What's new

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Jake Gyllenhaal and Yahya Abdul Mateen II are brothers pulling off a bank heist in Ambulance(2022), a Michael Bay remake of the 2005 Danish film.

Ambulance (2022)

Released: 08 Apr 2022
Rated: R
Runtime: 136 min

Director: Michael Bay
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Eiza González
Writer(s): Chris Fedak, Laurits Munch-Petersen, Lars Andreas Pedersen

Plot: Two robbers steal an ambulance after their heist goes awry.

IMDB rating: 6.1
MetaScore: 55

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, Spanish 7.1 DD+:Spanish 7.1 DD+, French 5.1 DD...

Continue reading...

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I recently tried to watch Bay's 6 underground on Netflix. The first 20 minutes was a ridiculously fun car chase. Then I quickly lost interest and thought, if only the rest of the movie could have sustained that energy.

Sounds like Ambulance is that movie. A 2 hour ridiculous car chase. I'm not a very big Michael Bay fan, too many cuts, the camera never stops moving. He's always in commercial mode. But I'll definitely check this out in a week when it's available as a rental.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
This was disappointing, and I really wanted to like it -- being a Bay fan from back in the day, I loved pretty much everything this guy did, regardless of how cheesy it was (The Rock, Armageddon, Bad Boys, et al). From everything I was reading before we rented this last night through Redbox, Bay was basically back to form and in his wheelhouse, crafting a modern day version of those aforementioned action barnstormers.

Alas, I didn't really get that from this; my wife really liked it, but I saw it kind of like how sleroi above saw it -- a two-plus-hour chase that didn't really go anywhere. Sure, Bay's signature style was all over this....the facial closeups while lens flare rips through the image, some slo-mo dramatics, the vulgarity in the dialogue. But overall, it just fell flat to me; I didn't think any one actor gave any kind of great performance here, and at times I felt like many of the performances were awkward, eliciting the opposite effect of what they were intended to elicit (I think they were going for humor with many of the sequences, but I just rolled my eyes most of the time).

Moderator edit: nope to this whole damn paragraph

However, aside from all that -- the standard 1080p Blu-ray was absolute DEMO quality, and I wasn't even running the Dolby Atmos mix (my AVR isn't equipped for Atmos or DTS:X, so the track defaulted to the Dolby TrueHD core). Boy, were the visuals eye-popping with searing colors, and damn did the LFE shake the walls in certain scenes. I can only imagine what the UHD Blu-ray release looks like...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Additional posts deleted

1655783989726.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks