World Wide Stereo

Adding Atmos speakers? (1 Viewer)

728x90

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
This is what I learned from this Thread:
First; When a sound engineer mix Atmos and all of the other channels for a movie, they do so with the intent for the movie to be shown on a theater system that has its speakers correctly configured, as determined by the decoder engineers. In other words; A movie's sound mix is made to best fit a particular speaker configuration. The movie may sound great on a system configured differently from the ideal standard, but it will not sound the way the movie's sound engineer intended.

Secondly; For Atmos, we are not limited to speakers mounted to wall board. We can mount high quality speakers, enclosures and all, in the ceiling. Some of us go so far as to make the area where the ceiling speaker is mounted, into a properly sized enclosure.

Thirdly; Height sounds travel from the front, to Atmos, then to back speakers, giving the watcher the illusion and feeling of objects passing overhead. Atmos speakers are also used for atmospheric sounds. Only overhead Atmos speakers can truly do justice to these experiences.

Fourthly; Reflective Atmos speakers, like side and front mounted ones, bring compromise to the intended experience. Atmos speakers mounted directly above the mains is the worse of the three because, for pass over use, there timing will be a little off.

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is what I learned from this Thread:

Fourthly; Reflective Atmos speakers, like side and front mounted ones, bring compromise to the intended experience.

But that doesn't mean it can't sound great.

I would add number 5: Do the best you can do in your room with the budget you have and don't worry about the compromises. Just sit back and enjoy the sound.

Sometime this year I am going to get up to my attic and makes some holes. I'm just not overly motivated since the main reason for getting the new receiver was passing 4k without jumping thru hoops. I considered speakers sitting on top of my mains but I figured if I'm going to do it I should just do it all the way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have a ceiling fan in my ground floor family room with those exact bounce speakers. Works fine, other than the occasional fan noise. I personally wouldn't ceiling mount them but seem to recall others having done so to positive effect. Fixing the angles might be weird...
I ordered these speakers on February 12th on amazon.
They’ve gone from $100 back to $200 over and over and still haven’t shipped and now listed as Unavailable.

Pioneer’s site has them unavailable.

Have they stopped making these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks