the contracted MGM Musicians?

Lovely Pier Angeli was dubbed by Betty Wand who worked on many films including South Pacific.

Pier Angeli sadly commited suicide in 1971 at the age of 39.
Her twin Sister Marisa Pavan appeared in many Movies and was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in THE ROSE TATOO.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd love to see proper DVD's for The Inspector General and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Paramount should seriously consider a new DVD of The Court Jester (The Brew That Is True Edition). The current disc is the worst VistaVision presentation I've seen.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Mgm often has perspecta in the credits becaue both they and Columbia used Perspecta on Mag stereo films as a backup incase the stereo mag system went momentarily down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.