What's new

A Request to ALL Studios Regarging Trailers on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I realize that there have been various threads directed at specific studios regarding this issue, but I want to address this to all studios, because it is a trend that more and more have been following. It is, as the thread title suggests, simply a request.

One of my favorite DVD extra features is the original theatrical trailer for a film. I always look forward to watching this for a variety of reasons. It can get me in the mood to watch the movie, or it can provide a bit of nostalgia for an older film that I remember being excited about seeing, or it can provide an opportunity to see how the film was originally marketed.

Recently, some trailers that I have thought were brilliantly conceived and edited have been left off their respective film's DVD.

DreamWorks' Road to Perdition, The Ring, and Catch Me If You Can all had magnificent trailers. Why couldn't these be preserved? And I do realize that the Catch Me trailer is on the DVD for The Ring, but I shouldn't have to buy The Ring to get the trailer for Catch Me If You Can.

Another example of this sort of thing is Fox's recent releases of Drumline and Antwone Fisher. Both films had excellent trailers, yet the one for Drumline is only available on the Antwone Fisher DVD, and vice versa. What is the reason for this? I understand that including trailers for other films is a way of promoting them, but why couldn't the trailers for both films be on both DVDs. Once again, I shouldn't have to buy the Antwone Fisher disc to get the trailer for Drumline.

I understand that there is the issue of music licensing that impedes the inclusion of a trailer, but for newer movies, this shouldn't be a problem. Because we are several years into the DVD format, and because the trailers have been such a standard feature on most DVDs since the format's inception, why can't these issues be worked out when the music is originally licensed for use in the marketing?

And the cross-promotion like that of the Drumline/Antwone Fisher example leads me to believe that this is not always a music licensing issue.

At any rate, I realize that most people probably don't care, but the inclusion of original theatrical trailers has been such a standard practice on DVDs, that it doesn't make sense that it's suddenly not anymore. And although the movie itself is the most important thing on a DVD, extra features have long been a selling point for DVDs, and trailers are surely among the easiest possible features to include.

I would just like to ask DreamWorks, Sony, Buena Vista, Paramount, Fox, and any other studio that is following this trend of excluding trailers from DVD releases to please re-think this position. I would ask that all theatrical trailers, if available, for a movie be included on future DVD releases. TV spots I will leave to your discretion, but please start including theatrical trailers again. Please take care of music licensing issues when the music is initially licensed for use in the trailer; we are at a point now when that should just be part of the negotiations.

I know that I am not alone in this opinion, as there has been quite a bit of discussion about this topic on these boards. I appreciate your time, and I thank you for your concern for the opinions of your customers.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in full agreement, especially in the matter of classic movie trailers. I understand that for an older feature a trailer may be unavailable, but not for somethine made in the last 20-30 years.

Plain and simple, I've put off purchasing some good films on DVD due to a lack of supplemental materials, trailers included. I'd like to see them on disc, where they belong.

Will K

Screenwriter
Agreed. Excellent post. Scarily enough, the exclusion of trailers is becoming more and more common. I can't imagine it takes that much effort.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I just wanted people to reply to show studios that there really are a lot of people who care about this. Also, I wanted to keep it near the top, so they'd be sure and see it.

Thanks for taking the time to read it; it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks