What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT MELVIN AND HOWARD, STAGECOACH, etc. (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I have friends who are of the opinion that many of these Fox releases are "too blue" or have an incorrect colour balance.
Off the top of my head ( and I'm typing this at 6 am before I head off for the day to Sydney), I can't think of any!!
The King and I is a favourite transfer and excellent in my opinion.
They seem accurate to me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I agree with you about their accuracy. And that's my problem with Three Coins - it's almost like they decided to get even with the blue brigade and do a browner transfer. The skin tones are weird to me and while there certainly is blue it's not as deep as it should be and nothing pops. Now, maybe it's just that the Three Coins negative is problematic, which is probably the case. But then that doesn't explain the not quite right Bedazzled.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Interesting thoughts ,Bruce.
I can't say I thought it too brown overall and it seemed to have enough blue(sky, convertible, etc).
Given Italy, well they do have a lot of sun there, but yes, Jourdan's complexion does vary somewhat.
I didn't expect much by the way of "pop" as this seems just a new scan not a full restoration.
Can't compare it to Bedazzled but I'm still pretty please with it overall.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree with you about their accuracy. And that's my problem with Three Coins - it's almost like they decided to get even with the blue brigade and do a browner transfer. The skin tones are weird to me and while there certainly is blue it's not as deep as it should be and nothing pops. Now, maybe it's just that the Three Coins negative is problematic, which is probably the case. But then that doesn't explain the not quite right Bedazzled.
I watched this last night and I'm very disappointed. I don't think there's a brown push as such. I think the transfer is simply too dark. It's not as extreme as in the Blu-ray disc of the King Vidor/ Audrey Hepburn War And Peace but it's enough to subdue all the colors. I hope that a European boutique label like Arrow will take this on and try to do it better, as happened with The Quiet Man.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I watched this last night and I'm very disappointed. I don't think there's a brown push as such. I think the transfer is simply too dark. It's not as extreme as in the Blu-ray disc of the King Vidor/ Audrey Hepburn War And Peace but it's enough to subdue all the colors. I hope that a European boutique label like Arrow will take this on and try to do it better, as happened with The Quiet Man.
Robin9, did I read your post correctly?
Are you saying that you've been able to compare both the Masters of Cinema and Olive Signature editions of "The Quiet Man"?
If so, please fill us in on those differences, as I was under the impression that they were equal. Will buy MoC if it's better.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9, did I read your post correctly?
Are you saying that you've been able to compare both the Masters of Cinema and Olive Signature editions of "The Quiet Man"?
If so, please fill us in on those differences, as I was under the impression that they were equal. Will buy MoC if it's better.
I have all three releases of "The Quiet Man" on Blu-ray. The first Olive release of 01-22-13 followed by the MOC release of 11-23-15 and finally the Olive Signature release of 10-25-16. I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between the MOC and the last Olive Signature releases.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have all three releases of "The Quiet Man" on Blu-ray. The first Olive release of 01-22-13 followed by the MOC release of 11-23-15 and finally the Olive Signature release of 10-25-16. I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between the MOC and the last Olive Signature releases.
Correct. My point was that the first Olive disc was severely criticized and the U.K. disc showed what was wrong. Olive made amends with their second disc.

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

'3 Coins' was a few weeks ago shown on UK BBC TV in HD. The picture quality was truly excellent with wonderful colors and good sound.
The TT release which I have is not hardly as good so I was disappointed and in comparison to the BBC HD showing it resembles DVD quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
'3 Coins' was a few weeks ago shown on UK BBC TV in HD. The picture quality was truly excellent with wonderful colors and good sound.
The TT release which I have is not hardly as good so I was disappointed and in comparison to the BBC HD showing it resembles DVD quality.
That's interesting and suggests that it should be possible for another label to obtain better results.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

That's an interesting comment because I'm afraid I didn't think that BBC broadcast of "Three Coins in the Fountain" which I have on my hard drive and watched on my 4K 60" LG was very good. For one thing, it's far too dark. For instance, when Maggie McNamara is in Rome station at the beginning of the film, the interior station area behind her can barely be made out, being dark and obscured, compared to the DVD where everything can be clearly seen. The color was better than the DVD but was still rather dull. I have the TT on order so will be interested in doing a comparison, to see if I agree with you that the TT is even worse!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There is also the possibility that they got all the color they could out of the negative, but this film was designed as a travelogue drama and the colors were designed to show off the location properly.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That's an interesting comment because I'm afraid I didn't think that BBC broadcast of "Three Coins in the Fountain" which I have on my hard drive and watched on my 4K 60" LG was very good. For one thing, it's far too dark. For instance, when Maggie McNamara is in Rome station at the beginning of the film, the interior station area behind her can barely be made out, being dark and obscured, compared to the DVD where everything can be clearly seen. The color was better than the DVD but was still rather dull. I have the TT on order so will be interested in doing a comparison, to see if I agree with you that the TT is even worse!
I recommend that you also do what I did and compare the colors and the brightness of the DVD against the Blu-ray disc. To my eyes, the DVD gets it about right while the Blu-ray disc is too dark. I'd be interested in your opinions about both comparisons.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I previously said that contrary to the above, i didn't think much of the BBC TV showing of THREE COINS.

I now have the TT and am very pleased with the picture quality. To say that it is not as good as the BBC showing is absurd because In comparison the BBC version looks like upscale SD - I suspect that's what it is. Here are a couple of examples simply taken off my TV screen. The top one is the BBC broadcast. The one below is the TT, which apart from the vastly better definition is also not as dark.
three5 (2).JPG
three4 (2).JPG
three9 (2).JPG
three8 (2).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks