What's new

Any news on LORD JIM? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
None that I am aware of. I don't know that decent source materials even exist. The import I bought is almost unwatchable.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It all seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Sony front in the last few years. Is Grover Crisp still overseeing the restoration work? Twilight Time used to release a of lot of Sony titles, but now of course that's dried up. And yes, I'd like Lord Jim & Barabbas, & even MacKenna's Gold. Who knows if they'll ever get released (MacKenna's Gold is being released on Blu-ray in Germany at the end of the week, I'd think it's the same old transfer as the French release, but sans imposed subs, anyway I've ordered it).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It all seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Sony front in the last few years. Is Grover Crisp still overseeing the restoration work?
Yes, I have that impression too, apart from that fabulous Rita Hayworth box-set. I'd like to know what's going on. Sony's ex-Columbia catalog is not vast so by now they should have started on the remaining big titles.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
It all seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Sony front in the last few years. Is Grover Crisp still overseeing the restoration work? Twilight Time used to release a of lot of Sony titles, but now of course that's dried up. And yes, I'd like Lord Jim & Barabbas, & even MacKenna's Gold. Who knows if they'll ever get released (MacKenna's Gold is being released on Blu-ray in Germany at the end of the week, I'd think it's the same old transfer as the French release, but sans imposed subs, anyway I've ordered it).
Another title missing…The Victors.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
is that the one from Spain?

I sold it and don't remember where it came from. It might have been from Spain, but if it was this one: it looked awful. It was not a boot, however. The one shown here is Region B, has subtitles, etc., which almost certainly means it is also not a boot.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have the French Blu Ray . The transfer is ok...a slight notch above the DVD.
The aspect ratio is 2.35. All region
96118_front.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I sold it and don't remember where it came from. It might have been from Spain, but if it was this one: it looked awful. It was not a boot, however. The one shown here is Region B, has subtitles, etc., which almost certainly means it is also not a boot.

this is the one I was talking about, from eBay listing. One pf many sources from Spain -

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Criterion still does some Columbia titles, as does Mill Creek (I feel a "from the sublime to the ridiculous" line coming to the fore...)

I've been out of touch with some things in the last several months, but I understand that Kino now has a Sony deal, and I imagine that Indicator in the UK (and supposedly starting to have a stateside operation) is still cranking some out.

After (re-)watching a bunch of Poitier films the other week, I'm itching for (US) Blu-ray releases of The Bedford Incident and Buck and the Preacher. The latter actually looks pretty good, even on DVD. The former could use a bit of resto, though.

(For Columbia Poitiers, I also (re-)watched The Long Ships, which is silly fun, but I can probably live without a BD -- though I'd snap one up if they released it.)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The aspect ratio is 2.35. All region View attachment 126026
I just popped on this French box set, 2 BRD and a nice booklet in the mix. A little hefty @ $43 but I do enjoy this title and was willing to go for it via Amazon!! I'm hoping for the best, the Sapnish dub seems to have to much bagage and hoping this is the better of the 2 releases.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just popped on this French box set, 2 BRD and a nice booklet in the mix. A little hefty @ $43 but I do enjoy this title and was willing to go for it via Amazon!! I'm hoping for the best, the Sapnish dub seems to have to much bagage and hoping this is the better of the 2 releases.
I just did the same. Didn't know it had a French release. Only £15 ($20) delivered for me!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just did the same. Didn't know it had a French release. Only £15 ($20) delivered for me!
I don't mind dropping the money, as long as the product is good!! I quess we'll both see. Let me know what you think? I heard many negitives in connection to the Spanish release's poor quality...fingers crossed!! ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The aspect ratio is 2.35. All region View attachment 126026

This is also what I have. I have not watched it in some time. I don't recall that this French edition looked awful. I thought it looked like an older transfer perhaps not from a fantastic source but was quite watchable. This may be the best way to watch the film right now. I don't have a DVD of the film so can't make that comparison.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This is also what I have. I have not watched it in some time. I don't recall that this French edition looked awful. I thought it looked like an older transfer perhaps not from a fantastic source but was quite watchable. This may be the best way to watch the film right now. I don't have a DVD of the film so can't make that comparison.
It is the best we have for now.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It is the best we have for now.
I do have the DVD came out in the 90s sometime, so I’ll give me some source material to look at and compare but we’re going to take the chance. It’s not my first rodeo fingers crossed🍔

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I guess I got lucky seeing this one three times at 70mm screenings between ca. 2009 and 2015 and one excellent print with an introduction by Grover Crisp stood out. Memorable occasion with a ca. 60ft screen at the Berlinale.

That will do for now as I happen to like it but it is not one of my favorites so I can wait for a Blu-ray to come around that is worth buying. The current one imo is not worth it but it is better than the DVD so for now the best version available for viewing at home:

Last edited:

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
This was on television a few months ago - I think it was TCM. I remembered liking it as a kid when it frequently played on television cut up into two nights. However, the print was basically unwatchable so I gave up. I am surprised some work hasn't been done on this film yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks