What's new

Amazon has officially acquired MGM (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hopefully my MGM dvds hold up and dont crap out like Warners and some others did.

You've never heard of Blu-rays? ;):lol:

But seriously, what particular MGM titles are you hoping for that aren't already on BD? I'm sure there are some of course...

_Man_

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Amazon also own the Internet Data Movie Base so one can expect even more ads that few people watch. They are forever advertising their own mostly crappy films on IMDB

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have mixed feelings about the buy-out. The MGM and United Artists properties have been kicked around for decades. MGM was once the biggest movie studio in Hollywood. Today the brand doesn't carry the same weight. Ted Turner sold off the famed studio lot and kept its original library. Kirk Kerkorian bought and sold MGM/UA a number of times, first selling it to Ted Turner, buying back remnants of it and Orion Pictures then finally selling it for good to Sony.

Regarding physical media, I think the major studios have been phoning it in for years. They seem to put as little effort as possible into retail movie disc products compared to what they did in the peak years of the DVD format around the early 2000's. The general public has some blame to take for this problem. So many people have gravitated to the relative convenience of streaming. Maybe the studios don't think it's worth it to spend more money putting more effort and goodies into a retail physical product. Residential Internet speeds have increased quite a lot over the years making the streaming experience more tolerable, except for sparsely populated areas where Internet speeds are stuck in DSL or worse range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slp22
Recent bookmarks