What's new

Any news about Fred Astaire on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I seem to remember reading an article last year about restoration work and/or possible DVD releases of the Astaire/Rogers musicals. Has anyone heard any recent information about this? Or about possible releases of other Astaire movies (particularly Band Wagon)?

The recent release of Broadway Melody of 1940 has got me itching for more Fred.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Just hope Warner releases some Astaire/Rogers flicks soon. I read that The Band Wagon was going into some restoration work. Maybe it will be relased next year along with Easter Parade. And please WB, I'm just waiting for a really gorgeous copy of Royal Wedding. Can't stand those horrible public domain prints.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
We seem to have been waiting an age for the Astaire-Rogers flicks but to give Warner their due they have really upped the release rate of their classics this year. First the winners of the online poll including the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde double feature then the Academy Award Winners then those Judy Garland titles now the Marx Brothers and we aren't even halfway through the year yet ! I only wish other studios would release their classics at a similar rate.

If you can't wait for Warner and have multi-region equipment there is a boxset from Universal UK of four Fred and Gingers. I can't vouch for the quality although I saw clips on a Breakfast TV programme and they looked great. I'm really surprised The Band Wagon isn't available yet. In fact after April it will be the only true classic MGM musical not on DVD. Its much better than Easter Parade and almost in the Singin' In The Rain class. Hopefully it will be out soon.

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I have him in DVD 'On The Beach" 1954 a cold war thriller, he played a race car driver. I have him in "Ghost Story" also, and just a glymse of him in a 'flicker' presented John Cofey in "The Green Mile". I would like to see him and backwards stepping Ginger Rogers in that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks