What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Amazon, Target or Best Buy?? (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

Here in the wilds of Bermuda, I do not have the option of shopping for HD DVD other than on line. However, I am making a trip off the rock in a couple of weeks and can take advantage of Best Buy or Target.

I am on the Amazon 10% discount list and that is how I have shopped for HD DVD's recently. Shipping to Bermuda is very expensive though so I have been putting off recent titles in favor of picking them up when I am away (The Departed, Babel, HAppy Feet, Bullitt, and a few more come to mind)

Are the prices and selections as good or better at BB and or Target for HD DVD? Am I better off ordering from Amazon and having them shipped to the address in the US where I am staying?

My only brick and mortar experience buying HD DVD has been through Future shop in Canada and their selection was good but not all encompassing.

I like the experience of going shopping at Best Buy, I love wandering around all the new technology, so I will go to Best buy regardless, but will I be able to find all the HD DVD's I want at a price that is as good as Amazon?

Thanks for the comments,

Dave

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy's prices are basically hovering at $5 below retail, so HD DVDs that cost $18 + shipping (with 10% off) at Amazon cost $25 + tax at Best Buy. Combos that are $25 + shipping at Amazon are $35 + tax at BB.

Target's prices are maybe a little better than Best Buy's, but their selection (at least at the one I shop at) is terrible.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I recently did a rather long extensive search of alot of HD DVD titles and Amazon is by far and away the least expensive. Granted I got in on their 10% off promo last August but still their prices are a bit lower.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Thanks Jason and Tim, appreciate the response.

I think maybe ordering from Amazon might be the least expensive most reliable option (there is a good plug for Amazon!) and would guarantee I get the DVD's I want. The 10% off and Amazon's already low prices really are hard to beat. Shipping within the US is also very reasonable.

For me, it is just the shipping and duty, coupled with the long wait for arrival that is generally frustrating when using Amazon. However, if i ship with in the US, I will avoid all of those problems.

Thanks again,

Dave

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good luck Dave. I agree going into a store like Best Buy can be fun and if you're strange like me, I like finding the best copy that looks nearly perfect on the outside. I have issues. :eek:...but it's hard to beat the prices at Amazon.

You might try DVD Empire too. I think they have good ratings as well.

Good luck. :)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Tim,

I have met people like you! I may even be people like you...

Are you the kind of person that buys things and leaves them in the package?

Considering I buy doubles of some cd's so that I can keep an unopened copy (MFSL CD"S mostly but a few others) buy two copies of comics for the same reason, buy Star Wars toys and other eclectic things and leave them unopened in the package... I must have the same issues!

Dave

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Sign up for the Amazon Prime trial, and get free 2 day shipping within US. Pick up in US.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:laugh: :P

Well...I did once own some collectible type stuff that I would buy 2 of...but normally no. ;)

But dvds and HD DVDs. The case MUST be in perfect condition. Even if it means going thru the entire rack. :crazy:

Dave>h

Second Unit
Tim,

Looks like I have bigger issues than you do!

Although I am not so concerned about the case of a DVD as you are but to each there own.

I did my order through Amazon and am having it sent to South Carolina. I think I picked up 10 new HD DVD (Phantom of the Opera, Mummy Returns, Children of Men, Happy Feet, The Departed, Babel, Field of Dreams and a couple of others that I can't recall at this time...).

Must admit, the lack of HD DVD titles recently has me a bit worried about the format but with the Matrix and some others coming out, things are defintely looking up later in the year. I have not bought any since x-mas (promised myself I would watch all of those before buying anymore!) and I could only find the above that I wanted (and POTO and Mummy returns were a stretch!)

Love the High def though!!

Dave

PS Really like your home theater pictures, that is a serious Star Wars obsession!! AS a total aside, I met Princess Leia on the weekend. Carrie Fisher was a judge for the local film festival. Absolutely kicking myself for not taking my camera but very cool to meet her.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My Best Buy and Target experiences are just like Jason's.

Some Wal Marts(not all) carry them as well and they are discounted pretty decently. Departed was $29 the last time I looked.

It might be worth a shot if you will shop at Wal Mart. Some folks won't.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Shane,

Thanks for the comments.

No problems shopping at Wal mart. I expect to be visiting it or Target while I am in SC, along with Best Buy.

Regards,

Dave

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My local Target has but a handful of HD DVD & Blu-ray titles. Hardly worth having the space for. They say they will expand....but they told me this back in Feb.

Both of the Walmarts here have ZERO HD titles of any kind. They have a couple of titles for BD near the PS3 case and one title King Kong on top of the XBox HD DVD drive.

Looks like you really racked up Dave. :emoji_thumbsup: Enjoy...and it does look like 2007 is picking up steam for the format.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber

I got Amazon Prime last week. On Monday I ordered Lethal Weapon on HD-DVD, and I chose the free two day shipping. On Tuesday I got an email saying it was shipped. Still haven't gotten it.

Dave>h

Second Unit
"Looks like you really racked up Dave. Enjoy...and it does look like 2007 is picking up steam for the format."

Actually, I thought the order was bit light! At the Future shop 3 for 2 sale at Christmas, I picked up 21 I think!

Love the movies and REALLY love HD on my TV. It makes me feel my investment in HT equipment has finally paid off. DVD always looked good but pixelization and some other problems inherent to the format always made the experience somewhat less than the theater experience. With HD, the Home experience really is as good as the local multiplex experience and inmost cases better...

Dave

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thread bump. Amazon is definitely the best place to find the best deals on Blu-rays as I (re-)discovered during a recent shopping spree. I was able to get a lot of stuff really cheap (some used) compared to BB or even other online retailers. I hardly ever stop at BB anymore these days except to grab the occasional exclusive. And even today I still suffer from sticker shock at some of the prices at BB. For instance, I went in to grab the Dressed To Kill blu and couldn't believe they wanted $24.99 for it! Even Mimic was too expensive I thought, at $20. So I got to Amazon and guess what? They had Mimic for $10 and I got DTK from a third-party seller for twelve bucks! Someone once said B&Ms were dying and I refused to accept or believe it but now I have no doubt it true.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Best Buy currently has a number of titles for $9.99, beating Amazon. And don't forget Barnes and Noble. They can be the cheapest, especially when combining sales with coupons.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
elDomenechHTF said:
Thread bump. Amazon is definitely the best place to find the best deals on Blu-rays as I (re-)discovered during a recent shopping spree. I was able to get a lot of stuff really cheap (some used) compared to BB or even other online retailers. I hardly ever stop at BB anymore these days except to grab the occasional exclusive. And even today I still suffer from sticker shock at some of the prices at BB. For instance, I went in to grab the Dressed To Kill blu and couldn't believe they wanted $24.99 for it! Even Mimic was too expensive I thought, at $20. So I got to Amazon and guess what? They had Mimic for $10 and I got DTK from a third-party seller for twelve bucks! Someone once said B&Ms were dying and I refused to accept or believe it but now I have no doubt it true.
I recently quit shopping at Best Buy, and I was in there every Tuesday for years. The store has gone way downhill. I went in to buy a 46" TV and had to wait a half-hour for help because everyone in the store was congregating around the new pretty girl. I went in to buy the LotR BB exclusive, and had to spend 20 minutes talking to half the store to find out how to preorder the exclusive edition. Went in to pick up the BB exclusive and had to wait half an hour because the employees still had no idea there was a exclusive edition and had to search the store for it. Went in to pre-order Star Wars, as advertised in the weekly flier, and no one knew what I was talking about. Told me it was "Online only", went home, went through the site's preorder steps, and on the last page it told me I had to go pick up my pre-order bonus at the store available that day. So they had the pre-order bonus in the store, and no-one even knew there was a pre-order promo. This was all in just 3 months. I don't shop there anymore. I go to Amazon.com for everything now. Especially since I can get day-of-release preorder deliveries. What I might lose in price, I make up for in gas saved, and I don't have to wait around for half-an-hour because none of the employees know anything about what's in the weekly flier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks