What's new

Apocalypse Now (1979) (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, the UHD version will contain all three cuts on the UHD disc from what the press release said. And even if it didn’t, the existing Blu-ray was already quite good. This is not a film in danger of being lost.
True. The one downside is that it's unlikely you're ever going to see the original cut shown theatrically anymore, and this is a film that really demands to be seen on a big screen.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Since this new 2019 cut of Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie this year, is it legit to list it that way on a top ten list of movies for 2019 even though a different cut of it first came out in 1979 and it was filmed in the 70s?
Why wouldn't it be legit?
I would've said the same in 1989 when "Lawrence of Arabia" was restored to its longer, fuller and more contextual running time.

BTW, in 1984, Siskel and Ebert had jointly placed "Once Upon a Time in America" on their 10 Best and 10 Worst films of that year. "Worst" denoted the American theatrical release, which showcased one of the ugliest studio cuts and edits known to man; with a running time of 139 minutes. "Best" denoted the European theatrical release, which was the longer version that's now been available for years on BD; with a running Time: 229 minutes. Meanwhile, in 2014, "Once Upon a Time in America" enjoyed an even longer version at Cannes; which restored an extra 22 minutes and is now available with the standard European version in a 2-BD set.

NOTE: refer to "A few words about...Once Upon a Time in America - Extended Director's Cut -- BD" for more in-depth information concerning those 22 minutes.

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I wish Apocalypse Now Final Cut would have had a longer engagement in IMAX over an entire week besides two days only on a Thursday and Sunday. When this occurred a couple of weeks back my local IMAX which boasts a 70' wide screen (one of the few that used to have a 15/70 projector back in the day) had electrical problems due to a power surge and was closed for a whole week or more so I missed it. I was hoping they would reschedule but they haven't. Bummer.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I'm confused what this Final Cut is. Some said it's the same restored original theatrical cut and some said it has some extra scenes from Redux. What is this Final Cut exactly?

The biggest difference I noticed when compared to Redux was the scenes with finding the crashed helicopter and the Playboy bunnies has been taken out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a link to a detailed list of changes between "Redux" and "Final Cut"?

I know the original well enough that I can pick up on "new" footage in "Final" but I don't recall the contents of "Redux" well enough to know those changes!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have a detailed list but essentially Redux is 45 minutes longer than theatrical, while Final Cut is about half an hour longer than theatrical. Final Cut is basically a slightly shortened version of Redux.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don’t have a detailed list but essentially Redux is 45 minutes longer than theatrical, while Final Cut is about half an hour longer than theatrical. Final Cut is basically a slightly shortened version of Redux.

I know the final cut excises the scenes from Redux with the crew and the bunnies and the scene where Kurtz reads the Time magazine excepts to Willard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did try. That's why I asked. Actually, I meant the Blu Ray. I should have clarified that. :oops:
Dude, that type of information is all over the internet. For each Blu-ray released, Amazon lists the following on each BD release page:

Product details
  • Actors: Robert Duvall, Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando
  • Directors: Francis Ford Coppola
  • Format: 4K, NTSC
  • Language: English
  • Subtitles: English, French
  • Region: All Regions
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
  • Number of discs: 6
  • Rated:
    Unrated
    Not Rated
  • Studio: Lionsgate
  • DVD Release Date: August 27, 2019
  • Run Time: 183 minutes

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^not 1.78:1. Gotta get that point across.

Just finally got a copy of Final Cut (only my second ever UHD would you believe) and the quality is just stunning. If I had any complaints its that the first extras blu ray is simply recycled from the 2010 Full Disclosure set and contains the same bad encodes of the Complete Dossier supplements (jerky video, missing 5.1, etc.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorlanm
Recent bookmarks