What's new

After over a decade, I have upgraded my DSLR to a mirrorless camera. The Canon R6 Mark II + RF 24-70 f/2.8 IS USM (inbound, not yet arrived) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In continuation from my reply in the iPhone 15PM thread...

I know what you're asking: "If you find the iPhone 15PM camera to be so great, why did you just drop ducats to upgrade your old DSLR to a mirrorless camera?"

So a couple of weeks ago I eyed an old PC I hadn't used in over a decade sitting in the corner. I knew it had files I'd never transferred, including pics I had taken with my ex of over 12 years. I knew there was almost a whole life there and so I decided to plug it in, boot it up (Windows Vista Enterprise, in case you're wondering) and transfer what I thought to be important memories. Turns out we had upwards to 400GB of photos and videos, including most everything I shot with my Canon 7D that I purchased around 2010. That was an APS-C crop sensor camera, and since I was in a different financial situation then, it was the most I could reasonably afford at the time, and I splurged on a decent EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. Basically that lens is just below an L lens in quality but above the standard mass market Canon lenses. For a couple of friends' weddings, I rented an EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM for the events.

My findings were eye-opening.

Even with a now 14 year old DSLR crop sensor camera and EF-S glass (and the rented 70-200 was probably closer to 2 decades old), the shots I captured in RAW back in 2010-2013 absolutely exceeds even the best the shots I can take on the iPhone 15 Pro Max, even when I shoot in RAW on the phone.

At some point there's no getting around the superiority of a larger sensor, which even the "1.6X smaller than full frame" crop sensor has over what's inside the iPhone (and all other smartphone cameras). I confirmed what I'd long theorized. The best smartphone cameras cannibalized the market for the traditional point-and-shoot cameras, outperforming many of them. But for quality DSLR bodies and dedicated glass, it will just never be a match. I wondered: if a decade and a half old camera tech and two decades old glass could do that, what could the current gen of DSLR/mirrorless cameras do?

I hit my up some of my old trusty camera review sites (DP Review, several high profile YouTubers) and, knowing that none of my old glass would work on modern Canons, I was actually free to choose what I wanted in any ecosystem. After an exhaustive amount of research, and knowing what I wanted out of my next camera (namely: the best relatively affordable combo of shooting photos and videos, of roughly equal priority but if I had to favor one it would be photography by a small margin) the camera I decided on is was the Canon R6 Mark II with the 24-70 f/2.8 IS USM.

The finalists were between that and the Sony A7 IV. When using some comparator tools in DP Review and other sites, I just liked how the Canon handled higher ISO noise in RAW just a smidge better (noticeable in ISO 6400 and higher), and also the readout speed greatly reduced the rolling shutter effect in 4K60 videos. It also didn't crop 4K videos on the sensor, it used the full frame and if you record to an external ATOMOS recorder, you can actually record in 6K :blink:.

Yes there are downsides and tradeoffs. Most notably: Canon has locked out 3rd party lenses from the RF ecosystem, they insist on using mini HDMI vs. full size HDMI, and they don't have as high a dynamic range as the Sony when recording HDR. But for $2500 (body only) I'm getting a full frame beast of a machine which, probably when you adjust for inflation, is close to the $1700 I paid for the 7D in 2010. But now I have opened myself up to the full benefit of Canon's L lenses without having to factor in the 1.6X crop/zoom that I had to in the APS-C body. While it sucks that they've locked out the RF ecosystem to 3rd party...if I'm being honest the lenses I most often coveted were Canon's L lenses. So for me this isn't too much of a negative, outside of that competition won't drive down their price. And their new lenses are priced pretty similarly to what the old EF L-series lenses went for.

I am taking this foray back into DSLR/mirrorless photography a little slowly since the digital photography world has changed so much in the last 14 years. Also I want to "buy once, cry once". At least for lenses (I know the bodies will likely see substantial improvements much sooner). So I decided on the RF 24-70 f/2.8 IS USM to start as my everyday lens. Yes it doesn't get as wide as the 15-35. And I'll eventually want a telephoto. But for what I'll use it most for now, portraits (my friends are expecting their first child in November) and normal walkaround life shots, as well as vacation shots, the 24-70 will do most of the time, and the zoom ranges I'm missing with this lens...well I'll have to use my God-given zoom: my feet :laugh:

Once finances recharge, my second lens is likely going to be the RF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM. I hear rumblings that there may already be a version II in the works for that lens so I'll happily wait for that. Or I can always buy the latest version of the EF 70-200 f/2.8 III IS USM and use the EF to RF adapter. Cost actually comes out a little lower and that glass is highly respected (I used the OG v.1 of it in those old wedding photos). Initial shipping estimate is by hopefully week's end (along with 2 UHS-II 128GB Sandisk Extreme cards and a USB-C card reader) so if all goes according to plan, I'll be spending the weekend shooting! Once I get the workflow down, I'll start to contribute in the threads here.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the correction. Yes, it is a mirrorless camera, I've edited the title and the post (slightly)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats on the new camera, Carlo. I bought the same Canon R6 Mark II earlier this year and really like the body. It was an upgrade from the original EOS R in my case, as I had already migrated from dSLRs to mirrorless. My last two dSLRs were a Canon 5D3 and 7D2. I also own a Canon R10 mirrorless APS-C body.

There is a thread here regarding the transition from dSLR to mirrorless, where several of us discuss our journey. You may find some interesting info there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks @Scott Merryfield I browsed that thread and it's very insightful!

I'm looking forward to getting my equipment. As always, with Amazon Prime shipping I'm always my breath. I confirmed prior to purchase that everything was "Shipped By & Sold By: Amazon" which means it will be fully covered by Canon's warranty. But I'm always a little worried at how valuable items are handled by their warehouse and delivery folks. A lot of the time I'm pleasantly surprised at how great a condition the box arrives in...others I'm wondering if they ran it over with the truck. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I was able to find both of my old LP-E6 batteries (long since drained while in storage). I know the new LP-E6NH has like 25% more power, but according to Canon the E6s will work, but just won't last as long. So at least once I re-charge everything, I'll have one E6NH battery and two E6 backups. At some point I'm sure I'll either buy another 6NH and/or buy the BG-R10 battery grip.

I was also a little worried that on one official Canon support sheet I found on the web (might have been Canon Europe), it did not list my Speedlight 580EX II as an "officially supported flash" to the R6mk2. However users on the Googles say that combo works fine. I mostly don't shoot with flash, but when I do, I'd like to avoid laying out another $400+ on a new flash since the 580EX II has been great for me when I was using it with the 7D.

I'm super excited to be shooting on full frame for the first time. I should clarify and say "owning a full frame" for the first time, as an old friend of mine many years ago lent me his 5Dmk2 years ago for a day trip vacation, along with his L lens (I forgot what one exactly, but it was in the standard zoom range) and I remember back then going "wow, as great as my 7D shots are, this is next level..." I had also, as I mentioned, rented the 70-200 2.8 for several weddings I shot in the early 2010s.

But this will be the first time that I will own a FF camera and a true L lens. I know some in the community were calling the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM the "unofficial L lens for the crop sensor family", and don't get me wrong it was a great lens overall and by far the best lens in the EF-S family at the time...and maybe ever...but there were definite quality differences when I was shooting with my friend's 5D+L glass vs. my 7D+EF-S, and since I didn't magically get better at photography by simply being lent those items, I do believe that better equipment can make a difference. Even for the wedding photos where the 7D remained constant but had the 70-200 2.8 attached, the quality difference of the resulting shots are readily apparent to the naked eye.

Yes I get that the eye behind the lens, and the brain powering it, is the most important part of the process. But keeping those things constant (since I can't become anyone else other than me), my experience over the years has been that better gear helps to yield better results. If I'm let down by the results, I'll know it's my fault and not the gear.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It will most likely come by FedEx, and you'll have to sign for it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It will most likely come by FedEx, and you'll have to sign for it.
If that is the case, I've had marginally better luck with FedEx (though also some mishaps). I did get a warning at checkout a few days ago that "someone will have to sign for the package" which was great to see. However I just looked on the site's tracking and the last status (midnight last night) was that it's being processed at a local hub that handles most of the Amazon packages destined for my home (being in L.A. there's a few different local hubs but this is one I recognize) and it still has a TBA##### tracking number as opposed to the typical FedEx or UPS formatted tracking number. Regardless, all of my important meetings end by noon my time today, and I'll have my ringer on if they need to be buzzed in, and the tracking webpage running in the background, and will be watching for the shipment like a hawk. :laugh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm surprised it shows a TBA number. It was my understanding that Amazon drivers aren't equipped to handle signature requirements. I buy a LOT from Amazon, including items around $1,000, and they are just dropped off by Amazon. This includes a Nikon Z5 and some lenses in the $1K range. But, the Nikon Z7ii I bought last year came by FedEx. I don't live in a major metropolitan area, but it's populated enough. The Amazon destination facility is only about 15 miles away, and Denver is 60 miles away.

I'm curious why you don't use the "Quote" feature, so the person you respond to receives notice.

EDIT: Now it's there. I don't know if it was edited or if there was a glitch.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks @Scott Merryfield I browsed that thread and it's very insightful!

I'm looking forward to getting my equipment. As always, with Amazon Prime shipping I'm always my breath. I confirmed prior to purchase that everything was "Shipped By & Sold By: Amazon" which means it will be fully covered by Canon's warranty. But I'm always a little worried at how valuable items are handled by their warehouse and delivery folks. A lot of the time I'm pleasantly surprised at how great a condition the box arrives in...others I'm wondering if they ran it over with the truck. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I was able to find both of my old LP-E6 batteries (long since drained while in storage). I know the new LP-E6NH has like 25% more power, but according to Canon the E6s will work, but just won't last as long. So at least once I re-charge everything, I'll have one E6NH battery and two E6 backups. At some point I'm sure I'll either buy another 6NH and/or buy the BG-R10 battery grip.

I was also a little worried that on one official Canon support sheet I found on the web (might have been Canon Europe), it did not list my Speedlight 580EX II as an "officially supported flash" to the R6mk2. However users on the Googles say that combo works fine. I mostly don't shoot with flash, but when I do, I'd like to avoid laying out another $400+ on a new flash since the 580EX II has been great for me when I was using it with the 7D.

I'm super excited to be shooting on full frame for the first time. I should clarify and say "owning a full frame" for the first time, as an old friend of mine many years ago lent me his 5Dmk2 years ago for a day trip vacation, along with his L lens (I forgot what one exactly, but it was in the standard zoom range) and I remember back then going "wow, as great as my 7D shots are, this is next level..." I had also, as I mentioned, rented the 70-200 2.8 for several weddings I shot in the early 2010s.

But this will be the first time that I will own a FF camera and a true L lens. I know some in the community were calling the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM the "unofficial L lens for the crop sensor family", and don't get me wrong it was a great lens overall and by far the best lens in the EF-S family at the time...and maybe ever...but there were definite quality differences when I was shooting with my friend's 5D+L glass vs. my 7D+EF-S, and since I didn't magically get better at photography by simply being lent those items, I do believe that better equipment can make a difference. Even for the wedding photos where the 7D remained constant but had the 70-200 2.8 attached, the quality difference of the resulting shots are readily apparent to the naked eye.

Yes I get that the eye behind the lens, and the brain powering it, is the most important part of the process. But keeping those things constant (since I can't become anyone else other than me), my experience over the years has been that better gear helps to yield better results. If I'm let down by the results, I'll know it's my fault and not the gear.
Regarding batteries: I bought a couple of thesethird party LP-E6NH batteries. They work fine, both in the camera and in the Canon-supplied charger. I refuse to pay Canon's ridiculous prices for their own batteries unless absolutely necessary (right now no third party makes completely compatible batteries for my Canon R10, so I had to buy a 2nd battery from Canon).

Your 580EX II flash should work fine on the R6 MII. My old Speedlite 430EX II works with no issues.

You will want to get a couple of decent SDXC memory cards. The compact flash cards from your 7D will not work. I am using Lexar Gold 128GB cards in my R6, and the less expensive Lexar Silver 128GB cards in my R10. I would suggest SDXC II U3 V60 cards to keep up with the body's write speed requirements for photo bursts and video.

I know you already ordered from Amazon, but B&H offers a Payboo credit card where they will pay your sales tax. I order pretty much all my photo equipment from them. They provide great service, too. The first R6 I received had a non-functioning main dial, and they handled the exchange extremely well. B&H uses Fed Ex for shipping, and requires a signature.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: Now it's there. I don't know if it was edited or if there was a glitch.
I'm guessing it's a glitch because I do, in general, use the quote function. I have purchased high dollar items from Amazon, but in the past I've usually had it shipped to the local hub so I can pick it up on my own time vs. waiting for it to arrive. So this is the first four-figure purchase I've had shipped to my home in a while. So yeah, not sure why it still has a TBA number, but that's what the site (and app) is telling me. Actually I got teased by a notification on my lock screen from the app on my phone saying "your pkg is 3 stops away" but then when I checked the app it still has last night's message of being processed at the facility (so does the full website), and not Out for Delivery.

Cruel.

Your 580EX II flash should work fine on the R6 MII. My old Speedlite 430EX II works with no issues.
Ironically, the 430EX was listed in that document as officially supported, which is why I worried about the 580EX...

You will want to get a couple of decent SDXC memory cards. The compact flash cards from your 7D will not work. I am using Lexar Gold 128GB cards in my R6, and the less expensive Lexar Silver 128GB cards in my R10. I would suggest SDXC II U3 V60 cards to keep up with the body's write speed requirements for photo bursts and video.
I bought a pair of 128 GB SDXC UHS-II Sandisk Extreme Pro V60 (claimed 250MB/s R, 150MB/s W speeds) cards, as well as an SD4.0 USB-C reader claiming 312Mbps transfer rate (gotta love switching from MB/s to Mbps lol). Hopefully that's enough to get me off the ground until I decide whether I need more storage. I don't have any major trips planned in the next month so I'm just shooting locally. Since there won't be any "make or break" assignments, or once in a lifetime vacations, I won't be shooting in duplicate, so I'll have use of the full 256GB.

I know you already ordered from Amazon, but B&H offers a Payboo credit card where they will pay your sales tax. I order pretty much all my photo equipment from them. They provide great service, too. The first R6 I received had a non-functioning main dial, and they handled the exchange extremely well. B&H uses Fed Ex for shipping, and requires a signature.
Oh man wish I'd known that. But on the positive side, my CC apparently has some sweetheart deal with Amazon which allowed me to spread out payments over 24 months at 0% APR. While I'd love to have saved tax, I'm able to spread the pain out so it's basically like an extra internet+cable service package with a 2 year commitment :laugh:.

I did enjoy my one trip to B&H back in 2010 (or thereabouts) while visiting NYC. It's like Disneyland for photography enthusiasts.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
@Scott Merryfield are you on the latest firmware? I see Canon just released one very recently and I'm positive the new camera won't have it when it arrives. Is it stable/safe to install right away? I'd upgraded my 7D a few times years ago without a hitch but wanted to get confirmation from a fellow of a successful upgrade.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
B&H is great! I just finally reapplied for their new Payboo card since I finally have something to order from them again -- ~8.9%. NYC sales tax savings definitely beats most any other deal from whichever legitimate dealer, especially on stuff that won't generally vary much, if at all, in pricing. :D:cool:

B&H also has a pretty good used/refurbed section as well -- in fact, I just bought an inexpensive prime lens that way. :cool:

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So...it was Amazon deliveries. And there was no signature attempt. I was just monitoring my phone notifications while working and it said "Delivered" and went to my front door and there it was.

Fortunately the box looks to be in about the best shape I've ever seen an Amazon box arrive in, and the contents inside looked to be in fine shape as well.

Just plugged in the charger and battery, and will update when all of that is done.

IMG_6157.jpg
IMG_6158.jpg

Game on!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
@Scott Merryfield are you on the latest firmware? I see Canon just released one very recently and I'm positive the new camera won't have it when it arrives. Is it stable/safe to install right away? I'd upgraded my 7D a few times years ago without a hitch but wanted to get confirmation from a fellow of a successful upgrade.
Yes, I upgraded the firmware a few days ago. Everything went well, but I haven't used the camera since. I have never had a Canon firmware update cause an issue, though, and I have owned quite a few bodies over the years - - Rebel XT, 40D, 7D, 7D2, 5D3, M50, EOS R, R6m2, R10. I've installed one or more updates on all of them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I upgraded the firmware a few days ago. Everything went well, but I haven't used the camera since. I have never had a Canon firmware update cause an issue, though, and I have owned quite a few bodies over the years - - Rebel XT, 40D, 7D, 7D2, 5D3, M50, EOS R, R6m2, R10. I've installed one or more updates on all of them.
Cool thanks! Yeah my 7D upgrades went smoothly so I was hoping it was just more of the same.

Curiously, I've never owned a lens that had updatable firmware (I just checked and the EF-S 17-55 doesn't have any from the Canon site). Yikes, who knew. Guess I need to learn how to check, and possibly update, the firmware on the RF 24-70.

Looks like Canon ships the battery at a very low charge state, as after 40 minutes it's still on the single blink per second stage. Got used to Apple where, when you first unbox your new iPhone, you're greeted with a battery that's around 3/4 charged. Looks like I'll be waiting a few hours before being able to take my first test shots.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... somehow neglected to offer my congrats (a bit earlier) on the upgrade. Definitely much congrats on that!

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Man and Sam. Upgraded the firmware. Body was on 1.1.4 and 1.2.0 is the current. The 24-70 L is already on the latest firmware so that's good.

It is a hefty beast with the lens on it. Glad I ate my Wheaties before picking it up. The 7D was a very nice camera, my first (and as it turns out, likely my only) DSLR. But there's a level of fit and finish to this new kit that exceeded even that. Shooting random @#$@ around the home and am already loving what I'm seeing. Shooting handheld with only normal interior light going from ISO 400/800/1600/3200/6400 and I can't believe how great this thing handles noise on high ISOs. On my 7D, out of the camera ISO 3200 was already starting to become noticeable and I avoided 6400 like the plague. Right now on the test shots I took at ISO 6400 with whatever default noise reduction the camera's got going on...looks great. Not just usable, but actually really good. Admittedly I haven't delved deep into the menus to disable any processing that is enabled out of the box, so maybe they've got some aggressive noise correction setting enabled but it looks darned good to my eyes right now.

I have to confess, when I came across those wedding shots I took with the 7D+EF 70-200 2.8, I worried that they were so good, I might not see a huge improvement and feel like I might have just wasted five grand. Ten minutes into shooting and I already know this was money well spent. And I haven't even gone outside yet.

What I'm deathly afraid of is that I'm going to love shooting with this so much this weekend that I'm going to give in to temptation and spring for that RF 70-200 2.8 while it's still $300 off instead of waiting for the ver. II refresh that is rumored to be released imminently. I'm not one of those who is bothered by the fact that the RF 70-200 telescopes. I like the fact that when it's stored for travel, the lens footprint is smaller than its EF counterpart.

Also, I wondered how I'd react to the electronic viewfinder. Well, early returns are that I don't mind it at all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I think large maximum aperture lenses are mostly a waste of money in the digital era. For example, in the Nikkor Z line, I can spend $2,400 on a 24-70mm f/2.8 S and have an enormous, heavy, extremely expensive lens that's rather limited. Or, I can get a 24-120mm f/4 S (both are their top, "S" line) for less than half the cost, $1,100, and have a significantly more versatile lens that doesn't feel like a brick. The importance of "Bokeh" is horribly overstated. It simply is not worth paying more than double for a lens that, in the real world, is significantly less flexible.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Yeah, wish the 24-120 f/4 S was available when I originally bought my Z6 -- I'm fine enough w/ my 24-70 f/4 S for foreseeable future, but if I could do a good trade-in, I would.

So anyway, @Carlo_M, IOW, you really didn't need to upgrade the iPhone afterall... ;):lol::D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks